Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Captain

Default Carnival dining room entertainment

I really find the nightly entertainment by the wait staff in the dining room tedious.
Once would be fine but every night just about the time I'm ready for my coffee and chocolate goody, here come the dancing waiters. I've never spoken to people who thought that doing this every night was necessary.

Carnival, give your poor waiters a break.
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival dining room entertainment

agree, every night is overkill- once or twice is fine.
Old August 18th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Necessary no, but many people do like it as reflected in the comment cards. It does not bother me one way or the other but I do like to see folks having fun with the servers during those times.
Jim

Old August 18th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

I thouroughly enjoy seeing the waiters perfom. I would love to jump up and join in the conga line.

An overkill? I don't think so. Over worked and under paid? Absolutely!
Old August 18th, 2005, 05:03 PM
TDCRose

Default Re: Re: Carnival dining room entertainment

I agree, I do not like having to wait on my dessert and coffee because of a dancing waiter! We have never had great dinning staff service on Carnival to begin with, so the nightly entertainment could be ditched IMHO.
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Admiral

So glad I'm not the only one with this thought. My DH likes it but not me. I don't want to get up and dance or sing at dinner either. I want my second cup of coffee and dessert! I also don't like it because everyone starts swirling their DIRTY napkins in the air!!! I don't think the wait staff likes doing it every night either.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:47 PM
browezilla

I don't like it every night either. Once is more than enough. But what I dislike even more is the childish red, white, and blue team competition. I loathe it.
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to zr2_Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to zr2_Thunder

The Waitstaff entertainment is great, i love every bit of it. its a great memory of vacation especially if you become close with your wait staff.

The red white and blue competition is clearly to get more carnival cruiser's involved in events and so you can meet more people. i think its a great idea i met a whole buncha people that i dont think i would have met if it wasent for the team color competition. i think they have a good thing going for the cruiser's hence they call it the fun ships.

Next Cruise:
Carnival Destiny: June, 2006
Old August 19th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Admiral

My son and I loved the red,white and blue competition, but like you browezilla, my dh thought it was the stupidest thing he'd ever seen! Guess I'm still a child at heart!

Where else can you see a grown man wearing a toga (his stateroom sheet) and a toilet seat (let's hope it was a clean one) around his neck dancing in the conga line at the deck party???

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:44 AM
First Mate

I love the entertainment every night. It's good to see some good old-fashioned fun!

Imagination 7-15-95
Sensation 3-3-96
Ecstasy 8-26-96
Destiny 3-9-97
Sensation 3-14-98
Imagination 3-13-99
Spirit 3-8-03
Valor 3-20-05

Fantasy

Liberty

Post Edited (08-19-05 11:47)
Carnival Destiny 3-9-97
Carnival Sensation 3-14-98
Carnival Imagination 3-13-99
Carnival Spirit 3-8-03
Carnival Valor 3-20-05
Carnival Fantasy 9-1-05
Carnival Liberty 1-7-06
Carnival Legend 8-16-06
Carnival Miracle 5-16-09
Carnival Splendor 5-17-13

Carnival Sunshine
Old August 19th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Captain

I'd forgotten about the red, white and blue competition. I really hated that. Not the whole concept - just having the roars and clapping at dinner every night when I just wanted my chocolate fix and coffee! Folks who participate in this could enjoy the announcements being made poolside or before the shows each evening. But please MORE disruption at dinner was not appreciated by anyone at our table on our last Carnival cruise. Even the younger, newbie cruisers in our bunch got tired of it.
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:13 PM
browezilla

I'm not against the concept of the blue, red, white teams for those that want to participate in it, just like the hairy chest, belly flop, etc. What I object is subjecting everyone eating dinner to "having to participate" via the announcement of the score, etc. Too many disruptions during dinner. I also don't need the Maitre'd making a 5-10 minute announcement every night. I get a daily planner/compass, just put it in there. This type of activity would not occur in an upscale restaurant, TGI Fridays, Bennigans, etc. that's where I would expect it.
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I personally don't care for this but it is something that sets some lines, like Carnival, apart and I like that. It gives cruisers a choice and many people do enjoy it.

If they began doing it on a regular basis on Celebrity or Princess I would have a complaint.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:56 PM
DENISE H

i love the entterainment and dancing in the dining room your there to have fun
Old August 21st, 2005, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

One night, maybe two, ok. But not almost every night! I really hate it when my wait service is interrupted in the middle of clearing our table and taking dessert orders.....all of a sudden the wait staff disappears and you don't see them again for 10-15 minutes. Can't tell you how many times I missed the start of the after dinner show because of the dining room show.

Old August 21st, 2005, 05:04 AM
Coach

I loved it eveynight and got up myself and had a great time. The red white and blue was fun but I never knew who won and who cares anyway. I met so many new people who I will keep in contact for years to come.

Steven
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

Kill it, it deserves to die.

I always like the people complaining about jeans and people not dressing formally to eat in the formal dining room. Then midway through the meal the waiters don wigs and costumes and jump up on the wait stations and dance.

Ah yes, very formal indeed.

Cheers,
Peter

Old August 24th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Captain

I also don't like the nightly entertainment. The dining room meals are already long enough without dragging them out further with the cheesy singing and dance routines. We usually make a point of leaving before the show starts, but that means we miss out on the dessert and coffee that we otherwise would have enjoyed having. The only good thing about the nightly entertainment is that it allows us to get good seats in the showroom since we leave the dining room while others are still being "entertained" by the dining room staff.

When I want to be entertained I will go to the showroom or lounges. In the dining room, I just want to be fed.
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Passenger

Default That's Entertainment!

I think the nightly escapades of the waitstaff is hysterical. I sometimes cannot decide who is having more fun, the staff or guests. I have seen grumpy old folks get up and dance around the room and young people who wouldn't be caught dead doing something like that actually enjoying themselves. When I hear the staff singing "Happy Birdsday Two Shoe" I almost wet myself. To me, this is all part of the cruising experience on Carnival. I can wait for dessert or coffee or leave if I have had enough of it. We are away to have fun and whatever floats your boat!
Lynne
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Admiral

seems like we have a pretty even split here. I think that dining room entertainment is fine, just not every night, once or twice would be just fine. and i think that it should not be on formal night.
Old September 29th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Maybe I'm just a fuddy-duddy, but I go to the dining room (nicely dressed as suggested) to enjoy a nice dinner and dinner conversation with my family and/or other guests. I do not cruise to establish a lasting friendship with the waitstaff. When and if I want to be entertained, I will visit the theater or pool area - there's a time and a place for everything. Guess that's why one cruise on Carnival was more than enough for me!
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Couple thought here. One is that you do not have to participate with the wait staff or in the red, white, blue competition, or you can join in one or both. You also have the option of cruising with another line. The wait staff enjoys doing this for the most part as they get to enteract with the passengers on a more personal level. To me this is a good thing but not everyone thinks that way. As for the red, white, blue thing on CCL, it is a huge success! I know who introduced it and why and how he came up with the idea. He tried it on his ship and it was such a huge success that it is done fleetwide now I believe. It does get the passengers to interact with each other better and participate in more activities and creates a fun atmosphere which is CCL's goal. I personally observed this a couple weeks ago on the Glory and it was amazing to see how the passengers re-acted in a good natured way during the deck party! I have no doubt that it is going to be something that will last a long time and other lines like RCI may pick it up as well. The great thing about cruiselines is that if a ships food, entertainment, activities or even decor does not suit you then you can find one that does.
Jim
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bragg
One is that you do not have to participate with the wait staff or in the red, white, blue competition
That's not quite true. When the maitre'd stops dinner for 10 minutes to make announcements and give results of the red/white/blue, it disrupts the flow of dinner and makes it tough to continue talking while he is talking.

If more dining rooms go this route, then they should not consider it a formal dining room but more like TGI Fridays, Bennigans, Chilis, etc.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:19 AM
Beginner

I enjoy it. After a pleasant time dining there's a change in energy. I started cruising in '97, been on 11 so far, 9 were with Carnival. It's the friendly, fun spirit of the cruise line. Sometimes I join in the dance, some times I don't and just watch others.

Personally, if Carnival were to eliminate this feature of the cruise would be a bummer. I "love" (tongue in cheek) the new open dining approach many cruise lines are going to, to compete with resorts. Their spin on "eat when you want" makes me laugh. I'm more the spontaneous, do what I want, when I want type. But, the "family dinner time" event provides a comfortable time to anchor myself ... before the evening fun begins! I guess the staff entertainment kicks off the evening.

Part of the cruise experience, for me, is meeting people from all over the world. I enjoy chatting with staff and learning about where they are from, their family. I've come up with a pleasant approach. I will ask them to describe their home town in their native language. Don't understand a word they are saying, BUT, I hear and see how they feel. (I then ask them to repeat what they said in English). Have enjoyed many beautiful descriptions of small towns tucked in the hills.

Haven't seen the Red, White and Blue Competition. It's been 2 years since my last cruise. Well, I'll find out come Oct 31st - Carnival Spirit.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:34 AM
Yeoman

so...

I am reading the Red White and blue thing, and am lost. Since I will be cruising soon, I guess I will find out. Here in the "BIG D" (Texas) our Fridays, Chilies, Red Robins, etc, that used to do the entertaining pretty much doesn't anymore. I found out why. The people here just have a problem with "entertaining" loudly while the eat. My son is pretty much disappointed because we have no where to go to have a huge "to-do" for birthdays.

But then, I could always go to Chucky-Cheese and deal with that.

I guess this is one of those topics that everyone has their own thoughts, and not everyone will agree,

I told my son, who is 10, abnout this and he is more excited about that then Camp Carnival.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 05:11 PM
Beginner

"everyone has their own thoughts, and not everyone will agree"
Oh, yeah. Absolutely.
No problem at all: Those who enjoy it will continue with Carnival. Those who don't can go to another cruise line.
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Admiral

I like it too - it's all in good fun. On our first cruise our assistant waiter got on his knees in front of me and implored "Won't You Be My Girl!" - then dragged me around the dining room. I was laughing so hard I was wishing I had remember my "Depends!"

Too each his own - the fuddy-duddies don't need to hang around for it - the ones that do stay really do have a great time.

ttfn Jennifer
Old October 29th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Familiar Face

I had a great time on the Carnival Legend. We loved all the activity and getting up and dancing helped work off some of the dinner calories. Loved it. Dee
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:55 PM
Passenger

When I go to Bennigans, TGI Fridays, Applebees, etc., I think this is acceptable. However, when I go into a very nice restaurant (which the dining room is supposed to be), then I don't want that type of entertainment. Carnival seems to be straddling the fence here.

Also, you can't "just leave" if you don't like the entertainment because it occurs before the meal is complete. I would be perfectly fine if they provided the entertainment after the meal.
Old November 1st, 2005, 07:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Remember me? The guy who hates saying "hello" to all the staff as I walk down the hallway? You can guess which way I lean in this debate. I love quiet, attentive service, and I do not like a waiter who gets friendly with me, or even worse, my wife or other females at the table.

BUT...... of course my wife loves it, and eats up the attention like this was the first night the staff ever thought of doing anything like an Elvis imitation. She and her friends couldn't get enough of the waiters and all their antics. I sat there trying not to roll my eyes.

I guess its my show-biz background that I know how much everything is scripted and mandatory - kind of takes the fun out of it for the staff. But some people just think its the bees knees, so who I am to say who is right? Some waiters probably really love it - and some I am sure hate it. They are all so well trained, though, that every one of them will swear they love it.

Truly a personal taste issue. And if you like it Carnival does it better than any other line. For me, I LOVE a lot of what Carnival does. I can deal with the hairy chest, the horse race, the poolside music and ALL that, and they have the best shows and cruise directors anywhere. But give me a quiet dinner please.

As someone famous once said, "music at dinner is an insult to the composer and the chef." That says it all. I don't even like loud music at dinner. Quiet conversation, good food & service is for me.