CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Pool: Heat it, fresh water (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/300325-pool-heat-fresh-water.html)

browezilla August 17th, 2005 02:55 PM

Pool: Heat it, fresh water

Fresh water in the pool may be prohibitive, but I think everyone would prefer that.

The water in the pools is frigid. Warm it up a bit. The shallow wading "wings" on the pools that children play in add a lot of surface area and help warm the water.

On a positive note, I love the new water playgrounds that RCCL is adding to it ships for children. What a great idea.

grg August 17th, 2005 06:17 PM

Re: Pool: Heat it, fresh water

Princess has fresh water pools!!

Cassandra August 18th, 2005 04:48 PM

Royal has seawater, but someone said the reason for this is sea water kills just about everything for germs and its easier to fill the pools with.

Barb Nahoumi August 18th, 2005 04:51 PM

The hot sun warms the pools quickly.

Bob M August 18th, 2005 05:39 PM

I heard that Carnival does not use 100 percent salt water but a mix... There is a fresh water rinse off shower that you can use....

pink*peanut August 18th, 2005 06:49 PM

I HATE the salt water pools... but my mom LOVES them. For a kid, I love to go under the water and swim around, but when i come back up, I have all this salt water on my lips, and it burns the eyes. I agree that the water is cold. It's not freezing, but it is not warm either. I think it would be a great idea to use fresh water and heat the pools.
pink*peanut

zr2_Thunder August 18th, 2005 07:56 PM

I dont mind the salt water, like mentioned above there's a fresh water rinse on carnival ships.

Jim Bragg August 18th, 2005 08:58 PM

The salt water pools are actually cleaner as they are changed daily and even then they do put small amounts of clorine in it to help sanitize it during the day's use. They do have fresh water showers to rinse off. As for heating the pools....engineering. Hard to heat salt water without lots of maintinance etc. Heated fresh water pools are a health hazard to say the least. Look at the hot tubs and they have lots of clorine and special filtration!
Jim

td August 19th, 2005 02:08 PM

Please KEEP the salt water pools. I can get fresh water everywhere.

Chrisobrn August 27th, 2005 07:34 PM

NCL Dawn has wonderfully heated pools!!

cricket August 27th, 2005 10:20 PM

We just recently sailed on Princess for the first time. When I asked my children if there was anything about the Princess cruise that they liked better than our previous cruises (on Carnival and Holland America), their answer was immediate: "FRESHWATER POOLS!!"

Cruznut2 August 29th, 2005 06:33 AM

Fresh or salt makes no difference to me. As long as it is cool and refreshing. I can always rinse off the salt in a shower. Heat a pool on a ship in a tropical climate? I thought people wanted to cool off not take a bath.

Laura

AmazingAngel August 30th, 2005 03:47 PM

I would like to see the pools stay open later so a person can swim anytime. My husband and i found we would have like to sit in the hot tubs a few nights instead up walking around trying to burn off supper!

morticia April 24th, 2006 08:22 PM

Disney's ships have fresh water pools and the Enchantment OTS has a new fresh water pool in the new section.

Cassandra April 26th, 2006 05:30 PM

On Serenade, the pools were open until 7pm, but nearly everyone is at dinner, at a show or elsewhere, so there's no point really in keeping the pools open 24/7. Plus, too dangerous. Once false trip by a drunk who falls into the pool & dies since nobody watches the pool & then the cruise line is blamed & law suit ensues.

Not worth it.

Keep the salt water! Salt water kills bacteria (hence, anytime you get Poison Ivy, people always tell you to put it in salt water). It will make up for the disgusting people who don't wash their hands when they leave the bathroom. At least when they go in the pool, they will be sanitized.

Carol2765 April 27th, 2006 09:51 PM

Not true

Salt water does not kill bacteria. There are plenty that live salt water, they're just different than the ones that live in fresh water.

This man died as a result of a saltwater flesh eating bacteria -
vibrio vulnificus
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/arti...5/135349.shtml

kimxotennis May 28th, 2006 09:31 AM

i like these pools! i have a normal pool in my backyard, and you can't really tell anyway!! This takes care of A LOT of the germs that can be spread in a pool, I'm surprised even some land resorts dont use the salt water for that reason

=]

Bunch June 7th, 2006 06:10 PM

I must humbly disagree. We have a "freshwater" pool in our backyard. When I'm on a cruise, I am so happy to NOT clean the pool that I don't care if it is freshwater or saltwater.

I cannot imagine the resources that ships would need to use to cleanse the water in a pool. My home pool is about 14,000 gallons. How much time and energy would it take to filter all of that water? Especially since most people just dip in the pool - you don't see a lot of lap swimmers. I'd rather see the cruise lines use that expense to improve the food!

criscomia July 7th, 2006 02:37 PM

HAL has freshwater pools...........It's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

amaretto October 2nd, 2006 04:19 PM

Yeah...I don't really like the saltwater pools. It really stings you skin and your eyes. I understand that they have freshwater rinsing showers, but please, Carnival, change to freshwater pools. Seawater is sort of gross, anyway. :-?

momofmeg October 31st, 2006 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grg
Princess has fresh water pools!!

which are great!!!!!!!!!!! Princess is my favorite line!!!!!!!!