Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

All Other Cruise Lines All cruise lines not listed by name below

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2005, 03:48 PM
evw

Default MV Discovery

Has anyone taken the MV Discovery recently? We are thinking of Antartica, So Pacific and would like opinions and comments about the ship, the food, service, anything.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:54 PM
TW Scull

Default Re: MV Discovery

Take her - classic long-distance real ship cruise experience, good Ango-American crowd, good food, great service. Ship was Island Princess and very attractive within. I took her last May and would go almost anywhere in her.
Ted in NYC
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:54 PM
TW Scull

Take her - classic long-distance real ship cruise experience, good Ango-American crowd, good food, great service. Ship was Island Princess and very attractive within. I took her last May and would go almost anywhere in her.
Ted in NYC
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Paul Gladwell

Agreed; go for it. Just returned from 56 days New Zealand to Miami. A few things to be aware of are the excessively priced shore excursions and the noise from launching the lifeboats as tenders if you happen to have a cabin near promenade deck. Only other criticism is that, contrary to what the brochure said, we went through the Panama Canal at night which left a lot of unhappy passengers.
Also be aware that in late May she changed ownership to the British arm of Voyages of Discovery: we were told that nothing would change but it always does even if it is only as simple as on board currency becoming Sterling!
There are quite a few pictures of her and her cabins on this site's photo galleries - and I have a heck of a lot more now!
Regards. Paul
Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:42 AM
cheshiregirl

Paul
That sounds terrible about the Panama Canal. It is somewhere we want to go but it would certainly be the highlight of the trip. Why did you go through at night. How did the explain this to you.
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Peebeegee

If I and the majority of others understood the situation correctly it was all down to money (Discovery was not full so had fewer passengers to cover the costs) although none of the staff up to and including the Captain would confirm that! All we were told is that it is all down to the Canal authorities which ship they let through and when and we have that in writing from the MD of Discovery in the US. He must think we are all idiots to believe that load of tosh. We sat at anchor off Fuerte Amador all day waiting to go through but the Captain had already been told of a scheduled transit starting at 4.00pm which was delayed till about 5.30. Whilst we were waiting Volendam came out heading into the Pacific at about 3.00pm so had managed a daylight transit as every other cruise ship I have heard of does.Discovery knew well in advance of the schedule change but chose not to tell the passengers so the scuttlebut really got going on the subject.I confronted the Shore Excursion Manager amongst others with the simple question "are we transitting at night?" She should try going into politics to judge by her evasive answers but would probably be no good at that either! She finally admitted that the rumours were true and night it would be; for those interested I can tell you that you don't see a lot and there were very few ships going through. We finally left the Gatun locks at 1.00 am
My reason for mentioning it is that if you want to guarantee seeing the Canal in daylight choose another ship.
Paul
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:02 PM
cheshiregirl

Thanks for clearing that up. Yes I guess we will vote with our feet on this one.