Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

All Other Cruise Lines All cruise lines not listed by name below

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2003, 12:56 PM
squire

Default MSC Cruise Line - MSC Lirica

We are considering booking a cruise with MSC on the Lirica next year. Would appreciate any comments regarding the MSC as a company and the ship. Are they good any problems etc
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Vera E.

Default Re: MSC Cruise Line - MSC Lirica

squire:

I will be sailing on the Lirica Feb.28, 2004. I am going on a group tour with the Moose Family Center in Ormond Beach, FL. The travel agent who booked our tour was on the inaugural cruise and said it was wonderful. The food and service were good and the ship was beautiful. When are you planning on going? If it is later than Feb., I will be happy to let you know how the trip turns out. I did some research on the Mediterranean Shipping Lines and although they are just getting into the cruise business, everything I read about them is very positive. I'm looking forward to the cruise.

Vera
Old September 24th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Passenger

We will be sailing on the Lirica Jan.28 th. We haven't been able to find too much on this ship but spend a lot of time searching . When we return I will have lots of info like menus,wine lists,activites sheets and anything else we can collect. If anyone knows anythingabout this ship I would love to hear about it . Can't wait

Diane@cruiseclues.com

Old September 24th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: MSC Cruise Line - MSC Lirica

Sorry I gave the wrong date it is Jan 26th .

Diane@cruiseclues.com

Old October 6th, 2003, 02:57 PM
mor

We are going on the Lirica on the27th Dec, for the new year, it is 18 days translantic, going from Italy to carribean , had a few reviews on it ,all very good, I also met some one who has been on it, said it was excellent, so as soon as I come back ,I will post my review to you.
Old October 7th, 2003, 01:16 AM
Passenger

Since my last post, we have recently received from MSC the "SHOREX PROGRAMME - 2003/2004 CARIBBEAN SEASON MSC LIRICA". This is a document describing the Lirica Excursions for the repositioning cruise to the Caribbean, and the subsequent 2004 Caribbean and Panama Canal alternating cruises. It contains the port, the excursion code, the excursion name, it's duration, the selling price in dollars, and a description covering the details of the excursion. We also have received from MSC a "Caribbean Wine Order 2003" form, and a "BEAUTY SALON" sheet describing SPA and beauty treatments and their prices.

Previous to that, in the las week of September, we also received from MSC, two Melody Dinner menus, two Melody lunch menus, a Melody breakfast menu, and a bar list, containing the bar offerings and prices, so we have gradually been getting some answers from MSC and are pleased they have been so helpful.

Post Edited (10-07-03 00:18)
Old October 7th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Passenger

mor,

We look forward to your review, and we wish you the very best of cruises.

Old November 4th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Passenger

We are booked for the cruise on January 15th. I have had all good about the cruise line and this ship. Will send a report upon our return.
Old November 17th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Passenger

We are booked on for the January 15th cruise. Does anyone have menus and/or the shore excursions?

thanks
Old November 17th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Passenger

We are booked on for the January 15th cruise. Does anyone have menus and/or the shore excursions?

thanks
Old November 18th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: MSC Cruise Line - MSC Lirica

You posted that you have received the shore excursions and menues for the Lirica.

We are sailing on Jan 15th and would appreciate a copy. Can you either email me a copy or tell me how I might obtain a copy.

Thanks
Steve B
Old November 18th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: MSC Cruise Line - MSC Lirica

Hi Steve,

We e-mailed you the info.

Old November 18th, 2003, 07:06 PM
GERRY K

WE are booked on the April 1st sailing,looking for menus and shore excusions info? Anyone else going?

Thanks. Gerry K.
Old November 18th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Passenger

Have booked transatlantic crossing for May 15, 2004. Would love to read some reviews about the ship. Would also like to be pointed to sites of interest in Genoa and Milan. Will be doing a post cruise stay in Milan.
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Passenger

GERRY K & Lena,

We sent you an e-mail with the info we have on the Lirica.

Old December 4th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Fran Weber

I am concerned about this ship and would appreciate it if you would email what info you have. One place I read where coffee is only free at breakfast...other times you have to pay for it....only tea and water are available. I would appreciate hearing from you soon...the travel agent would like our deposit for the Panama Canal cruise on April 1. Also, I do not care for Disco music...is this all they have available?
Old December 4th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Passenger

Hi Fran,

We're not aware of the coffee problems you mention, but we will ask those which have taken the cruise (after we review some of our many e-mails with them). Note that the Caribbean & Panama Canal cruises on the Lirica have not been started yet & could be handled differently, as well. Our January cruise will have Big Band music. We have never been on a cruise which only has what you call Disco music. We'll e-mail you the other info.

Old December 31st, 2003, 07:20 AM
Beverley

We are flying from Australia to join Lirica May 15 Fort Lauderdale to Genoa. Does anyone know what type of adaptor we will need for shavers, cameras etc. The ship was built in France so presume she wil have european plugs. Also is there a passenger washing machine facility rather than use the ships laundry service.
Old January 17th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Beginner

I found the food on board Lirica to be cold to warm nearly every meal time, they could not even manage hot porridge at breakfast and as for the kippers I DARE anybody to try them. You do have to pay for tea and coffee on the ship except in the restaurant, (diabolical)! Can’t wait to hear the reaction to all of this by the American cruisers who are used to a much better standard on U.S lines. The pizzas are the worst on any ship I have tasted and they being Italian too! Electric plugs are 2 pins American type and 2 pins European also (two types in cabin) The ship is a beautiful ship and the bars and rooms are excellent, just hope things improve quickly. All the best
Old February 5th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Maui Mike

I found this review on another site. I am booked for April and considering cancelling my cruise.

We were 3 couples sailing on this cruise. This was the inaugural cruise in the US. We all thought that this trip was a big disappointment. Food was awful. Service to passengers was rude and seldom helpful. The USA hostess was not at all interested in passengers comments, requests, etc. There was no prepared decaf coffee, only packaged decaf, all of the food was poorly prepared, no seasoning, terrible presentation and almost inedible. Had sour milk the last day of cruise as well as pepper that was inedible due to odor emanating from shaker, ship ran out of butter and we were told that there were no english muffins, etc. We all had outside cabins that were acceptable. One of our group got ill and doctors on board and in hospital in Grenada said he should use wheelchair on board ship for duration of trip. None were available. We were told there were only 4 on board for 1,500 passengers. Not acceptable. On board music was missing, no messages from the captain except in emergency, in cabin tv not satisfactory. On 11 day cruise there were only 2 selections for in cabin movies, CNN did not come in half of the time and when it did, the reception was poor. A "cinema" day and night was advertised in brochure but there were no movies on board except for an afternoon opera. Lounges on pool deck were not comfortable at all. Entertainment was adequate. Most enjoyable entertainment was Les Brown, Jr. and his Band of Renown in the Lirica Lounge nightly. "Animation Team" was, most of the time, silly and slap stick. I intend to contact MSC directly as well as travel agent who booked trip for us. I think this cruise line needs to really reevaluate its service.....
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Patrick Newell

We just got back from the 01/26 cruise and our experience with this cruise line, the food, personnel, etc. was awful. Let me hear from you about your experience. Hope it was better than ours was.

Patrick Newell
Old February 12th, 2004, 06:28 PM
thatarcher

Great News!!!

MSC Cruise Lines does care about customer service because they have listened to the past passengers from the posts on the message boards and have started to make changes. MSC Cruise Lines sent me an e-mail with just some of the many changes that they are making on board the Lirica. The Internet is a great tool because the changes they are making would have taken months instead of weeks with out the internet and the message boards. I'm glad I had faith in Steve and Lucy, MSC is lucky to have good people like them working for them. They were the ones that were passing along the messages and telling the home office to make the changes. I can't wait to see the many other changes that MSC Cruise Lines will be making aboard the Lirica. Thank you to all the past passengers because of you my May 15th cruise will be a wonderful cruise. Now here are the changes.

Please note information from Italy regarding onboard service enhancements....
FREE ICE CREAM

It was agreed that Soft-Serve ice cream in two flavours and Italian ice-cream of two flavours be provided to guests free of charge between the hours of 1500 and 1700 every day. The soft-serve ice-cream (or frozen yoghurt) is to be served in cones and the Italian Ice-cream in paper (or plastic) cups with spatula. The Soft-serve ice-cream is to be offered with various toppings and decorations.

24-HOUR ROOM SERVICE:

It was agreed that with the exception of cappuccino, expresso and bar items, all elements on the new modified Room Service menu be provided to guests without charge. Logistical changes may be necessary during the introductory period.

PIZZERIA OPENING HOURS EXTENDED - MENU MODIFIED

It was agreed that the Pizzeria is to remain open until 1600 each day, and that the pizza menu is to include the following as well as current pizzas offered:

§ Plain Cheese

§ Pepperoni

§ Vegetable pizza (with sliced mushrooms, green peppers, onions etc)

24-HOUR AMERICAN COFFEE

It was agreed that American coffee, milk and sugar are to be provided on a self-serve basis at the outdoor beverage station (apart from buffet breakfast hours when this is provided on an assisted-service basis).

WATER, ICED TEA AND COFFEE DURING DINNER

It was agreed that Iced Water, Iced Tea and American Coffee be provided in the restaurants at any time during the service. Because of space limitations, it is left to the ship to work out the logistics of balancing good service and practicality.

Iced water should be poured as guests are seated, and a carafe of iced tea would be best offered after the table is seated (not left on the table before guests arrive). American Coffee may be requested at any time during the meal. (Tea, coffee and milk)

ICED TEA AND ICED WATER AT LUNCH BUFFET

It was agreed that the above be provided. Iced water is already available 24-hours. Ice tea (sugarless) is available on a self-serve basis.

GYMNASIUM OPENING HOURS

It was agreed that the gymnasium hours be amended to the earlier time of 0600 to 1200 and from 1400 to 1800.

FILTERED DECAFFEINATED COFFEE TO REPLACE INSTANT DECAFFEINATED COFFEE

This request is approved in principal, pending the purchase of appropriate dispensing equipment, and locating an acceptable position for this equipment.

SALT & PEPPER SHAKERS FOR BUFFET TABLES

A request to provide salt and pepper shakers for the buffet tables was declined. It was decided that because of hygiene reasons, the existing single-serve salt and pepper is acceptable and more appropriate.

IMPROVE MENUS GENERALLY

It was agreed that the current menus require considerable attention and improvement in terms of presentation and accuracy with the following changes:

§ Layout to be improved and standardized

§ All dishes are to be described first in Italian, with the sub-heading in the language of the guests.

§ Accurate gastronomic translations are to be provided in all languages, including English.

§ Menus are to be considered as a 'take-home' souvenir of the cruise by guests

§ Mixed drinks and their prices are to be advertised prominently in the menus as well as daily wine suggestions.

BUTTER TO MEET SPECIFICATIONS

It was agreed that butter (unsalted, salted and margarine) are to be presented at all meals in the restaurant

FREE CAPPUCCINO & EXPRESSO IN RESTAURANT

The request to provide free cappuccino and expresso in the Restaurant was declined, on the basis that this is a bar-generated item.

REAL AMERICAN ORANGE JUICE AT BUFFETS

It was agreed that the juices offered at the buffet were to be improved.

IMPROVEMENT TO SELECTION AND VARIETY OF BREADS, SALADS & DESSERTS

It was agreed that the variety of bread should increase to display the Italian identity of the ship, requiring grissini to be presented at all dinners, white and brown rolls and bread, and rye bread to be baked at least twice per day. Salads and desserts are to be provided.

BASKET OF BREAD AT EACH DINNER TABLE

The request to provide a basket of bread at each dinner table be declined based on space.

OMELETTE STATION AT BUFFET

It was agreed that omelettes be included at the Breakfast Buffet, with preparation from an Omelette menu at the Grill.

MORE ASSISTANCE FOR OLDER GUESTS AT BUFFET

It was agreed that the MSC standard would always provide assistance for older or incapacited guests where it was obvious these persons required assistance.

MIXED DRINKS ON THE DINNER MENU

It was agreed that a selection of mixed drinks (1 non alcoholic and 2 alcoholic) be provided on every dinner menu, with prices also stated on the menu.

BROWN EGGS

It was agreed that brown eggs were unacceptable in the USA.

EGGS BENEDICT

It was agreed that Eggs Benedict would not have been offered.

MARTINI SERVICE

'jumbo martini' glasses were being embarked for use in three bars. These new martinis were to be promoted in the Daily Program.
Old February 14th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Passenger

We were on the Jan. 26/04 sailing, see the thread under "MSC" . Although we sailed with them before on the Melody and enjoyed it, this cruise was so awful I would never recommend them to anyone. Just a horrible experience, a huge waste of vacation time and dollars. This ship has the same Captain as we had on the Melody, many of the crew are the same, and the Melody previously did this itinerary, so there's really no excuse. I would highly recommend booking with another cruise line if I were you.
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Ceil

Did you make the cruise? My friend is leaving on the 20th of March. She asked me to find out what I could on the computer and relay it to her. She wanted to know what Island trips you took and which you would recommend.
Thanks for any comments.
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Ceil

I had the date wrong on previous inquiry. My friend sails on March 10th. Please E-mail me information and I will pass it along to her. Thanks.
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Ceil

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: MSC Cruise Line - MSC Lirica

I was advised that I had transposed the letters on my E-mail address. Should be ceild1@aol.com. Thanks
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:19 AM
Beverley

After so many BAD reports about the Lirica we cancelled and lost our deposit (our choice) and sailed in February on board Silverseas SILVER SHADOW. We consider ourselves very lucky in finding this website which allowed us an insight into the Lirica. The Silver Shadow was wonderful and certainly is a 6 star ship. We were pampered from going on board to leaving and had no complaints whatsoever. We shall in future only sail with Silverseas especially when they offer such last minute discounts.
Old August 30th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Passenger

After reading the comments on the Lirica, we are wondering if we should cancel our Jan cruise on the Opera. Has anyone sailed on this ship before & have any input for us?
Old November 9th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Tomahawk

My wife and I are scheduled to sail on the ship on the May 2, 2005 from Ft. Lauderdale to Genoa. I also would be interested to know if the problems have been resolved and suggestions what to do after disembarking in Genoa. We plan to take a few weeks in Europe before heading back to Newark, NJ airport. and themn to PA.
Old November 29th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Rosemary Wilkin

we are going on the opera in January. I have found very little on this ship, what can you tell me. Should I rethink our plans. We are taking two 18 year olds.