CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Cabin cleaning once a day (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/300319-cabin-cleaning-once-day.html)

browezilla August 17th, 2005 01:54 PM

Cabin cleaning once a day

I'll probably get flamed for this one, but really, I don't need my room cleaned/straightened twice a day. I do just fine in hotels with once a day. Lighten the load on the cabin stewards and clean/service cabins once per day. We usually ask our cabin steward to skip a few evenings and we leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door.

cruisecrazy2 August 17th, 2005 02:28 PM

Re: Cabin cleaning once a day

I'd have no problem with that, but the steward would need to leave extra towels in the morning to make sure there's enough towels to get through a 24-hour period. Sometimes we come back to the cabin after dinner to change, and I find it awkward that the cabin stewards are making their way down the hall for the nightly turn-down. I feel like I'm in their way when that happens and need to rush to get out of there. While the mint on the pillow and the animal towels are very nice touches, it wouldn't lessen my cruise experience to live without them.

Donna August 17th, 2005 02:38 PM

I too like getting fresh clean towels in the evening and the bed turned down for sleeping. I also enjoy the mint on the pillow and of course the towel animal, all part of the fun in cruising.

CruisingChick August 17th, 2005 02:41 PM

I am sorry but I don't agree with you. We make a mess in the morning getting ready for excursions or whatever and then we make a mess again at night getting ready for dinner and then the evening's activities. That would mean that I would be the one left to pick up and yes we would need fresh towels.

THIS IS WHAT WE LOVE SO MUCH ABOUT CRUISING: That the room is done twice a day.

Anne Maria

Chuck Palm August 17th, 2005 02:57 PM

I feel two visits by cabin steward are a welcome luxury. Just put up that sign if you don't want the additional service.

Jim Bragg August 17th, 2005 09:04 PM

One visit a day simply is not enough and will not be done. You need then to clean your cabin, rep[lace towels, etc in the am as well as turn down your bedding and replace towels in the PM. Not only that but it is nice when they manage to do a quick check sometime during the day and refresh your ice bucket and anything else that needs doing.
Jim

daysatsea August 17th, 2005 09:51 PM

Twice a day -not nearly enough. I appreciate going back to my cabin many times during the day and finding it straightened - bed covers smoothed, fresh towels out, water carafe and ice bucket refilled. Even had have our clothes that we laid on the bed, folded on the chair or hung on a wall hook when we came back to our room. This is one of the luxuries that I appreciate when cruising and part of the reason I enjoy cruising so much.

browezilla August 17th, 2005 10:15 PM

Hmm, how do you all make do when you rent a hotel room? I kind of suspected I was in the minority on this one. I'll just have to continue "give'em the night off" and hang my do not disturb sign :-)

cheifmom1 August 17th, 2005 10:31 PM

onour first cruise my daughters shared a room together and didn't realize that they would have a room steward coming back into the room on and off all day. She left her dirty panties on the floor and was so embarrassed the the steward picked them up and folded them on her bed. I guess that taught her to clean up after herself!!

Y2C August 18th, 2005 02:08 AM

With Celebrity if the "Do not disturb" sign is out the stewards will not enter.

I for one believe that the twice a day is necessary. This is what you are paying for on a cruise, to be spoiled.
Some how they realize I like to sleep between the sheets with the turn down service .. ROFL.
http://cruise-forums.com/countdown.p...=28&hour=17:00
Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

http://cruise-forums.com/countdown.p...=26&hour=17:00
Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

http://cruise-forums.com/countdown.p...=16&hour=17:00
Vancouver Alaska Los Angeles, Sept 16, 2006 on Summit

CruisingChick August 18th, 2005 08:20 AM

Quote from browezilla: "Hmm, how do you all make do when you rent a hotel room? I kind of suspected I was in the minority on this one. I'll just have to continue "give'em the night off" and hang my do not disturb sign :-)"

We don't take land vacations anymore since cruising has spoiled us so much. What do I do when I'm in a hotel? Well, it's more like I'm home since I'm always straightening up and picking up and folding the towels to make sure we can use them more than once in the day. Really no fun for me. I can do that at home.

Droopy Sails August 18th, 2005 08:24 AM

I'd be so embarrassed to have the poor steward hanging up my clothes and picking up my dirty underwear.

But it is nice to have fresh towels and turndown (okay, I really mean I want the mint!). I enjoy the second service, but try to make the stewards' lives easier by putting away my clothes and shoes, stacking my papers and books, and keeping my toiletries to one area of the counter. Makes a much nicer room to live in all day, and they can be in and out in just a minute in the evening.

Mermaid August 18th, 2005 08:43 AM

I try to keep my room tidy on my own (easier to find things), and I often use my towels more than once (same as at home) for water and energy conservation....BUT I LOVE coming back into the cabin with the bed turned down, the lights on low, and everything looking all cozy and comfy. I'd rather give up the the morning cabin steward service! Oh, and the ice twice a day is nice too.

DENISE H August 18th, 2005 09:38 AM

i love the turn down serice and seeing what towel animal you get that day and checking out capser for the next day actives

Don Worrell August 18th, 2005 04:23 PM

Quote from original poster, "Lighten the load on the cabin stewards and clean/service cabins once per day."

My response is if you feel bad having the steward doing so much give them an extra tip.

Why do you think they leave their homes for months on end? I can tell you. They do it so they can amass enough money to give their family and children what they couldn't afford working at home. They know American's love to be spoiled and pampered. So let them!! Just make sure you reward them well for doing so.

I HOPE NO ON E SAW THIS AS FLAMING THE ORIGINAL POSTER. Because it wasn't meant to flame anyone.

Don Worrell

deppong3 August 18th, 2005 08:08 PM

we also like the pampering and the turn down service. I pick up my own things and keep my stuff organized. I think my daughter 18 at the time learned a good lesson. If she doesn't want it touched put it away! I don't think she "expected " him to clean up the clothes on the floor

themomtk August 19th, 2005 06:23 PM

I love the two or more times a day the room stewart cleans our room. She even emptys the ash tray out on the deck for me with no asking.
I like the towel animals. I just think the more they do the better the tip.
They become like family by the end ot the week.

Mike M August 19th, 2005 11:49 PM

I think most folks like the two a day service <VBG>

I know that there have been evenings that my wife and I have just asked the steward for the next days ships program, a clean towel and then put out the do not disturb sign. Overall though I find it's nice to have the twice a day cabin service. It's nice to come back from dinner and the show and have the bed turned down, the lights dimmed and a chocolate on the pillow.

Take care,
Mike

missiny August 23rd, 2005 09:09 PM

We love the twice a day service. There were 3 of us in a room. The sofa was converted and made up each evening into the third bed. My daughter accidentally left the do not disturb sign out when we went to dinner. When we came back we didn't want to bother our steward (it was late) so we converted the sofa. Not an easy job! Don't leave your sign out!

username April 11th, 2006 11:23 PM

WHAT IS UP WITH THESE PEOPLE AND THE FRESH TOWELS TWICE A DAY? WHERE I COME FROM WE WASH REAL WELL. ALL IM PUTTING ON A TOWEL IS WATER AND IM SURE IT WILL DRY WHEN HUNG UP PROPERLY. IF I NEED AN EXTRA TOWEL....I JUST ASK THE ROOM STEWARD...YOU'LL PROBABLY PASS HIM 3 OR 4 TIMES A DAY IN THE HALL WAY. HANG UP A DND SIGN AND ASK FOR A TOWEL IF YOU NEED ONE.

mehawk April 21st, 2006 08:21 AM

Sandra and I also enjoy the twice a day service. Having fresh towels is nice and having a clean cabin all the time is wonderful!! :D

luv2cruise99 April 25th, 2006 11:30 AM

I agree with "browezilla" and would really prefer that the room stewards only came in the morning. We often hang the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door in the evening, but as the evening winds down and the room steward runs out of other cabins to clean, we often find him hanging around in the hallway outside the cabin just waiting for us to leave. Boy does that make me feel guilty!

What's even worse is the times we come back to the cabin to get ready for dinner and can't go in because the room steward is already there cleaning. This happens alot because our dining times varies since we cruise with Princess and always choose Anytime Dining.

I also find that some room stewards get a little nervous if you won't let them do the nightly cleaning for too many nights in a row. Maybe it's because they think they are going to be tipped less or maybe they think that you are not pleased with their service, but it definitely makes some of them nervous if you won't let them in night after night.

On my last cruise, I tried asking the room steward on the first day to only come in the morning, but there seemed to be a communication problem and he didn't understand what I wanted.

I think the perfect solution would be to give everyone an option of if they preferred one or two cleanings a day and, if one, if they would prefer morning or evening (some late sleepers may prefer that the steward only comes in the evening). This would make everyone happy and lighten the load of the room stewards.

colorcrazie June 30th, 2006 12:01 PM

I have had to address this, since my health requires me to rest off and on during the day and retire early. We just tell the steward what I just said and reassure him that it will NOT affect his tip or what rating we give him at the end. But, I still use the Do Not Disturb sign when I need to rest quietly. Those guys are really dedicated!
Marty

CWolsten June 30th, 2006 07:22 PM

I think twice a day is not only to clean up after us but also to keep the cabins as clean and hygenic as possible. We all know at our own homes if we start to let things go things pile up so fast. The crew is on a constant schedule to keep the ship as clean as possible. They cannot afford to get backed up. We keep our cabin very tidy as I also do at hotels. That is just the way we are. I have passed some cabins and would think it would take an entire morning just to clean that one! I want to get on the ship and in my cabin as early as possible. Having the stewards round on the cabins 2 - 3 times a day makes it happen! Putting out the do not disturb sign is a great idea if your cabin needs to be passed by.

Fieldmouse July 2nd, 2006 02:24 PM

We love the twice a day service....and in fact miss it when we do the 'land hotel' thing. (How come our bed is not made??? Our bathroom towels are right were we left them??? LOL)

We are not messy cruisers...and make it a point to pick up after ourselves...but we like coming back to a freshen cabin...clean towels...and the little extra's...(snacks, fluffed pillows and of course CHOCOLATES!!!) We feel special...and we don't feel guilty because we tip very well for good service!

BTW: There is a little sign in all the bathrooms that If you do not want FRESH towels...just hang them up again and you can reuse them. IF you want fresh towels...just leave them on the floor and they will be replaced with fresh ones.

If we plan to spend most of our day in the cabin...we hang out the do not distrub sign, and get our fresh towels directly from the cabin attendent.

BUT we like the twice daily service!!!!!

san007 July 25th, 2006 10:48 PM

Browezilla, have u lost your mind? That is one of the best amenities they provide. Waking up and leaving for the day and hours later your room is spotless. And after trying 5 outfits, dinner and a show, your bed is turned down clothes picked up. Come on, u have a maid for the duration of trip. How many of us can afford a maid. I love that luxury. Cruiselines are making to many shortcuts as it is don't give them a reason to cut housekeeping. I was on vacation at a timeshare resort in Orlando and almost had a hard attack when we arrived back and the place was just as we left it; A MESS. I called down to the desk ranting and raving only to find out you can pay 30 dollars or more per cleaning. I am used to housekeeping cleaning our rooms when we visit hotels.
So if it ain't broke don't fix it. :wink:

san

browezilla August 14th, 2006 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san007
Browezilla, have u lost your mind?

Told ya I'd get flamed :-)

gambitscuba August 15th, 2006 12:22 AM

My room typically only gets cleaned once a day... because my brother sleeps till noon...

huffca August 26th, 2007 07:16 PM

I just love the service and being pampered on my cruises. When staying at a hotel vs taking a cruise my expectations are totally different. When staying at a fine hotel I do expect service 2 times a day. The initial cleaning and linen changing and the turn evening down service with the mint on the pillow. At an average priced hotel/motel all I expect is cleaning and fresh towels. On a cruise I expect what I pay for and that is to be pampered. Something that rarely happens in my life.

Carol

Joe323 August 30th, 2007 10:34 AM

Please Don't Take away the owel animals. I love them!!