CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Other Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-other-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Does anyone remember sailing on the SS Olympia (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-other-cruise-lines/323012-does-anyone-remember-sailing-ss-olympia.html)

Manuel November 4th, 2006 07:51 PM

Does anyone remember sailing on the SS Olympia
 
I guess I am dating myself, but I sailed on the SS Olympia when I was 11 years old. My parents and I sailed from Lisbon to New York......I was only a kid, but I have fond memories of my first sea voyage. My parents thought the food and service was quite good and I was wondering if anyone else has memories of this ship. Since this trip, I never lost my love of the sea.


Manny

norman warren July 7th, 2007 10:04 PM

The Olympia is still alive as the Regal Empress She makes 2 day trips from Lauderdale to Nassau. You could relive old memories and take a cruise on her but dont wait too long

Manuel July 9th, 2007 03:45 PM

Thank you for your information and I will take your suggestion as soon as I can.


Manuel

irene scott April 14th, 2013 04:07 PM

I also sailed to America on SS Olympia.January 1954
 
Hi Manuel,
My husband and I are crossing the Atlantic on the Celebrity Eclipse and going to the Carbibbean before landing at Fort Lauderdale and staying at Daytona Beach for 2 weeks.
I live in Glasgow Scotland but in January 1954 when I was 10 my Mother Father and sister and myself emigrated to Daytona Beach where we stayed for 2 years and 3 months until we returned to Scotland as my father missed the hills of Scotland.
we got the train from Glasgow to Southampton where we boarded the S.S.Olympia and sailed to New York and then got the train to Daytona Beach which took 24 hours, unfortunately we were all seasick on the crossing which took 7 days, so we are hoping for better weather this November. Hope you are enjoying your cruise. Irene Scott.

Manuel April 29th, 2013 03:25 PM

Irene, not only did I sail on the Olympia, but now I live close to Daytona Beach.

TM

Solo1959 July 20th, 2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 844119)
I guess I am dating myself, but I sailed on the SS Olympia when I was 11 years old. My parents and I sailed from Lisbon to New York......I was only a kid, but I have fond memories of my first sea voyage. My parents thought the food and service was quite good and I was wondering if anyone else has memories of this ship. Since this trip, I never lost my love of the sea.


Manny

I sailed on the TSS Olympia, Greek Line, probably 1968 out of New York when I was a kid maybe 9 years old. I remember it very well. I loved it. I have old menu's, deck plans, the daily newsletter with all the activities listed.

I bought a great book: Olympia The Life and Times of a Greek Goddess (c) 2010 by David W. Pressler, Jr. ISBN 978-0-578-01161-5, Library of Congress No. 2010920870 The book has a lot of color pictures, deck plans, etc. It was a great history of the ship.

Manuel July 20th, 2013 12:11 PM

Thank you for that info.

I am going to see if I can get that book.

TM

Solo1959 July 20th, 2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1479704)
Thank you for that info.

I am going to see if I can get that book.

TM

If you have trouble finding it, I have the author's email address, we corresponded a few years ago. I can write to him again if you need me to.

Manuel July 20th, 2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo1959 (Post 1479714)
If you have trouble finding it, I have the author's email address, we corresponded a few years ago. I can write to him again if you need me to.

Thank you, if I need to, I will take you up on your offer.

TM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1