Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

All Other Cruise Lines All cruise lines not listed by name below

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Frank

Default Uniworld Budapest to Prague

Hi - My wife and I are taking the Uniworld Budapest to Prague river cruise departing June 8 Does nybody have any expereinces - good or bad? Many thanks - Frank
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Uniworld Budapest to Prague

Frank. Yes, I do have some info, my wife and I have JUST returned from the Uniworld Holland Tulip Cruise yesterday. We stayed a few extra days with friends in Amsterdam. It is a great boat, Clean and very comfortable. The food was very good, but not great the lunches left a lot to be desired. The tours were well set up and kept you going all the time. We have friends that stayed on for the next leg of the trip to Budapest. The crew is OUTSTANDING. Eva in the dining room is as sweet as they come and will be happy to give you any Hungarian recipes that you may want. The cabins are very comfortable and kept very clean. The Captain is all business and a very nice guy. I donít know if Cornell will still be the Tour Guide, but if he is get to know him, he is a lot of fun and full of information. We have been on a few other cruises, do not equate this to any other type of cruising, it just isnít the same you are in for a treat. I donít know what cabin you are in but we upgraded to Cat 1(with the big windows) for only $320.00 for both of us just a week before the cruise, it was worth every penny of it. Uniworld will make you a deal just stay on them, or have your TA do it. If you have any other questions please feel free to e-mail me at century@mail.gmtcom.com Michael Mackintosh
Old June 14th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Passenger

Default Uniworld Prague to Budapest

How was your trip? Ours are in August but I wonder if you were staying at Prague's Don Giovanni Hotel. Is the hotel pretty far from the Wenceslas Square neighborhood for those guests who want to spend their free time there? This is our first river cruise and the first to these European cities so your feedbacks are most welcomed.

Post Edited (06-16-03 20:58)
Old August 19th, 2003, 09:12 AM
BrianH

Default Re: Uniworld Prague to Budapest

So how was the Don Giovanni in Prague? Uniworld has us staying there for a few days before a cruise in December.
Old August 24th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Gary Karschnick

Default Re: Uniworld Budapest to Prague

The Don Giovani is a very nice hotel on the outskirts of Prague. You can take public transportation to the city center or a taxi. Walking is out of the question. BTW they have a very nice gift shop with nice crystal.
Old August 27th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Uniworld Prague to Budapest

We returned from this cruise on 8/18 with the following experiences:

Three tour families lost their belongings inside the Don Giovanni Hotel rooms. And during checked out, another guest lost her wallet while others found their lugguge front pockets opened widely! With the taxi driver tempering the meter to ripe off the passenger, I'll not recommand the tour to stay in this out-of-center hotel at all.

Prague had spider webs and flies everywhere probably due to over-crowded streets and lack of circulation in most places. The sightseeings, shopping and foods were totally over-rated in compare to Budapest and other cities. And on the day of touring the Prague castle/palace, me and another tour member were being pick-pocketed. Not much help from the locals either.

Due to low Rhine water level, we embarked in a port near Passau instead and stayed there for 2 days before sailing eastward. So we missed the must-see locks that join the Rhine/Main with Danube. Otherwise, everthing was pretty much as planned.

Our music theme cruise is nothing special except the Vienna night concert. They were more to kill time after super as there was no activity arranged aboard besides those.

Our cabin at Danube deck is small but comfortable and well cleaned with all the basics.

The foods were skimpy on lunch. All these 7 days, we were being served (actually we helped ourselves) the same salads, fruits, sweets, and breakfasts. The only change at lunch was the hot dish. Eating time was very rush and rigid. And even if you want to skip the tour to stay behind to relax, the restaurant closed down as schedule. Dinner is better but I don't notice any freshness nor local favour to it. The service is inadequate for 5 waiters & a supervisor (no helper) to serve 130 guests all at once.

The tours provided were the same basic city tour offered by most cities, just most of ours started in early morning with red eyes. No alternative.

Our captain is afraid of meeting people. But other staffs are friendly enough. We're well informed of what's next.

Melk & Passau were clean and attractive when comparing to Regensburg & Prague (we skipped the long-driving Nuremberg tour). Vienna is OK but Budapest is grand.

We don't find much attractions along the calm Danube river besides a few far-distance castles. What we treasured most are the small group of friendly guests to enjoy each other's accompany.

Post Edited (09-06-03 14:53)