Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default new to site quick questions on my first cruise to alaska with royal carribean

hi all,
so I will be travelling from seward down to Vancouver in june with radiance of the sea. this is the first cruise ever and am going solo. I am 36 female and am worried that there will be no other people on my cruise of my age or similar.. I have no idea what to take with me tried googling weather but it seems of no help they just say to layer up. As for optional excursions people are saying to book them independently of the ship and not sure why.. is this true?
Also would you recommend to take the drink package of tea coffee water etc is it worth it considering you are not on the ship for part of the travel..
please help thankyou kindly any information would be greatly appreciated..

cheekyhoney
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Admiral

The advice to pack clothing that can be layered is standard for Alaska cruises. The reason is simple: weather in Alaska can vary widely, even on the same day, and it doesn't matter if it is June. As amazing as it may sound, the area where you'll spend most of the cruise is a rain forest - something you'd expect to hear about South America but not Alaska. Temperatures can vary from the 40s to the upper 60s in the day and at night. Rain showers can come and go, or you can have sunny warm days all week. You just can't know for sure, so pack a compact umbrella, a couple of sweaters, a light jacket/windbreaker, blue jeans. But also don't forget you just might have days where shorts are fine!

Booking tours independently is usually fine, as the tour operators know the ship schedules well and they can be cheaper than booking on the ship. If this is your first time, and you are going solo, it might be a better idea if you stick with tours sold by the ship though. The peace of mind can be worth the extra cost. Ship sponsored excursions are typically more expensive (which is why people say book private tours), but they've rarely seemed significantly more expensive to me. Remember that most people are booking tours for 2 or more people in their cabin, so they are looking at a larger total cost.

Royal Caribbean's drink package for the non-alcoholic drinks doesn't seem like a good value to me, and it has restrictions on what you can get. Regular coffee and tea is included in your cruise price and is always available. I suggest you skip the package and just buy specialty coffees, bottled water, etc., by the drink. As you said - you are ashore a lot on an Alaska cruise. The ship is primarily your hotel and overnight transportation to the next port.

I love Alaska cruises. They are unlike any other cruise. Totally different character to them. Serene. Breathtaking at times, especially on the glacier days, heading up a fjord with soaring mountains all around.
Old March 24th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I am sure you will find many people your age....You are in for a really special cruise, I absolutely love cruising Alaska... Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 24th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

thankyou for that have replied I hate to bother you all but I have just a couple of quick questions..
I have prepaid my gratitudes but was wondering who this is too? do I need to tip my porter or the waiter etc. I am from Australia and do not want to offend anyone by not tipping them as tipping is not essential here...
Also seeing that you have cruised this before I was looking at certain excursions but was wondering if there was anything in particular that stands out.. I am doing the glaciar hlicopter, the white pass railway but tossing up wether I should do the Yukon part as well, I think I have also decided to do dog sledding, lumberjack jack show, and misty fjords and wilderness explorer.. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated

thankyou cheekyhoney
Old March 26th, 2014, 12:51 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyhoney View Post
thankyou for that have replied I hate to bother you all but I have just a couple of quick questions..
I have prepaid my gratitudes but was wondering who this is too? do I need to tip my porter or the waiter etc. I am from Australia and do not want to offend anyone by not tipping them as tipping is not essential here...
Also seeing that you have cruised this before I was looking at certain excursions but was wondering if there was anything in particular that stands out.. I am doing the glaciar hlicopter, the white pass railway but tossing up wether I should do the Yukon part as well, I think I have also decided to do dog sledding, lumberjack jack show, and misty fjords and wilderness explorer.. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated

thankyou cheekyhoney
Would just add one thing to the other comments about clothing. Be sure to have a waterproof shell type jacket that can be worn over sweatshirts or t shirts depending on the temp. We did the misty fjords and it was very wet and also quite cold ( in May ). Thank heavens for that waterproof jacket! My opinion on umbrellas, they get in the way and block the views of everyone else and it can be very windy as well.

We did a 5 glacier float plane that flew over 5 glaciers and landed on a remote river where we had a grilled chicken/fresh salmon dinner in a lodge across the river from a glacier and it was out of this world. This was Juneau, I think. It remains my favorite tour of all time.

We also did the White Pass Rail in combo with a tour by van ( independent ), that followed the same route across the pass from the railroad, all the way to Carcross, I think it was. We had lunch there and there was a museum, dog sled rides, etc. We then transferred to the railway for the trip back. I guess I am glad I did the railroad once, but IMO, the scenery from the van was spectacular, much more so than from the train. If I ever went again, I would book the van tour roundtrip and skip the train.
Old March 26th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:

thankyou cheekyhoney
Your gratuities will cover your waiter, asst. waiter, cabin steward, asst cabin steward. You can give a few dollars to the porters when you drop your bag and to whoever brings your room service order ($2). There will be an automatic 15% added to any bar order. With pre-paid gratuities you will not need to tip anyone unless you wish to give someone something for going above and beyond to make your cruise more enjoyable.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 26th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I am doing the glaciar hlicopter, the white pass railway but tossing up wether I should do the Yukon part as well
I'm assuming you have a passport since that voyage is not a closed loop cruise. The reason I ask is that I think you need to bring your passport to do the Yukon railroad excursion since you are in Canada for part of it.
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Welcome Newcomer

thankyou this helps a lot everyone any other suggestions or feedback etc is highly taken into consideration and you can keep on posting as I will keep looking on this post for other feedback, I am extremely excited about this trip as it is a once in a lifetime due to the cost of it lol, Australians like to charge for our holidays but I know it will be worth it..
thanks kindly
cheekyhoney
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for these tips. I am doing the same cruise on May 16th but in the opposite direction. Someone had mentioned layers to me too, so I'm pleased I found this thread. I will still take my umbrella in case it's needed at other times, but I take your point about using it on the ship, so that's helpful thank you.
Cheeky honey, what date in June are you travelling? I may be able to share tips on my return from the ship. If there's anything you need me to find out when I'm on it, let me know! Have you registered for the meet and greet on the ship? That's a good way of meeting people onboard. We did that on our last cruise and are doing it again on this one.
Old April 26th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalucy1301 View Post
Thanks for these tips. I am doing the same cruise on May 16th but in the opposite direction. Someone had mentioned layers to me too, so I'm pleased I found this thread. I will still take my umbrella in case it's needed at other times, but I take your point about using it on the ship, so that's helpful thank you.
Cheeky honey, what date in June are you travelling? I may be able to share tips on my return from the ship. If there's anything you need me to find out when I'm on it, let me know! Have you registered for the meet and greet on the ship? That's a good way of meeting people onboard. We did that on our last cruise and are doing it again on this one.
lisalucy
im going on june 6th and if you have any tips please let me know that would be absolutely fantastic if you do.. I hope u enjoy your trip, I know that I am looking forward to it and I cant wait.. May I ask what's a meet and greet and how do I register for it as this is my first cruise and am travelling alone lol I don't want to look completely lonesome on my trip lol.... if you do any great excursions that are worth doing please let me know expecially in kitchekaman and skagway.. I'm doing the railway summit train pass but that's all I have planned for the day..
thankyou kindly cheeky honey... have a great trip