Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

All Other Cruise Lines All cruise lines not listed by name below

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2002, 04:00 PM
loua

Default MSC - Mediterranean Shipping Cruise Line - Melody

I've been meaning to send this for the last year or so...and while I realize 12 months in the cruise industry is a long while and many changes can occur...I just wanted to say, my wife & I sailed on MSL's Melody last year out of Genoa,....It was a fine cruise at a reasonable price...this ship (now called the Melody) once sailed for the old HOME Lines as the "Atlantic"...we sailed her out of NY to Bermuda back in 1987....
Anyone wanting to sail on a classic before all these newer ships become old may want to try this line...you can't beat the price and the Italian staff is fantastic....food is also terrific...

Lou
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2002, 01:13 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: MSC - Mediterranean Shipping Cruise Line - Mel

What about the smoking situation....many European based ships have a lot of smoking( i am a non-smoker) Also, did the crew and staff speak and understand English ?.....In the past I have sailed on several great Italian liners no longer in service and would welcome "true Italian" waiters in the dining room.
Old January 14th, 2002, 07:22 AM
loua

There was non-smoking sections in all public areas of the ship...in addition, all the waiters that we came in contact with spoke English.....just one thing...this was not a fancy ship its older (with character though)...probably built in the late 50's early 60's...the food was excellent (Italian)...the entertainment was so so...on the whole though, for the price it was well worth it...probably about 3/4 of what you'd pay on any other Med cruise...
Old January 16th, 2002, 12:05 PM
anniel

I was so pleased to see your post. We are considering going on the Rhapsody in September as she goes to the Black Sea. For some apparent reason not many ships are doing the eastern Med. now. Can you tell me something about the size of the cabins on the Melody. What grade cabin did you have and how big was it? Was the dining room one sitting or two? Did the ship have a library, cinema, selfserve laundry. Did the ship seem crowded and what was the most common nationality of the passengers. I do hope you do not mind all these questions!
Old February 3rd, 2002, 02:09 PM
Bob Boucek

Anniel,
We sailed on the Melody few years back Was a great cruise, ll nights. The staff is Italian, and according to some rule somewhere, they have to have about 50% Italian passengers. It appeared right, there were also, german French Spanish and of course a bout 10 to 15% American. Entertainment was good. They put on a production of CATS. The dancers did a good job lip synching. I don't recall cabin number but it as ample, larger than some other ships the smallest cabin way down low is 137 square feet. The only complaint if you want to call it that was all the anouncements were in the five different languages of the passengers, English was last. She is a beautiful ship, Harmony is a sister ship. Happy sailing Bob
Old August 4th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: MSC - Mediterranean Shipping Cruise Line - Mel

Hi Bob,

So pleased to see your posts. Sailing on Melody on 11 November to Turkey, Greece and Malta. Very hard to find anything on MSC. I may post a newer review when I return.
The different languages won't worry me - it is an Italian ship in European waters after all. Pleased to see you thought the food and cruise staff were excellent.
I believe there isn't a lot of deck space other than around the pool. Is that correct, or is there another area under the pool deck? My reason for asking is that I am not counting on the weather being very good in November, and I would be loathe to spent most on-board time indoors.
Thanks
Robyn
Old June 20th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: MSC - Mediterranean Shipping Cruise Line - Melody

Do you know anything about the new ship called Lirica. We are considering this ship for a crise in the Mediterranean in Sept., but cannot find reviews. Any help?
Old June 23rd, 2003, 02:22 PM
Robert Boucek

Default Re: Re: MSC - Mediterranean Shipping Cruise Line - Melody

getting ready to book Lirica for April 2004 just know what I read about her. Bob Bmar wrote:

> Do you know anything about the new ship called Lirica. We are
> considering this ship for a crise in the Mediterranean in
> Sept., but cannot find reviews. Any help?