Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Admiral

Default Photographers

While photographers are not well thought of for the most part I do understand why they are there HOWEVER...They should NEVER be allowed to use the stairs in the atrium for photo taking when the show lounge lets out. Onboard the CCL Glory the only way out of the show lounge is by way of the stairwell or elevators, (packed), or by acending the single staircase in the atrium. The photographers were not allowing people to go up or down this one stairway and the atrium was packed with blocked cruisers trying to go to other decks. Not good.
Jim
Old September 19th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I also agree with you Jim, we had the same problem trying to get out of the area, I would of normally used those stairs, but they were blocked both up a deck and the lower one. I think they need to find another less crowded area to do that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Passenger

I agree Jim. The should not be allowed to block public passage ways during bury times.

Also, they should never take your picture w/o asking. Have you read the Cruise Contract with what they can do with your likeness they capture on film? I don't know if they would actualy use it, but sheesh, you sign away all rights.
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Admiral

On the using your photo without permission that is just a right that Americans have. It is called 'freedom of the press'. I understand where you are coming from but whenever you are in a public place you do not have the right to privacy and anyone can photograph you or even tape you and can use it or reproduce it without permission. If this right did not exist then you would have to get everyones permission to include them in your personal photos if they appeared in the backgroud etc.
Jim

PS It is also a great Law Enforcement tool when we take photos opf people we want to document were at places etc or need to pass on their likeness. I have also stood outside bars etc that are known places of prostitution with a camera. You would be surprised at how many ran away never to come back there!
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

Sorry JIm, but I disagree, this has nothing to do with freedom of the press. It is a release that they can use if they happen to use your image for a commercial purpose.

You only need a release if something is going to be published, and yes, new photogs get releases from people that are in photographs. However for your own personal pictures you would never need to get a release from people in your photos.

Your last comment seems to cast you a a video vigilante as well.

Cheers,
Peter
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Only if they use your likeness for commercial reasons such as advertisements or in commercial movies etc. The news can and does publish photos of people and activities without getting permission all the time. Even though I usually turned my head I have appeared many times on TV and in the papers as have the people I was arresting and those in the area. No such permission was ever asked nor is it necessary.
Jim