Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2005, 05:30 AM
A Mother that knows

Default HOT TUBS with kids

Keep the kids out of the hot tubs, have staff keep on top of this. That is if....the cruise line has rules not letting them in. I don't care how cute your child is or how good they are. I don't want them in when I am sitting there. Its adult time.
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Passenger

Default Re: HOT TIBS with kids

YES!!!

Old August 20th, 2005, 05:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: HOT TUBS with kids

Hot tubs are not good for young children. The hot water is not well tolerated by their systems.
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Admiral

I agree! The security and Staff need to understand that the few people who they might offend for enforcing the rules are less in number than those that are offended by little Mikey and Janie with their swim fins and goggles. <G>
Jim

Old August 20th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quick question. I am a teen, and my brother and I enjoy going into the hot tubs. We do not disturb anybody, we do not go all the way under the water, we just sit and relax. If my brother, friends, and I are all just sitting there relaxing and talking, would you kick us out, or just the little ones that are just splashing around and getting water in my eyes?
pink*peanut

Past Cruises:
Explorer of the Seas---October '04
Vision of the Seas------February'06

Next Cruise:
Liberty of the Seas---March 8th-15th, 2008
Old August 21st, 2005, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Pink Peanut, I don't think folks would object to teens using the tubs in the manner in which they were designed. What aggrivates most people are those small kids who want to jump, splash, and wear goggles, waterwings, and large rubber ducks and inflatable toys. This really should not be allowed at all. We have also seen children running from one tub to another and in and out of the large pool only staying afew minuted in each one. That is distrubing. Teens acting like adults and relaxing, I have no problem with.
Jim

Old August 21st, 2005, 06:08 PM
K aka maleficent

Wait now..if your child knows how to behave and doesnt mind adult chat...It wouldnt bother me that a child would sit next or across from me and held a conversation with the hot tub patrons...LIKE THATS GOING to happen. A child will not and never could just sit. Its out of there nature. They would leave before they would be subjected to sit and relax.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Another case of the cruise lines needing to enforce their own rules. Hot tubs are not good for the little ones, ask any Pediatrican. Well-behaved teens and adults are fine.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

At the risk of sounding like so many others, I will defend my kids left, right and centre about how well behaved they are. I KNOW they are going to make me proud at dinner (formal nights included), be on their best behaviour, etc, etc.

That being said, as good as my kids are (and I may be a little biased here), there is no way they are going to sit quietly and relax in a hot tub. Maybe my son who will be 11, and that's a big maybe, but definately not my 7 year old. And just to clarify, I'm saying maybe my son would sit and relax, but bottom line is that he's a kid and will not be in the hot tub.

I also agree that hot tubs are not too good for kids anyway.

Old August 24th, 2005, 10:30 AM
lisiamc

Default Re: Re: HOT TUBS with kids

bzeus,

I wish all parents had your great attitude. You and your kids must be a pleasure to cruise with.

Maybe the cruiselines could consider a hot tub specifically for kids, say over the age of six - maybe turn the temp down to a level safe for kids? And require parental supervision, of course!

Lisa
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:50 PM
tigger1

Default Re: Re: Re: HOT TUBS with kids

This is a great idea! I have a daughter age 11, we follow RULES....wherever we and whatever the RULES state we follow them

I also don't think it's a good idea for kids to be in hot tubs.....if the cruiseline has a rule against kids in hot tubs...well then parents, it's your job and the ships to enforce it!

But that being said, I don't think it fair that there is a Solarium (indoor pool) only for adults! If you encounter rainy/nasty weather the adults would still be okay to swim in the Solarium....however, the kids would be out of luck.......and then once again everyone would be complaining about children!

Quite a few ships I understand have a kids-pool area complete with retractable roof and pool slide...sort of the adult version of the Solarium.

Happy sailing all.
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Captain

On my last two cruises, one of my favorite activities to do with my two nieces (ages 8 and 9) was to take them to the hot tub late at night. The warm water felt great in the cool night air. The girls really enjoyed playing "grown up" and I enjoyed this special quiet time with them. Since my twins were born, I don't often get time to just sit and chat with my nieces and it was fun catching up with all that's going on in their lives (my mom watched my twins while we hot tubbed). Of course, I would not have taken them if it was against the rules, but on Princess it isn't (along as they are accompanied by an adult). And of course I made them behave appropriately.

By the way, my sisters asked their pediatricians about it and they said that hot tubs were fine as long as they are supervised so that they don't stay too long and get overheated.
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Tigger1

Default Re: Re: HOT TUBS with kids

Wonderful! Well behaved kids, responsible adult, and everyone played by the RULES. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.....congratulations and good luck with your twins.

My goddaughter just had twin girls, now 8 mos.....first time in either or our families!
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Passenger

MOTHER!!! PLEASE, DONT YOU KNOW? YOU PUT 2 OR 3 ADULTS IN THAT HOT TUB AND YOU ARE LIKE A GRENADE. THEY SCRAM WHEN ADULTS COME AROUND.
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Beginner

Default Hot Tubs with Kids

I agree it is not a swmming pool.

That said we vacation with our children often and they know the rules. It is too bad so many parents do not control their kids. This makes it difficult for those of us that do.

I would remove my child if they misbehaved in a hot tub.
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Tigger 1,
What cruise ships have the indoor pool and slide just for kids?
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: HOT TUBS with kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1
But that being said, I don't think it fair that there is a Solarium (indoor pool) only for adults! If you encounter rainy/nasty weather the adults would still be okay to swim in the Solarium....however, the kids would be out of luck.......and then once again everyone would be complaining about children!
On RCI, the rules are the Solarium is for adults only(16 and over), unless there is bad weather, then the kids can enter and use the Solarium between 12-4pm.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hot Tubs with kids

What about adult conversations in adult hot tubs. In Some cases, I wouldn't want children or pre-teens listening in.
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Admiral

The true fact is that hot tubs that many people use are really not healthy for anyone, especially kids. Use them if you wish, but don't complain if you get sick
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM
First Mate

maybe cruiselines need to learn from disney cruise line.... have a one of thier pools/hot tub area designated (and closely monitored) for adults ONLY!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by K aka maleficent
Wait now..if your child knows how to behave and doesnt mind adult chat...It wouldnt bother me that a child would sit next or across from me and held a conversation with the hot tub patrons...LIKE THATS GOING to happen. A child will not and never could just sit. Its out of there nature. They would leave before they would be subjected to sit and relax.

This is why there are kids in the adult pool/spa! why is everyone always wanting to brake the rules? Just because your kid is well behaved dosen't mean he/she is wanted in or around adults!
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:29 AM
Beginner

Default Share the hot tub

The wonderful thing about cruises is that people are generally very happy and that no one is griping! I call it the happiest place on earth! I have a well behaved child who used the hot tub that was next to the mixed use pool. I would not want anyone telling him he could not use this. He paid full price for his ticket and should be able to use the facilities. The adults on our cruise had a pool for them in the back. Most ships now have many hot tubs.
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

That was one of the (few) things that annoyed me about our recent cruise on Carnival Victory. There were FIVE public hot tubs on the Lido deck, and only ONE of them was designated as "adult only". Don't you know that there were almost always kids in all FIVE of them, even the adult-only one? It's not like there weren't four other tubs the kids could use.

Of course, most of the kids don't know any better - I blame it on two things: one - parents who don't care or pay attention to what their kids are doing. Lots of kids were running around the pool areas with no apparent supervision whatsoever. I think some parents use the pools to babysit their kids while they run off doing other things. Two - the security folks who show up every once in a while who also don't enforce the rules. The single thing that p*ssed me off the most about the cruise was how vigilant the security officers were about chasing adult beverages out of the adult hot tub area (even in plastic cups) while completely ignoring the fact that 6-year-olds were in the same tub.
Old July 30th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kids should not be in a hot tub in general use for the customers, because hello... Warm Water plus Children's small bladders... = alot of yellow water...

however saying that... i do like the idea of a kids only hot tub... however you might get an engineer that was working that wasn't too fond of kids slowly turning the temperature up... might get nasty...
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:21 AM
Passenger

I dont think it needs to end there on rules for children.
Not only should they not be allowed in the hot tubs, but I believe that there should be a curfew every night for 17 and under. Kids are everywhere all hours of the night. Running all around especially on the deck where the ping pong table is. Almost like they know their parents woudn't think to look for them there. I say midnight is plenty late.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp911
I dont think it needs to end there on rules for children.
Not only should they not be allowed in the hot tubs, but I believe that there should be a curfew every night for 17 and under. Kids are everywhere all hours of the night. Running all around especially on the deck where the ping pong table is. Almost like they know their parents woudn't think to look for them there. I say midnight is plenty late.
I do believe that the amount of children running around a cruise ship depends on the cruise line.

If you sail Carnival, Disney or RCCI...of course you will have tons of kids...Those cruise lines cater to young families with children, and family groups.

On Celebrity, Holland America and sometimes even Princess you will find fewer groups of families with young children...As adults, with no children at home...we prefer cruise lines that do not draw younger families.

I think it's admirable that some parents want to expose their children to a varity of life experiences, e.g. cruising, eating in a nice restaurant, etc. ...BUT not all venues are appropriate or fair to try and force that shared family experience on others NOT involved with the family.

Parents try to be balanced and consider the feelings of other paying cruise passengers. Just because you can...doesn't mean you should!

Not all adults feel totally comfortable or relaxed with children around an adult spa or pool area, no matter how well behaved.

Just as you as a parent would not feel totally comfortable if you went to a child's play area...and saw a couple of adults playing video or pin ball games...they're not doing anything wrong...just playing with the games. But the children might not feel comfortable, and you as a parent might not appreciate the adults being there. After all, this is for the kids, right?

Same with the adults...we like to have area's just for us too!
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Admiral

bzeus,

I also appreciate the attitude about your kids...we always expected our kids to behave in restaurants, and if not, you're outt here!!! But at the same time we didn't put them in circumstances that they were too young to deal with...

Thanks for your behavior with your kids, and I hope other parents learn from you!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanS
bzeus,

I also appreciate the attitude about your kids...we always expected our kids to behave in restaurants, and if not, you're outt here!!! But at the same time we didn't put them in circumstances that they were too young to deal with...

Thanks for your behavior with your kids, and I hope other parents learn from you!

Cruising with well behaved kids is great. I think it would be boring without them!
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mother that knows
Keep the kids out of the hot tubs, have staff keep on top of this. That is if....the cruise line has rules not letting them in. I don't care how cute your child is or how good they are. I don't want them in when I am sitting there. Its adult time.
I am not a fan of kids in the hot tub either but after reading posts of jerks bragging about have sex in the hot tubs-well I would rather have a little kid-pee in the tub with me then some unknown man's seman.
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruise
On my last two cruises, one of my favorite activities to do with my two nieces (ages 8 and 9) was to take them to the hot tub late at night. The warm water felt great in the cool night air. The girls really enjoyed playing "grown up" and I enjoyed this special quiet time with them. Since my twins were born, I don't often get time to just sit and chat with my nieces and it was fun catching up with all that's going on in their lives (my mom watched my twins while we hot tubbed). Of course, I would not have taken them if it was against the rules, but on Princess it isn't (along as they are accompanied by an adult). And of course I made them behave appropriately.

By the way, my sisters asked their pediatricians about it and they said that hot tubs were fine as long as they are supervised so that they don't stay too long and get overheated.
Then why does Princess have that sign that says " no one under 18 allowed in the hot tubs"? I have seen NOTHING that said "except if accompanied by an adult"- you need to learn how to read.