Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo
maybe cruiselines need to learn from disney cruise line.... have a one of thier pools/hot tub area designated (and closely monitored) for adults ONLY!
You are right! I saw ship's officers sevral time remove people from that pool. It was great!!!
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: HOT TUBS with kids

Its more than adult time. The kiddos can "cook" in the hot tubs due to their age and physical development. It is a safety issue.

Chime in docs and medics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mother that knows
Keep the kids out of the hot tubs, have staff keep on top of this. That is if....the cruise line has rules not letting them in. I don't care how cute your child is or how good they are. I don't want them in when I am sitting there. Its adult time.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old December 13th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambitscuba
Kids should not be in a hot tub in general use for the customers, because hello... Warm Water plus Children's small bladders... = alot of yellow water...

however saying that... i do like the idea of a kids only hot tub... however you might get an engineer that was working that wasn't too fond of kids slowly turning the temperature up... might get nasty...
Let me get this straight, kids can't hold their bladders but mentally retarded adults can? Lets not discriminate.
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Admiral

It would be more more healthy if everyone stayed out of hot tubs since they may be a breeding ground for bacteria and "poop soup" is not a pleasant thought. I have never used a hot tub on a cruise ship, but, if you wish to do so, go right ahead.
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Admiral

May I ask whoever said hot tubs were only for adults. If you boarded the ship and you went out to the hot tub and 3 kids were in it do you feel you have the right to have them removed? If the pool is where you feel the kids should be do they have the right to ask that adults not use it since it is the only option you are giving them? Should the kids request adults do not use the slide on the pool. Pretty silly for adults to be going down slides! Ohh you are trying to be a kid again huh! well maybe the kids are trying to be like the adults by going in the hot tub. Kids misbehave in the hot tub and don't just sit and soak like the adults? Why do some adults act like idiots in the pool?

This was not directed at anyone. just wondering what some responses will be.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
Admiral

I am guessing that since I received no responses that I must have made a point!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Admiral

As a "dad", I'm surprised that you've never heard of the health risk of children being in a hot tub. Here is a quote from a medical site:

"Children are more susceptible to over-
heating than adults. Parents should not let their
children stay in hot tubs for more than five
minutes at a time. Toddlers and infants are
particularly susceptible to over-heating and
should not be permitted in the pool"

So as you see, it's not a matter of "rights", but of health.

And hey! Sure I'm almost 50 years old, and you're darned right I'm gonna go down the slide! Not the little kiddie one, but the big one in the adults pool! I may grow older, but no one says I have to grow up!!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Admiral

I agree the temp of the tub is extreme. Upon arriving on board the pool is closed, we are walking arounnd the ship, really nothing for little kids to do. They see a big tub of water that is warm, not hot. And you tell 2 little kids they can't play in it? They are kids they are as excited as the adults are boarding! So, you can go on the slide if my kids can play in the hot tub for a few minutes, deal?
Old January 8th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Admiral

Umm, maybe I didn't make myself clear...I don't go down the slide in the kiddie pool!!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

You put a young child in warm ater and he/she WILL urinate.
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
You put a young child in warm ater and he/she WILL urinate.
And who really believes that the drunk guy in the hot tub is gonna put down his beer and run all the way to the bathroom soaking wet just to pee? Lets be real here. there are adults who pee in the pool and hot tub too.
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Whatever the adults do or not do in the hot tub is no reason to feel that it is all right to dip the children in.

Personally I think that hot tubs on ships are unhealthy for all ages. Whether poop or urine, the soup isn't really inviting.
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Admiral

My wife is a pediatrician and says that hot tubs can be incubators for certain bacteria (depending on the temp of the water) and should not be used by children especially 12 or under. We stay out of them !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old March 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Besides, they aren't really "hot" tubs. More like slightly warm, which would make them really ideal for growing bacterial cultures. Yech.
Marty
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Passenger

I agree. After all hot tubs are not good for children that is why there is generally an age limit in order to enter them no matter if you are cruising or at a hotel.

Hot tubs actually dehydrate you and this is why children under a certain age should never be in one. While on a cruise be courteous of the others on the cruise as well and do not allow your children in or around the hot tubs.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Then why does Princess have that sign that says " no one under 18 allowed in the hot tubs"? I have seen NOTHING that said "except if accompanied by an adult"- you need to learn how to read.
I know how to read quite well, thank you. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The "Cruise Answer Book" that you receive prior to cruising clearly states that "children under 18 are not allowed in hot tubs UNLESS ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT". I also know how to verify the rules by asking the staff onboard ship, which I did on TWO separate occasions before bringing my nieces into the hot tub.

You can also clearly read the rules concerning children and hot tubs on Princess' website under the heading "Traveling with Children" as quoted below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.princess.com/answer/business.html
Traveling with Children

2) Children accompanied by a parent or guardian are permitted in the hot tub(s) unless otherwise specified.
I have never seen the sign you speak of, but since it directly contradicts all the other available information, I suspect that you saw it posted on an adult-only hot tub (notice how I'm not accusing you of not knowing how to read? There are sometimes logical reasons for seemingly inconsist information).

NOTE: I know that "momofmeg" posted her message quite some time ago. This is the first I've been on the boards in awhile, so I'm responding now, in defense of my reading ability and for the benefit of others who may be reading this thread.
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Passenger

Default Get over yourselves!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
Should the kids request adults do not use the slide on the pool. Pretty silly for adults to be going down slides! Ohh you are trying to be a kid again huh! ...

This was not directed at anyone. just wondering what some responses will be.
You know, you may think it's silly for an adult to go down a water slide, but I think it's much sillier to make a post like this one! Do you think I care if you think I'm silly? I'm on vacation and I'll do exactly what I want. Obviously, if the slide is "kids-only" like the ones on RCI ships, then I'm not going to go down it....but if it's a full-size slide like on a Carnival ship, then get out of the way because I'm going to make a big splash!!! Adults can enjoy fun things like water slides, too!

And by the way, I love video games, too! And again, I wouldn't dare go into a "kids only" venue, but you'd better believe that you will see me dumping alot more money into video games than you will slot machines!!! Again, I could really care less if you think I'm juvenile...I've worked extremely hard to get to a position in life where I can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise. I'm going to enjoy every second of it and those of you who think it's silly can just have a nice laugh at my expense....I honestly don't care what a person like you thinks about me, anyway!!!
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Admiral

I agree w/Big Gay Bert....what could POSSIBLY be wrong with adults going down slides?!??! I guess I could be dull and boring and just sit quietly and read a good book?? YEAH RIGHT! As long as I am physically able, you WILL find me going down (obviously not the kid's slides!) the wonderful and fun slides that show you an incredible view of the ocean from the top! I'm 50 years old, hubby & I still have annual passes to Disneyland, and NOTHING will ever stop me from doing ANYTHING I want to based solely on my age!

Life is too short to limit yourself due to silly thinking. Live life to it's fullest!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Admiral

The only hot tub I'll go in is on my back porch.
I KNOW that I test it regularly and ensure that it is clean.

A couple hundred different people in one tub over the course of a day?
No thanks.

Come to think of it...has anyone ever seen a staffer service the tub?

Recommended level is 3-6ppm FAC and that can get eaten up by one good fart.
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanS
I agree w/Big Gay Bert....what could POSSIBLY be wrong with adults going down slides?!??! I guess I could be dull and boring and just sit quietly and read a good book?? YEAH RIGHT! As long as I am physically able, you WILL find me going down (obviously not the kid's slides!) the wonderful and fun slides that show you an incredible view of the ocean from the top! I'm 50 years old, hubby & I still have annual passes to Disneyland, and NOTHING will ever stop me from doing ANYTHING I want to based solely on my age!

Life is too short to limit yourself due to silly thinking. Live life to it's fullest!
I love you!
I'll bet that going on a cruise with you would be a blast!!!
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Hubby & I love you too, Big Bert! You sound like you would be a lot of fun cruising also!

"I may grow older, but no one says I have to grow up!"

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Admiral

hmmmm forgot all about this thread! come back to it and find out I was bashed! You say you are going to do whatever you want on a ship and don't care what anyone thinks? This has been a long arguement on these boards regarding this attitude especially formal night dress. You are not on the ship alone, we are all sharing it. Are you saying you are going to have the best experience you can at the possible expense of everyone else.
Now back to the hot tub thing. First off I wouldn't watch a hot tub full of adults enjoying themselves and then go throw my kids in there. I was referring to an empty one with me in with them or sitting next to them. And, if a bunch of adults appeared to want to use it I would remove my kids. Now the heat thing. the tubs are not uncomfortably hot or I wouldn't go in em cause I am not into the hot tub thing. My pool gets up to 92 degrees in the summer and my hot tub maxes out at 100. I can't even get into it. I doubt the cruiseline is putting it that hot. And if it was I would only allow them a short time in it. Bacteria????? there is no more bacteria in it then the hand rail someone would use the whole time walking up 3 flights of stairs on the ship.
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Passenger

Default Whaaaaat?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
You say you are going to do whatever you want on a ship and don't care what anyone thinks? This has been a long arguement on these boards regarding this attitude especially formal night dress. You are not on the ship alone, we are all sharing it. Are you saying you are going to have the best experience you can at the possible expense of everyone else.
What?????

At no time did I say anything at all about doing something at the "expense" of everyone else. I said I don't care what anyone thinks. Those are two totally and completely different things. I am a very considerate person whether I am on or off of a cruise ship, because I was brought up right. I happily wait my turn in any line that I am in and I am always extra-considerate of the elderly and disabled. I hold doors open for people, and if I go to a designated smoking area where there are people who aren't smoking, I ask them if they mind before I light up, and find somewhere else to smoke if they do, even though they're in the smoking area. Going down a pool slide that is made for adults and children to enjoy has nothing to do with manners or courtesy.

And how you could possibly think that dressing up on formal night had anything to do with this discussion is completely and totally beyond me!!!! Where on earth did that come from???? I have no clue what you are rambling about. I have never worn anything less than a tux on formal night, and I pride myself on looking good every night in the dining room. Just because I enjoy going down a water slide doesn't mean that I don't like getting dressed up for dinner....that's one of my favorite parts of a cruise!!!

In my opinion, what really makes a cruise vacation special is that you get the opportunity to meet and get to know people of all ages, races, religions, and naitonalities. In order to do that, you have to be courteous and respectful to everyone else.

How, specifically, is your cruise experience diminished by an adult going down a water slide? If you can provide me with any kind of sensible reason, I will never do it.
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Admiral

BGB wrote
Quote:
I'm on vacation and I'll do exactly what I want.
this sounded to me like you were one of those people that they complain about on these boards. I referenced other things because they are common complaints on the boards just as kids in hot tubs are.
I am just an advocate for kids. I have read enough on the boards about how kids are annoying to people when all they are doing is being kids. this is not to say that unruly kids are acceptable it's just that if a kid sits in a hot tub for a few minutes and is well behaved, who the **** is he bothering? he is doing something he is well capable doing and not hurting anyone. Now, if he is misbehaving thats another thing. On another board someone mentioned their pet peeve was kids crying on planes! what? if a kids ears are hurting from the altitude it's gonna ruin your day cause he's crying. Ohh thats right they are kids they shouldn't be in an airplane.
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Admiral

I never get into a hot tub, because I think that they are unhealthy for everyone especially kids. You can make up your own mind about that.
The idea of "poop soup" doesn't appeal to me.

The slides on the main deck of the large Carnival ships are definitely too long and rough for little kids and are really for teenagers and adults. The slides in the children's area are for little kids, and adults don't use them.
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
I never get into a hot tub, because I think that they are unhealthy for everyone especially kids. You can make up your own mind about that.
The idea of "poop soup" doesn't appeal to me.

The slides on the main deck of the large Carnival ships are definitely too long and rough for little kids and are really for teenagers and adults. The slides in the children's area are for little kids, and adults don't use them.
I have never been on a large carnival ship so I don't know the difference but we were all kids once wouldn't you have wanted to go on the big slide? Maybe I am too tolerant of children, not just my own. I like to think I understand the psychology of them and tolerate them when I am doing something that I know fascinates, intriques or basically looks like the most fun in the world. As long as something is not dangerous, if something was to give a child joy I would stop doing it just to let them do it and get the satisfaction of seeing a smile on a childs face. In regards to hot tubs, how many kids really see them on a regular basis. What would that look like to you if you were 6yo? A GIANT bathtub right! how cool is that! so as an adult, big deal, let children play for a few and hopefully parents know when its enough. Personally my kids know to ask and know to stop when I say they need to stop but for the most part I let them experience anything I can....maybe for the things in life I never experienced. I want my children to be able to say someday "remember when........" instead of "i never did that". the key letters in remember is mem as in memories.
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink*peanut
Quick question. I am a teen, and my brother and I enjoy going into the hot tubs. We do not disturb anybody, we do not go all the way under the water, we just sit and relax. If my brother, friends, and I are all just sitting there relaxing and talking, would you kick us out, or just the little ones that are just splashing around and getting water in my eyes?
In my opinion, the only kids who should be banned from the hot tubs are the same ones who should be banned from the pools ... those who are not toilet trained. Other than that, as long as the parents are supervising them ... and, of course, the kids are behaving properly, the hot tubs are ship facilities and they should be allowed to use them with proper adult supervision.

We went round and round about issues such as these on the Holland America boards on another cruise line. People felt that children should be banned from the aft pool and some got upset when the main pool had to be closed down one day and the pool manager sent them all scurrying back to the aft pool. People felt their "space" was being infringed upon. No, no ... it doesn't work that way. Cruise lines like Holland America are making a big advertising ploy for the family market. They are encouraging families to sail together, with the kids. Well, if you want to do that, then you can't say those kids can use age appropriate facilities on the ship, can you? Maybe lines like Carnival and RCL ... with their mega ships have enough facilities to provide some adults-only areas ... but most of the ships of Holland America do not. Therefore, if you're gonna encourage those families to sail with their kids, you sure as heck better be ready to welcome those kids ... with full access to all age appropriate facilities, including pools and hot tubs. And, if the adults think those kids are invading their space, well ... it's real simple then. Find a cruise line that does not cater to kids ... and sail on that one.

Now as for whether or not hot tubs are good for kids ... I have no idea. But if mom and dad take those kids in regardless of such risks ... then that's mom and dad's stupidity, isn't it?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Quick question. I am a teen, and my brother and I enjoy going into the hot tubs. We do not disturb anybody, we do not go all the way under the water, we just sit and relax. If my brother, friends, and I are all just sitting there relaxing and talking, would you kick us out, or just the little ones that are just splashing around and getting water in my eyes?
In my opinion, the only kids who should be banned from the hot tubs are the same ones who should be banned from the pools ... those who are not toilet trained. Other than that, as long as the parents are supervising them ... and, of course, the kids are behaving properly, the hot tubs are ship facilities and they should be allowed to use them with proper adult supervision.

We went round and round about issues such as these on the Holland America boards on another cruise message site. People felt that children should be banned from the aft pool and some got upset when the main pool had to be closed down one day and the pool manager sent them all scurrying back to the aft pool. People felt their "space" was being infringed upon. No, no ... it doesn't work that way. Cruise lines like Holland America are making a big advertising ploy for the family market. They are encouraging families to sail together, with the kids. Well, if you want to do that, then you can't say those kids can't use age appropriate facilities on the ship, can you? Maybe lines like Carnival and RCL ... with their mega ships have enough facilities to provide some adults-only areas while still having loads of stuff for the kids ... but most of the ships of Holland America do not. Therefore, if you're gonna encourage those families to sail with their kids, you sure as heck better be ready to welcome those kids ... with full access to all age appropriate facilities, including pools and hot tubs. And, if the adults think those kids are invading their space, well ... it's real simple then. Let those adults find a cruise line that does not cater to kids ... and sail on that one.

Now as for whether or not hot tubs are good for kids ... I have no idea. But I would think it's like everything else ... in moderation it's fine for younger children. But if mom and dad take those kids in and keep them in longer than recommended by the warning signs posted ... then that's mom and dad's stupidity, isn't it?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Admiral

well said! Just got off the Majesty and my kids did go in the hot tubs. For the most part they went in when no one else was using them. If adults started going in then they jumped in the pool. And, for the record, the sign explicitly states "children must be supervised" not "no children allowed".
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
pink*peanut
I would have no objection to teens in the hot tubs providing they act in an adult manner. (Although, I must admit to seeing adults acting foolishly in the hot tubs on many occassions!) My hot tub enjoyment is reduced greatly by young children who use the hot tubs as their personal kiddie pools. I agree that young children should not be allowed to use hot tubs because of the hot temperature of the water and the fact that they are disruptive. Kids will be kids and should be allowed to enjoy themselves in a different, safer environment.