Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2005, 10:41 PM
browezilla

Default On board theaters

I've seen this on some ships, and sometimes they use one of the lounges. I really enjoy going to the theater on board to see movies, especially on rainy sea days or later on in the cruise after I've had enough sun :-)
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:40 AM
evie

Default Re: On board theaters

I agree with you. Princess has good movies on both the cabin tv and in a theater. Carnival is pitiful at having movies. When we were on the Triumph when asked at the purser desk about movies they looked at us like we were some weirdo. They finally did have a movie but it was in the afternoon when we were docked at a port. Needless to say there was only 8 of us watching the movie while everyone was in port. My dh and I do not usually go to the bars. We don't drink and would like to attend a movie one evening or like you said if the weather is bad it gives you something to do.
Old August 19th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Droopy Sails

NCL is pretty pitiful at this also--I think I've only seen a few movies shown, and only in the afternoons on port days. But most of their ships just don't have a good separate venue for movies, and the show lounge is occupied at night.

Cruise ships in general don't provide many evening options for non-drinkers or even drinkers who are tired of sitting in bars. But I suppose that's a small minority of us, and they do have to focus on the majority of passengers.
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:21 AM
browezilla

Some nights I would just as soon watch a good movie as see the entertainment in the main theater.
Old August 20th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Bmaintz

How about a large roll-up & roll-down screen on the Lido deck..?? (like the old fashion drive-in movies)... You could even have wireless earphones if you want to watch the movie...
Old August 20th, 2005, 05:59 PM
First Mate

Same here------My husband would prefer a good movie, instead of some song & dance show.

Give us a choice.
Old August 20th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Admiral

They are now building the large movie screens on the new ships and showing movies on the Lido deck at night on some of the lines.
Jim

Old August 21st, 2005, 07:12 PM
Male

I saw runaway bride on the Carnival Destiny theater in the afternoon at sea it was me and 1 olds couple. IT WAS AWESOME! I rather do this than sleep or just sit in the sun for 2 hours waiting to get ready for dinner. I also am a moive BUFF. - K
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:18 PM
browezilla

I also like the theaters on Carnival's ships. Some of Celebrity's ships also have theaters. I wish they were commonplace on all the lines. In a pinch, all you need is a project and a roll down screen.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:21 AM
Admiral

Last time I was on RCCL (about 3 years ago) I peeked into the theatres (there were 2 of them) several times and never saw a single person in there. I guess they just aren't that popular for the whole cruising population.

For me I'd rather be doing something else than sitting in a movie theatre.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
Admiral

this is most likely the reason that Princess started its Movies Under the Stars. Its like going to the drive-in. You get a lounge chair, blanket & popcorn (all at no additional cost) you will be charged for drinks or sodas
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Captain

Sounds like a fun evening on the Lido deck......hope they all do this one night at least.
Old August 25th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

On RCCL Jewel of the Sea last October on a repo cruise to the Caribbean out of Boston, we had a totally different impression of the popularity of movies on cruise ships. This theatre has stadium seating for about 50 people, and every time we went there to check out a movie, it was packed! They even had people sitting on the stairs. We soon learned that if you wanted a seat you had to get there at least 45 minutes early. Every day they had a different movie with two showings, one in the afternoon and one around 8:00PM. We enjoyed the movies we were able to get a seat for.
Old August 25th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Captain

I was really looking forward to enjoying the theater on my last cruise. It was the first ship I had ever been on that had one. I was disappointed when I got onboard to see that they showed the same movie all week long and it was an older movie that I never had an interest in seeing. Apparently, nobody else did either because the theater was always empty. I think it would be great if they showed more current up-to-date movies and had a rotating schedule of several different ones throughout the cruise.

I know Princess does Movies Under the Stars with giant movie screens on Lido Deck on some of their ships, but I have never been on a ship that did this. I think that sounds really cool!