Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Round Trip Trans Atlantic Cruises

Post 9/11 and with all the hastles and delays at airports these days, some people really hate to fly. It used to be a pleasure to fly, but nowadays, it's just plain stressful, and many avoid flying for that reason. Besides the stress, DH and I have medical issues that make a trans Atlantic flight to Europe impossible for us, but we'd sure love to go! However, the only conceivable way we could do it would be a round-trip trans Atlantic cruise. Maasdam did one this year, but it was 35 days long with a massive itinerary. Very few people have the time or money to do that. But a 14-15 day cruise? Sure, when do we sail? I'd like to see more cruise ships offer at least one such cruise in the summer. I think it would work well with limited but varied itineraries from year to year. For example, one year XYX cruise line would do a Scandinavian/Ireland itinerary, following year they'd do England, UK, and the year after that maybe Italy/Mediterranean--then repeat. I've always wondered how many others there may be out there who would be as interested as we are in such a cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Gertrude

Default Re: Round Trip Trans Atlantic Cruises

The QE2 has a transatlantic cruise which goes from east coast USA to England.It takes about a week.
Old August 19th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

What's the itinerary? I know there are several cruise ships that do trans Atlantics, but they're only one way and that's about all they do. You have to combine a trans Atlantic with a land vacation in order to see anything at all, and then you have to fly back to the states, which we can't do.
Old August 19th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Admiral

I think this is a wonderful idea!

I'd love to go on a round trip cruise with two days in just a few European ports instead of one day each in a lot of ports. I think it would be much more interesting and relaxing.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Let me see, six days over, six days back. Then, lets say two days in six ports. Wow, we now have a 24 day cruise. A two week over and back is not feasible.

Or, take QMII over, spend two weeks on a land trip, and take QMII back. That works.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

For some reason, I was under the impression that a crossing took 4 days, not six. OK then, let it be a round trip 18 day cruise, with 6 days at 3 ports. Not everyone can afford or has the time for the GMII and a 2 week land vacation to boot. I'm talking about something that would be doable for middle class working people, not retired millionares.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Excuse the typo. I meant QMII.
Old August 26th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Would love to do a round trip transatlantic. No jet lag, spending 10 plus hours on a plane .. yuck. Days at sea are so relaxing.
Takes the stress out of every day life.

Cruise lines are you listening?? Don't reposisition, offer a round trip.

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Vancouver Alaska Los Angeles, Sept 16, 2006 on Summit

Old September 6th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Rachel White

I am with you, I would love to cruise over and back. We have cruised over once and back once different trips, absolutely hated the flying time!!!! Would spend more to cruise both ways!!! Cruise lines consider this..............we are going on a cruise to Hawaii for 16 days, from Vancouver to Hawaii and back to San Diego, so why can't you have a cruise over to the Mediterranean, make 5 stops and then cruise back to the US????
Rachel
Old September 7th, 2005, 04:40 PM
sls

If it's a true transatlantic how do you have six port days? Not many places to stop in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

sls
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

the record is just about 4 1/2 days, isn't it? Didn't the blue riband go to the USS United States? (before she became the Philadelphian rust bucket now owned by NCL?)
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Admiral

okay the cruise fairy has granted your wish, now its up to you to plan your itineary. Where would you sail from, and what would be your ports of call?
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It really is a fascinating thing to look into historically, and there are even many great books about it. John Maxtone-Graham used to give lectures about it on cruise ships.

In the days before airlines most of the European coastal nations had their own national ocean liner companies: This is where companies like Cunard and Holland America were born. Holland America is actually over 150 years old and is called that because that is where they traveled, between Holland and America.

The USS United States was (I believe) the only liner the US Government ever built and she was the last ocean liner built. Of course they had to make her the fastest in the world, this was in the late 40s and we were "the King of the World!" - and it was only about 5 years later that commercial transatlantic flights became common effectively ending the liner business forever.

The NCL Norway was formally the SS France, built by the French Government as an Ocean Liner. That was why you could sail on her and see that it was converted from a true two-class vessel (like the Titanic) into a modern cruise ship.

Most countries sailed between their own port cities and New York. Holland America went from Rotterdam or Amsterdam, France went from Le Havre, Britain from SouthHampton. The Swedes, Norwegians, Germans... they all had their own lines.

And they were fast, too. Generally about 25% faster than today's modern cruise ship. Time was everything, and the average crossing from England or France to NY was five days.
Old September 13th, 2005, 06:30 PM
First Mate

Ok, Cruise Fairy, grant our wishes.

Here is an itinerary for a round trip transatlantic.

Boston

UK

Lisbon Portugal

Sao Miguel, Azores

Boston

Cruise lines, You provide the ships & crew---------we'll sail.
Old September 13th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Admiral

First a disclaimer: I am geographically challenged

Ideal cruise:

New Orleans (by the time this happens, N.O. will be ready for us!)

UK-2 days

Spain-2 days

Italy-2 days

New Orleans

Come on, Cruise Fairy!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 21st, 2005, 06:09 PM
First Mate

Before September 11, 01. Flying was the most convenient way to go to Europe. It still is, but quite stressful. DH & I go to Portugal frequently.

I would happily trade 3 hours of airport scrutiny, and a 6hr flight; for 4 leisurely days at sea, a few days in Portugal, and a return cruise home.

Right now I'm only dreaming, but I would love to see more trans-atlantic round trips, become available. NCL, Restore the Big U, NOW.
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Admiral

We love long cruises, hate the hastle of flying these days and would love to book such a round trip trans-Atlantic cruise!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old December 10th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertrude
The QE2 has a transatlantic cruise which goes from east coast USA to England.It takes about a week.
That is true but there are no ports. It goes to England takes 6 days. the next cruise is back to new York and then it repeats.

I guess you could go to England-take a 12 day land tour or just do 12 days on your own and then go back to New York. That would still take 24 days.
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Passenger

Consider this.

We leave Baltimore 5:00 p.m.
1 sea day
1 day stop in Kings Wharft, Bermuda
4 sea days
1 day in Azores Islands, Portugal
2 sea days
1 day in Southampton England
1 sea day
1 day in Waterford (Dunmore East), Ireland
1 day in Glasgow (Greenock), Scotland
1 sea day
1 day in Reykjavik, Iceland
1 sea day
1 day in Qaqortoq, Greenland
1 sea day
1 day in St. John's, NF, Canada
3 days at sea
Return to Balitmore at 8:00 a.m.

This would be a 23 night cruise. I found a Princess ship which is doing a 25 day cruise from Denmark to NYC and found the discounted rates below. These fare include port charges but not government taxes.

An inside cabin would be $125.00 per day
An Ocean Vie would be $160.00 per day
A Balcony would be $190.00 per day.

So for $5750.00 plus government tax you could do an inside for this cruise. We could drop any port day we wish. This would probably reduce the cruise rate by the day rate you chose.

I would believe if we could fill up a ship one of the lines, like Princess, Royal Caribbean, Holland America or another like ship would do this trip. I might be off on the fares but these arethe fares I found for a Princess ship coming from Denmark to NYC in late September 2006.

Do you want to get a ship full and charter the ship?

Don
Old December 16th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawcruiser
Consider this.

We leave Baltimore 5:00 p.m.
1 sea day
1 day stop in Kings Wharft, Bermuda
4 sea days
1 day in Azores Islands, Portugal
2 sea days
1 day in Southampton England
1 sea day
1 day in Waterford (Dunmore East), Ireland
1 day in Glasgow (Greenock), Scotland
1 sea day
1 day in Reykjavik, Iceland
1 sea day
1 day in Qaqortoq, Greenland
1 sea day
1 day in St. John's, NF, Canada
3 days at sea
Return to Balitmore at 8:00 a.m.

This would be a 23 night cruise. I found a Princess ship which is doing a 25 day cruise from Denmark to NYC and found the discounted rates below. These fare include port charges but not government taxes.

An inside cabin would be $125.00 per day
An Ocean Vie would be $160.00 per day
A Balcony would be $190.00 per day.

So for $5750.00 plus government tax you could do an inside for this cruise. We could drop any port day we wish. This would probably reduce the cruise rate by the day rate you chose.

I would believe if we could fill up a ship one of the lines, like Princess, Royal Caribbean, Holland America or another like ship would do this trip. I might be off on the fares but these arethe fares I found for a Princess ship coming from Denmark to NYC in late September 2006.

Do you want to get a ship full and charter the ship?

Don
Sounds good to me Don but I would rather have the stop in France then Portugal.
I did read a post from someone that a HAL ship does a roundtrip-but it was 32 days and I don't believe it had all the stops you mentioned. But you could check out HAL.

The best deal I found one way was Jewel of the Seas spring reposioning-in April-I found a discount site that had balcony cabins for around $2000 a person-it was a 14 day cruise that leaves from Ft. Lauderdale and ends up in South Hampton, England I think.

It had a lot of nice stops but none of the northen ones past England you mentioned. It went to King's Warf, several stops in Spain, Portugal, France, Belguim and then ends up in south Hampton.

What I thought would be cool would be to do that-then do a land tour in Ireland, Scotland and England and then fly back- ofcourse you are still flying and it would still take a lot of days and then ofcourse I imagine after all that you would still be spending $5000 a person or more.

Maybe I just look into that HAL one.
Old January 11th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to donahc Send a message via MSN to donahc

[quote="Paul Motter"]It really is a fascinating thing to look into historically, and there are even many great books about it. John Maxtone-Graham used to give lectures about it on cruise ships.

The USS United States was (I believe) the only liner the US Government ever built and she was the last ocean liner built. Of course they had to make her the fastest in the world, this was in the late 40s and we were "the King of the World!" - and it was only about 5 years later that commercial transatlantic flights became common effectively ending the liner business forever.

She was build at Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. in the 1950s. My dad worked on her. There's a "Friends of the SS United States" group out there trying to have her made into a maritime museum. She was a gorgeous ship in her time. Steuben glass everywhere, magnificently appointed, and very fast.

Donna

Alaska, Sea Princess 2002
Honolulu-Tahiti-Honolulu, Dawn Princess 2003
Panama Canal, Coral Princess 2004
East and West Caribbean, Star Princess 2004
Grand Mediterranean, Grand Princess 2005
British Isles, Golden Princess 2005
Islands of the Pacific Theater, Pacific Princess 2006
Baltic & Transatlantic, Star Princess 2006
Old January 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Admiral

HAL is featuring a 56 day "Odyssey of North Africa and the Mediterranean" in the new Mariner society Mag that I got in the mail yesterday. It starts and ends in Ft. Lauderdale, and has two Atlantic crossings. It includes Casablanca, Tripoli, Rome, Monte Carlo, a couple of Greek Iles, and the Eastern Caribbean. Price: $9249, double occ for an inside. So it would probably be at least $25K/ for two for a verandah. Guess I'll pass. There are 28 day segments with one crossing for about half that much. The ship is the Prinsendam

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 11th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL America) purchased the SS United States in 2003 but it is still unclear what the long term plans are for her future. Hopefully United States (Hawaii) and transatlantic cruises are in her future.

I have my fingers crossed but as of now she still sits in Philadelphia and I believe, if NCL America does restore her depends on the success of their Hawaiian cruises and the demand of another vessel of this nature.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Passenger

I have gone by Canadian Navy ships from Halifax to Europe several time and most cruise people I know would not be happy in the North Atlantic. The cruise lines wouldn't have to carry much food with them thats for sure. Fifty and Sixty foot seas are not uncommon in the North Atlantic