Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Shore excursions: Skagway and Ketchikan

My husband and I are going on a Princess cruise from Whittier on July 26th. We are in our fifties and quite fit, but my husband tends to get seasick so we can't take tours on small planes or whale watching tours.
In Skagway we are trying to decide between the Princess 'Alaska nature & wildlife' vs 'Haines wilderness river adventure'. Both start with a cruise to Haines. The 1st then takes you on the bus along Chilkoot river and near Chilkoot lake. The second takes you on a boat trip to Eagle Preserve. On which tour are we more likely to see wildlife, especially bears? (Is the time of day significant? The 1st tour starts in the morning, the second starts 1:30 pm, both are 6 hours).
Before boarding, we reserved a half day boat tour in Kenai Fjords national park from Seward. Is the scenery there similar to the one on the above-mentioned tours?
In Ketchikan we were considering the Misty Fjords cruise. Would 3 such boat trips be too repetitive? Which would you recommend?
The alternative we are considering in Ketchikan is the Princess 'Bear country and wildlife' tour to the Rainforest Sanctuary. Are we likely to see any bears there at the end of July? Is it worth the price ($219 each)? We wanted to go on the 'Neets Bay bear cruise', but we are on the waiting list.
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Those are some wonderful excursions for sure, very difficult to decide between...Just one thought, how about the White Pass Railroad in Skagway, very scenic and full of history and information, worth checking into if you have too many boat rides...

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for your reply, Donna. Actually, we were thinking of taking
the White Pass Rail or White Pass Rail & Klondike Highway excursion before or after the boat trip, so we still have to decide between the 2 excursions from Skagway. Which of the 2 would you recommend?
Old June 10th, 2014, 01:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miri View Post
Thanks for your reply, Donna. Actually, we were thinking of taking
the White Pass Rail or White Pass Rail & Klondike Highway excursion before or after the boat trip, so we still have to decide between the 2 excursions from Skagway. Which of the 2 would you recommend?
We did the combo of the Highway and White Pass Rail on our trip. We booked privately through Chilkoot tours. I guess I'm glad I did the rail once, but I would never do it again. The trip by highway portion via van was superior by far to the train. The scenery was fantastic by highway. Much more so than on the train. Our guide was very knowledgeable and entertaining. He told some fascinating stories about those who walked the pass to the goldfields. If I had it to do over, I would take the highway round trip over returning via White Pass train.
Old June 17th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks, following your advice we will do at least one portion by highway...