CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   alcohol card (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/300348-alcohol-card.html)

Jocko the Cruiser August 19th, 2005 11:26 AM

alcohol card

Why not offer some sort of alcohol card, like the soda card. They would still make good money off of liquor. They could limit it to inexpensive mixed drinks or domestic beers or something along those lines. Kinda of like when a place has an open bar and they give you the cheapy drinks.

Imagination 7-15-95
Sensation 3-3-96
Ecstasy 8-26-96
Destiny 3-9-97
Sensation 3-14-98
Imagination 3-13-99
Spirit 3-8-03
Valor 3-20-05

http://cruise-forums.com/countdown.p...y=1&hour=16:00 Fantasy

http://cruise-forums.com/countdown.p...=07&hour=16:00 Liberty

Jim Bragg August 19th, 2005 03:22 PM

Re: alcohol card

They do. It's called a Sail & sign on CCL and other names on other lines. <VBG> There is no way they are going to sell you a card that entitles you to unlimited drinks.
Jim

Trip August 19th, 2005 03:32 PM

When I was in Florida once, they were advertising a cruise, I think it was a Labor day cruise, on the Majesty of the Seas, for 3/4 days, that was all inclusive...That ship must have had more drunks per capita than anyplace in the world..Be afraid, be very afraid.

Mike M August 19th, 2005 04:11 PM

Jocko,

It may be something that could work if they could handle the enforcement and have the ability to cut someone off when they have hit their limit. They do this at all inclusive resorts. The one difference is that a ship is a bit more of a contained environment.

A soda card is usually calculated on five sodas a day. (At least on RCI) so I think a liquor card would be pretty expensive if they implemented.

Take care,
Mike

Magnolia Blossom August 19th, 2005 05:35 PM

A friend told me that she booked a large group for a reunion and they offered them an option for drinks included. For the life of me, I can't remember which line it was but I know it wasn't Carnival. I'm thinkin' it was RCCL - anyway - the per person, per day cost was $68!!!! Even us cajuns can't drink $68 a day. - well, okay, that's a lie, we can but we won't admit to it!

Midazolam August 19th, 2005 09:53 PM

For $37 Thousand dollars, Raddison Seven Seas offers a 2 month cruise around South America. It includes wine with dinner and unlimited alcohol. As well as many other extras such as no tipping.

Does anyone here have an extra $37 thousand dollars?

Larry

showcat August 20th, 2005 02:32 AM

I love your bird Larry, how cute! I think they should have happy hour with drink specials at times of the day when the bars are slow. Carnival does have a drink of the day on deck and it's pretty good. Id like to see non alcoholic drink specials cause why should I pay the same for a virgin pina colada?

Darcy August 20th, 2005 06:35 AM

RLC used to offer a drink card. It was about $38 for 10 drinks. I would like to see that come back again.

Jim Bragg August 21st, 2005 12:45 PM

I can see that offered Darcy and maybe that can make a comeback as that is for a limited # of drinks at a savings. In addition it would be nice if the bartenders were allowed to say 'no, this is enough for right now' to those that ask for drinks.
Jim

LisaK August 22nd, 2005 10:35 AM

i think that a limited card could work. Your card would be punched everytime you ordered a drink and when it was filled-up you would have to buy another one.

Eddie97128 August 26th, 2005 12:58 AM

Lets see, all inclusive booze cruise .... five drink limit per day ...... It's a sunny day at sea around the pool, attractive surroundings, time for a "bucket of Bud" of which I may drink one or two. I think I'll stick with my sail and sign card thank you.

Thomas August 26th, 2005 04:31 AM

"There is no way they are going to sell you a card that entitles you to unlimited drinks.
..............Jim Bragg

This is an incorrect statement Jim, they do in fact sell an alcohol card, at least for large groups anyway. I know of a group of about 140 who have 70 cabins booked on the Navigator of the Seas in November who are being given the option of buying an alcohol card for $400 for the week.

Regards,
Thomas

DPMinc August 26th, 2005 11:34 AM

Yes Thomas-But that option goes 2 ways, either EVERYONE in the group buys the all-inculsive drinks, or they dont get it. We found out some of those details at the CCL excutive Fam in Miami last month. When you do figure it out, I really think the S&S card is the better way.

Paul

Jim Bragg August 26th, 2005 06:54 PM

Okay Thomas, I stand corrected! <G> That is still a pretty hefty price tag and if someone managed to drink up that much booze then I personally feel they need help but that is just me. <VBG> I am not sure I am in favor of this type of option unless they had some pretty strict limits. Reason beng is that there will always be those that figure they paid for it so they have to drink at least their share and more. Not something that I would look forward too with that many folks three sheets to the wind. Maybe the CL can figure out some sort of compromise.
Jim

Thomas August 27th, 2005 10:13 PM

Again, not correct DPMinc, some are taking advantage of the alcohol card and others are not. Not everyone is obligated to buy the card.

My restaurant manager is going on this cruise and he originally thought this would be a good deal for him since he drinks A LOT!!! But when we broke it down into individual drinks it didn't seem all that attractive................i.e. at $6.50 per drink that would be over 8 drinks per day, every day, counting the last day too. Even a heavy drinker would get tired of drinking this much per day, everyday.

Regards,
Thomas

username April 11th, 2006 11:00 PM

BE CAREFUL WHEN ORDERING A DRINK DURING A DECK PARTY ON RC. THEY PUT IT IA CUTE PLASTIC GLASS THAT BLINKS AND LIGHTS UP EVEN IF YOU DONT ASK AND CHARGE YOU ABOUT FIVE BUCKS EXTRA FOR THE PLASTIC GLASS. THEN THEY LOOK AT YOU LIKE YOUR CRAZY WHEN YOU CATCH IT ON YOUR BILL. OH YEA A GRATUITY IS ALREADY INCLUDED PER DRINK BUT THEY HAVE A PLACE FOR A TIP AS WELL...WATCH IT!!!

mommy of 3 April 20th, 2006 11:06 PM

wish they had a card like this...we cruise carnival and the hubby is a drinker...me too if 2 or 3 a day count (and not everyday)..anyway, we found if you buy yourself the drink coupons before you board it will end up being a little cheaper-but not much. Good thing is that you can look at your sign and sail all the time and kind of monitor the spending! I did feel like I was a lush when I got our bill...celebrated 10yr anniv. plus a 40th b-day and the lil bro's engagement all in one cruise...we had a celebration everynight of our cruise!! Woohoo!!

DBXX May 16th, 2007 10:07 PM

I am working with Carnival right now and they told me if we book 30 people we would qualify for the liquor card, it is $200.00 per person. The key is we ALL have to get it, if one says no then none of us get it. It is all or none.

Danielle

nvabill May 16th, 2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bragg
They do. It's called a Sail & sign on CCL and other names on other lines. <VBG> There is no way they are going to sell you a card that entitles you to unlimited drinks.
Jim

Jim,

Maybe you need to go to-

http://www.mygetawayguru.com/singles/20071124.html

If Paul pulls this one off you've got some crow to eat! :twisted:

Bill

BigE11378 May 24th, 2007 10:14 AM

that sounds like fun ....if they offered booze cards I wonder how many MORE pax would end up going overboard?

Meme1969 July 12th, 2011 07:30 PM

Open bar cruise

There is such a thing and we are currently booking one now for next summer, Carnival Dream, all you can drink for the entire cruise.