Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:09 PM
browezilla

Default Don't charge for a slice of cake

I've noticed on Carnival and RCCL that they don't (or it is rare) serve cake slices for dessert, e.g. like a birthday cake slice. They now have pastry shops where you can buy a slice of cake for $3-5. They used to give you a small cake on your birthday or anniversary, now this is $7-9. Gee whiz guys, I can get a slice of cake at any buffet-stle family restaurant without paying extra. On Carnival, the Maitre'd came by and said several times anything we want, just let her know, nothing was off limits. I asked for a slice of any of the cakes I saw out in the pastry shops. Well, that was off limits, unless I wanted to pay extra for it. This was just a standard cake, e.g. carrot cake, chocolate cake, red forest cake, etc. This just seemed stretching it to me to charge for these cakes by the slice.
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:27 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Don't charge for a slice of cake

I totally agree-- They took all the fun out of celebrating a special occasion--who wants to buy their own cake?

I'd guess for the amount of dinners they serve, cakes must come in sheets and "pretty ones" limited for paying for.
How about fudgy brownies then? Or the cookies too? Sometimes that is just what you want. Just like the standard ice cream/sherbert - add those items as nightly offerings.

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old August 21st, 2005, 11:02 AM
cruisingrandma

We tend to cruise the same time each cruise. It falls on my DH birthday always. So I go to the head waiter and tell him when his birthday is and they bring him a cake and a bunch of servers come and they sing to him. I never pay for the cakes they bring. Always a pretty decorated cake. Delicious I might add...... happy cruising..... But I have bought a nice slice of cake and a capuccino to take back to my room for an afternoon relaxing time. YUMMMMMM
Old August 21st, 2005, 12:41 PM
Admiral

We often see certain types of cakes for dessert and even when not offered there is a very nice selection to choose from. Seems that nobody was looking for these "special" desserts until they were offered for an additional charge anytime during the day that people started demanding that they allow them to have it for free. I don't consider this 'nickle & diming' either as these are special offerings that you just do not see. I see no problem with them charging extra for something extra. The prices of cruising and what you get for it is more than reasonable.
Jim

Old August 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM
browezilla

For a whole/private cake, I agree. A small charge is justified. However, when we were on the Miracle in March, the only "cakes" offered during desert were torts or similar small waffer-like cakes (which our children didn't like). Nothing like a simple slice of chocolate cake was on the menu, and I asked as well (however it was for sale outside in the pastry shop). There was nothing really special about the chocolate cake, other than it was cylindrical vs sheet. I don't believe a slice of cake like this should be charged for. Full cake, sure charge for it, a slice - no.
Old August 21st, 2005, 04:20 PM
browezilla

Similarly, at what point does a non-logo-ed food item become a specialty and justifiably be charged for? Seems like this line is moving lower and lower. I can't image 5 years ago being asked to pay for a slice of cake, but my memory's not what it used to be :-)
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

THis is the classic nickle and diming occasion. What part of the process is additional on the cruise line? The ingredients, the labor? The same goes for the coffee in the cafe as well!

Cheers,
Peter

Old August 23rd, 2005, 06:34 PM
Admiral

This is NOT a gripes board. Helpful suggestions are welcome, gripes are not and will be deleted. Let us not get off-track folks. <G>
Jim