Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

View Poll Results: Would you book a cruise on a SMOKING ship?
Yes, definately 126 45.99%
Maybe 18 6.57%
No way! 130 47.45%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Robert6260's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 88
Default

I went on the Paradise when it was non-smoking. It was the most boring crowd I’ve ever had the pleasure to cruise with. By 1 AM there were hardly any people still up. Based on this cruise I would not go on a non-smoking ship even though I do not smoke.
__________________
Carnival Freedom
Back to Back
Carnival Freedom
Inspiration - June, 2007
Carnival Valor - May, 2007
Carnival Glory - August, 2005
Carnival Glory - April, 2004
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Sensation - September, 2000
Paradise - June, 2000
SS Norway - May, 1996
Fantasy - November, 1993
SS Norway - May, 1993
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:33 PM
rinker250's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 2,881
Default

I am one of the dreaded ex-smokers (2 packs a day for 26 years).
When I am traveling and I visit a bar I have to put my clothes on the balcony of my room because of the smell.

I can even tell if a smoker used the elevator before me.

But, there are plenty of places that don't smell so I would probably book a smoking ship.
__________________
Dan
Peace through superior firepower.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,450
Default

No I would not. I deal with it now when I cruise but if the cruiseline catered to smokers than no. I think that is what you mean by "A smoking ship".
__________________
Quantum of the Seas 12/2014
Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbie1
Good pun Paul

Fern, I would not book a smoke anywhere ship because I would be thrown off for all the coughing. I am allergic to cigarette smoke.

crabbie1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Yes, Fieldmouse! Well put! I am allergic to cigarette smoke. It causes my sinus to clog and then my throat gets sore. I am one of those who fans the smoke and coughs when I go through it on ships and I AM NOT FAKING! I would have to take the stairs everywhere because of smoking elevators... well, I just could not function on a ship like that. So, No, I would not book on it.
Make that three that would not book a cruise based on your definition - just too much hassle.

I can live with cigarette smoke, but my wife is also allergic to second hand smoke - in her case, exposure to cigarette smoke triggers an asthma attack.

We were desperate for a cruise recently (I needed to get away from work), so we booked on the Carnival Liberty. Thankfully, the places that we wanted to enjoy (we have friends who are entertainers and were on board) were smokefree, but walking through parts of the ship were problematic. She could not go anywhere near the Internet Cafe (located behind the Cigar Bar), the back elevator shaft stunk of smoke from the Cigar Bar, you could not walk down the Promenade anytime the Casino was in operation and there was a lady down the hall from us who seemed to believe that a minute without a lit cigarette was a wasted minute.

On her comments card, my wife wrote that I had a cruise and she had a vacation.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:07 PM
badknees's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 164
Default

I don't think any non-smoker would ever book on a smoking anywhere ship. Frankly I doubt that many smokers could stand one. I have heard smokers complain when it gets too bad.
I have not had that much trouble avoiding all of the "fun" smokers on the ships since I do not hang out at the places where all of the fun is going on. I do gamble a little and don't care for all of the smoking in the casino but it doesn't take long to lose my money so that isn't too much of a problem. I wouldn't mind hanging out at some of the bars but the smoking is too much so I don't.
As for all of the fun people who smoke; it is an addiction folks. Do you know how quickly you get addicted to cigarettes? It is fast. And then you can't do without them. I really hate to hear someone say that they really enjoy it. Of course you do. Addicts always enjoy their drugs even when they hate them. You can't do without them. And then they say they don't quit because they enjoy it and don't want to quit. Of course you don't. Keep kidding yourselves right into the grave, if you're lucky, and if you're not, a real hell of bad health as you age. I'm a nurse and am still surprised at the number of people in the health field who smoke. I shouldn't be. An addiction is difficult to break no matter who you are or what you do.
I have had dear people die fairly young as a result of smoking. They have had disabling strokes, heart attacks and my dear sister-in-law died in her 50's with lung cancer. It was heartbreaking. Her sister who was a dear friend too. She didn't quit either. She even said to me Am I stupid? I said yes. She can't quit. None of them can. Wise up! I guess they may as well be fun while they can. It won't be fun later.
I do wish they wouldn't let people smoke in their cabins. Luckily most of the fun smokers stay out gambling and hanging in the bars don't spend much time in their cabins smoking and polluting it. I do appreciate that. I'm from Florida and although I enjoy the non-smoking restaurants my husband and I both voted against the ban. I hate government regulations more than I hate smoking. You can avoid smokers. It is much harder to avoid the governmental intrusions.
Excuse my little tirade but it always riles me hearing about "poor smokers" whose whole purpose in life seems to be how non-smokers keep causing them not to be able to get their fix. There is no such thing as a polite smoker and they resent it even when they think they are trying to be polite. I know a lot of smokers and I know how they think.
A friend and I don't do many things together anymore because she thought I was unreasonable to suggest we at least take turns of smoking and nonsmoking restaurants.
At least on Carnival things seem satisfactory to me where smoking is concerned. I haven't traveled on any other line yet.
__________________
NCL-Pride of America-May 2011-Hawaii
Carnival Elation-Feb 2011-Mexico
Carnival Elation-Nov 2010-Mexico
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: lake palestine texas
Posts: 29
Default

we definately would, and would definately definately book on an all-smoking, no children under 18 ship... but I guess we all should just keep on dreaming...... ! ! ! !

We booked an all-inclusive in Playa del Carmen, 5 nights, that was "supposed" to be an all adult, no children, resort. Au Contraire ! !


Little ones everywhere and doing nothing but running screaming, teenagers drunk and puking in the pool, it was so bad, we spent extra bucks and took a cab each day and got the heck out of there.

Smoke anywhere, no children would be my dream cruise.
__________________
Pride Sept 2 - Mexican Riviera

Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
rollerdonna's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Caribou River, Nova Scotia
Posts: 16,335
Default

No way! In fact, one of the best cruises I ever went on was the Paradise, non-smoking ship. No smelly cabins, no choking common rooms, no wafting smoke on the pool deck, no having to hold your breath leaving the dining room because the route took you right through the cigar lounge!

Bring back the smoke-free ship!

donna
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Phil&Liz's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,979
Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
No way! In fact, one of the best cruises I ever went on was the Paradise, non-smoking ship. No smelly cabins, no choking common rooms, no wafting smoke on the pool deck, no having to hold your breath leaving the dining room because the route took you right through the cigar lounge!

Bring back the smoke-free ship!

donna

I'm with you on this one. THe best cruise I've been on so far (except for the one I proposed to Liz on) was on The Renaissance in Tahiti.
Adult only no smoking. That was the best !!!

Phil & Liz
__________________
The Original Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miamisburg Ohio
Posts: 74
Default

As a former smoker I have no problem with a ship being designated "non smoking"; however, I do not think it should be banned from all ships everywhere.

Non smokers have rights, but so do smokers. If you want to smoke you should be allowed to do so in designated areas. If you don't like smoke, don't go in those areas. It's very simple.

I have found that some of the most avid anti-smokers are those who were former smokers. I honestly think they act the way they do out of jealousy (i.e., ‘because I don’t smoke no one else should either.’)

We recently passed a no-smoking law in Ohio. No smoking in any business, anywhere, period. Because of this most bars, restaurants and even a few bowling allies are reporting a loss of 40 to 60% of their business. (I was very surprised at the 60% number and bowling allies.) Now with a few exceptions, most of the places hurt by this law are places most smokers never went to, and even after the law was passed, still don’t go to. If you never went to those places, and still don’t go to those places, why should you care if they smoke in them?

The same is true onboard ship. If you don’t like smoke, don’t go into the smoking areas. But please, stop trying to restrict other people’s right to smoke in them. Smokers should respect your rights, and you should respect theirs.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,139
Default Re: How many people would book a SMOKING ship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
Just to play devil's advocate, would you book a ship if smoking was allowed on most of the ship? Non-smokers could have one or two bars and one side of the pool deck.

I think a smoking ship would fill up fast !
I honestly would have to disagree with you. I think the cruise line would have a very difficult time filling a ship that was advertised as "smoking allowed just about everywhere."

There are a lot of non-smokers who go on ships where smoking is permitted only because they are with people who smoke ... such as a spouse or family member. They don't like it, but they figure there will be plenty of other non-smokers around, so it shouldn't be too bad. Now you tell them that this particular sailing is billed as a "smokers' free for all" and that's something they may not be willing to subject themselves too ... because there will be an overwhelming number of smokers on that particular sailing, and that much cigarette smoke may make them ill.

I think the best thing we smokers can hope for is that most cruise lines will retain the privilege of allowing us to smoke in our cabins and on balconies, and that at least some areas will be set aside for smokers ... such as maybe an area of one or two lounges, maybe some outdoor deck space, etc. Otherwise, unfortunately, it is us ... the smokers ... who are gonna feel the squeeze in the coming years, and if we want to continue to cruise, it is us ... not the non-smokers ... who are gonna have to make the adjustment ... with fewer and fewer public areas open to smoking onboard the ship.

Sadly, that's just the way it is.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Reply With Quote
  #41 (permalink)  
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Mike M's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: You're Looking At Me
Posts: 23,886
Default

I haven't looked in on this thread for a long time and I'm rather surprised at how the poll is dispersed.

It seems that Yes and Maybe are in the lead.

I find it rather interesting.

Take care,
Mike
__________________
Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:04 PM
kd kd is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 269
Default

Not in this lifetime...and hopefully it won't be an issue in the next!
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 561
Default

Just feel sorry for folks with this filthy addiction. Don't most of you smokers realize that the older guy walking around Walmart with the portable oxygen is you in a few years? Does that look appealing to you? Looks pretty cool and sexy now, doesn't he? Smokers always talk about their freedom and rights...How much freedom will the portable O2 provide you?

If you smoke, I'm sorry but you stink. Your breath stinks, your clothes stink and your house probably stinks. You don't "enjoy" smoking your just addicted to it and "enjoy" is your crutch term cause you can't bring yourself to admit you are completely addicted to a drug. Also, why do you and I pay the same for health insurance? You are purposely doing something that you know is, in all probablilty, going to cause you at least some health problems in the future. While something can happen to any of us, what is the incentive for some of us who try to half way take care of oursleves and will not need coverage for poisoning ourselves on purpose? Smokers talk about their "rights" to remain well covered, what about the rights of non-smokers to pay a bit less for insurance because we don't go out of our way to slowly destroy ourselves?
__________________
Carnival Holiday (1999 ?)
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2007
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 2009
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:48 PM
kd kd is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 269
Default

The results thus far astound me. The 'yes definitely' (not definAtely)crowd is apparently not aware of the health hazard of second hand smoke. As a nurse I have watched the misery and suffering of people following removal of a lobe of lung or even dying of lung cancer--and they never smoked a day in their lives, just worked or lived with a smoker. Also increases your risk of other cancers, especially breast cancer. We prefer to have our best shot at a healthy and long life; that also includes avoiding obesity and a lot of liquor consumption. Before you ask why we cruise (we don't gamble either)--we love being in the warm sun in the frigid winter, love seeing new places and historical sites, snorkeling, swimming, experiencing fine dining etc. Smoking just happens to be one of the negatives of cruising that we have learned to endure.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miamisburg Ohio
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
Just feel sorry for folks with this filthy addiction. Don't most of you smokers realize that the older guy... with the portable oxygen is you in a few years? Smokers always talk about their freedom and rights...

If you smoke, I'm sorry but you stink... You don't "enjoy" smoking ...you can't bring yourself to admit you are completely addicted to a drug. Also, why do you and I pay the same for health insurance? You are purposely doing something that you know is, in all probablilty, going to cause you at least some health problems in the future. While something can happen to any of us, what is the incentive for some of us who try to half way take care of oursleves and will not need coverage for poisoning ourselves on purpose? Smokers talk about their "rights" to remain well covered, what about the rights of non-smokers to pay a bit less for insurance because we don't go out of our way to slowly destroy ourselves?

Ok, lets back the anti-smoking band wagon up just a second, can we please? Yep, it's an addiction and its bad for you. No question about it. I stopped smoking a few years ago, after smoking an average 3 or 4 cigs (not packs mind you) a day. I realize that my consumption rate was not typical; however, I did enjoy them. So yes it is possible. I might also note that the more I smoked the less enjoyable it was, hence my self imposed limit.

Ok, let’s back the anti-smoking band wagon up just a second, can we please? Yep, it's an addiction and bad for you. No question about it. Yes, it smells. But so does some perfumes. I stopped smoking a few years ago, after smoking an average 3 or 4 cigs (not packs mind you) a day. I realize that my consumption rate was not typical; however, I did enjoy them. So yes it is possible. I might also note that the more I smoked the less enjoyable it was, hence my self imposed limit. If not for my concerns about the negative health effects they could cause me in the future, I would have continued to smoke at that same rate.

As for health insurance rates, you are in error. A smoker pays much more in health care premiums than a non smoker. So your “rights? for paying less in insurance is not effected. Go online and check the rates for yourself.

As for doing something that will probably cause some health problems in the future, that can be said for almost everything. If you eat there is cholesterol and calories to worry about. If you enjoy running or climbing it will eventually cause problems with the joints and limbs. Want to discuss the many problems associated with sex? The point is there are risks with everything and life itself ends for each of us at some point for one reason or another. As long as they are not blowing in your face let them enjoy it even if it kills them. Think of it as thinning the heard of the shallow end of the gene pool.
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 561
Default

Well, last time I checked all the smokers at work and I paid exactly the same rate each month for our premiums (group rate). If you're talking about people who insure individually I suppose what you are saying might be true. I'm pretty much willing to bet that there are more people insured by group coverage than buying individual coverage. Also, I knew someone would play the cholestrol, food, sex card and talk about other things that can cause harm. I think if we ask the average MD if a person is more at risk through smoking or some of those other things, I have a feeling he's probably going to encourage you to quit smoking before worrying about cheeseburgers...Just a hunch. I'm actually surprised that more insurance companies aren't raising premiums or cancelling coverage for people who smoke are very obsese or compromising themselves in other self imposed ways. I don't think it would be such a sin if they required people to limit certain behaviors in their lives if they wish to remain covered. But I know that's a whole other can of worms!

To be honest, I really don't care if folks want to smoke. I just said I felt sorry for those with that filthy addiction. Sure they are free to do what they want...Just hurts to watch friends and relatives hack and just slowly destroy themselves with something that the could, if they really tried, probably stop doing. Somehow their freedom doesn't make it any easier to watch...Imagine that. I have no doubt it's probably the toughest thing in the world to stop doing though. Keep it out of restaurants, public buildings and my face and I won't complain.
__________________
Carnival Holiday (1999 ?)
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2007
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 2009
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miamisburg Ohio
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
...smokers at work and I paid exactly the same rate each month for our premiums (group rate). If you're talking about people who insure individually I suppose what you are saying might be true. ... I knew someone would play the cholestrol, food, sex card and talk about other things that can cause harm. I think if we ask the average MD if a person is more at risk through smoking or some of those other things...Just a hunch.

Just hurts to watch friends and relatives hack and just slowly destroy themselves ...Keep it out of restaurants, public buildings and my face and I won't complain.
Yes, for a group plan at work you are probably paying the same amount. In that case you are paying the same rate as a smoker, and someone with diabetis, someone with kidney stones, someone with a bad prostate, someone with arthritis, someone with ...well...you get the idea.
For group plans the insurance company is concerned with how many trips to the doctor, hospital, emergency room, et. all the insured group makes and then compares that against other companies similar in size. So your argument does not hold up.

As for which will kill you quicker, overeating or smoking, there are too many variables to compute for a good statistical average. Family history, genetics, personal habits and living /working environments, tolerances, body mass, how much you smoke, what kinds of foods you eat, and the list goes on.

So yes lets ask an MD shall we?

Smoking related long term illness is a terrible way to die. It can last a few months or several years. Statistically starting when a person hits the mid sixties. Overweight individuals who develope a heart condition might tend to start dropping off in their mid fifties. So which is better? Long slow and painful at 65 or short fast and painful at 55? Either way does not appeal to me.

And yes, it does hurt to see friends and loved ones pass. But if they die from smoking related illness, overeating or a street accident does not negate the fact they are still just as dead.

Finally, if you don't like it in a restaurant or public building don't go in those buildings. It's that simple. If on the other hand you have buisness there, the building should designate a smokers section. As for the original topic of this post, if it were advertised as a smoker friendly ship, why on earth would you want to cruise on it feeling the way you do? Take one of the other ships that either restrict it or don't allow it.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 561
Default

If you took a moment to read back my posts, I didn't say anything about whether or not I'd take an all smoking cruise (I wouldn't)...I'm not sure exactly what sense it would make for a cruise line to offer this as a feature cruise. The ships are generally at capacity now and I really don't think they want the public reputation of being quite that pro-smoking. I'm not sure that the majority of smokers would actually even want such a cruise...I've had smokers tell me in ship casinos that the smoke was actually too heavy even for them...That's some pretty heavy smoke. I doubt many of them want it like that ship wide.

Thanks for the advice to not go into any public building where smoking is allowed. Unfortunately, the reality of life is most of us have to go into all kinds of buildings all of the time either for work related issues or things in our personal life so sorry, that suggestion doesn't make any sense. Also, I don't feel someone should have to skip applying for a job in a public building just because they have asthma or some other allergic condition that smoke aggravates. The non-smoking section in restaurants is usually a joke. As an example, is there any way a waitress with such a condition could, in reality, work in a restaurant just because they agree to keep her/him in the non-smoking section? Of course, there is no way because there is generally plenty of smoke that seems to make its way over to the non-smoking section right through that imaginary non-smoking line. So it's tough luck for her/him applying there just because smoking is allowed inside? It doesn't belong in restarurants or any public building, period because the bottom line is that it's a hazard for other people who don't smoke. If people want to do it at home, that's their choice. If people want to make the argument that cologne, car air pollution, hot dogs or whatever cause as much damage to people then go for it...See how much traction that logic gets ya lol.
__________________
Carnival Holiday (1999 ?)
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2007
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 2009
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:03 PM
kd kd is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 269
Default

Ever heard the old saying "your freedom ends where my nose begins."??
Thank God I live in a place where smoking is prohibited in all restaurants, public buildings, etc. A hotel we stayed at recently in Calgary stated they retained only a few rooms reserved for smokers, everything else was smoke free. Ah, to be able to sleep in a room or stateroom that doesn't reak of old smoke. We've come a long way, baby (as cig ads used to say). When I had my first babies there were actually women in the same room, lighting up while feeding baby. Gone are the large signs we used to put up outside cardiac rooms that warned "NO SMOKING--Oxygen in use". Smoking is now no longer tolerated within a specified number of feet from the hospital entrance. Cruise ships appear to be one of the last holdouts where air pollution is tolerated. The way the trend is going, our grandkids may someday look back at present situations and be aghast, just as I look back on the smoking in hospital rooms.
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miamisburg Ohio
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
I'm not sure exactly what sense it would make for a cruise line to offer this as a feature cruise.

... the reality of life is most of us have to go into all kinds of buildings all of the time either for work related issues or things in our personal life so sorry, that suggestion doesn't make any sense.

Also, I don't feel someone should have to skip applying for a job in a public building just because they have asthma or some other allergic condition that smoke aggravates. The non-smoking section in restaurants is usually a joke... is there any way a waitress with such a condition could ... work in a restaurant just because they agree to keep her/him in the non-smoking section? Of course, there is no way because there is generally plenty of smoke that seems to make its way over to the non-smoking section right through that imaginary non-smoking line. It doesn't belong in restarurants or any public building, period because the bottom line is that it's a hazard for other people who don't smoke. If people want to do it at home, that's their choice. ... If people want to make the argument that cologne, car air pollution, hot dogs or whatever cause as much damage to people then go for it...See how much traction that logic gets ya lol.
Actually, if smoking was banned on all other ships, yes I am sure they could easily fill one on a consistent basis with people who want to smoke. If the smoking problem is as bad as you claim they shouldn’t have too much of a problem booking at least one ship to capacity.

Yes, you probably have to go into a lot of buildings. However, in the US and Canada I don’t know of one building you must go into where there is no restriction on smoking. If your argument is a bar or bowling alley, unless you are making a delivery or sale as part of your job, you don’t have to go into such a building. If you enter such an establishment it is, by choice.

As far as the people who work in such buildings, that is also by choice. If they have a condition that is aggravated by smoke, they don’t have to work there. They can apply for work at a smoke free work place. What fool with an allergic condition would work at a place that makes the condition worse?

As for restaurants, you must have a keen sense of smell or perhaps you are sitting too close to the smoking section. Maybe the air system does not work well in that establishment. If any of these are the case, go somewhere else that is a smoke free establishment. There are more smoke free establishments now then places where smoke is allowed so you have far more choices than smokers.

And finally, there are already places in the US where some towns are attempting to banish smoking in private homes. I am sure you would enjoy living there. The only problem might be when such well meaning folks like yourself attempt to take away a privilege you currently enjoy.
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:12 PM
kd kd is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 269
Default

I feel like I am inserting myself into a private conversation between you two. Actually, banning smoking in the home isn't as outrageous an idea as you imply. Do you have any idea how smoke affects babies, either in utero or after they're toddling about your smoke-filled house or vehicle? Smaller birth weights, recurrent bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, allergies. If a well-deserved thump on a padded bum can be construed as child abuse, then so can smoke in the home. Back to cruising.....while I don't consider smoking to be a privilege, but rather a very unhealthy habit, every privilege comes with responsibilities. And I really don't care if the sun is only shining on the non-smoking side of the pool deck (a frequent excuse) smokers please stay on your own side.
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 561
Default

Do you have an illness that smoking aggravates? If not, maybe we can let some of the folks who do tell us whether or not simply staying in the "non-smoking" section of a restarurant keeps it from aggravating their medical condition completely. I suppose they just have "oversensitive" noses too, right? It's a little like the airlines were a few years ago when they allowed smoking in the back of the plane...Problem was, of course, non-smokers had to walk through and wait in the putrid cloud to use the restroom. Smokers whined for years when all airlines became non-smoking...Once again their "rights"to make others sick had been violated.

I think you missed at least a dozen other types of people who have to go into smoking establishments...Law enforcement, custodians, food inspectors, state auditors & inspectors, maintenance folks, any number of utility workers just to name a few. Should all these folks change careers if they happen to have a condition aggravated by smoking? Also, last time I checked, bowling alleys were fairly popular places for kids parties.

Again, it's simple. It doesn't belong in any public place at all. I'm not sure where you dreamed up the notion that I'm for prohibiting it in private homes because I specifically said it shouldn't be. Although KD pointed out some things that do make sense on that very subject.
__________________
Carnival Holiday (1999 ?)
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2007
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 2009
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:57 PM
rinker250's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 2,881
Default

Having been on both sides of the fence (smoked heavily for 27 years and free of the nicotine fiend for the past four) I think I have a pretty unbiased view.
My folks smoked heavily during all of my formative years and I have no ill effects.
I'm not saying it is safe to smoke around non-smokers I'm just observing.
If all the things that science now says are/were bad for me...its a miracle any of us made it this far.
__________________
Dan
Peace through superior firepower.
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:09 PM
kd kd is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 269
Default

[quote="rinker250"]Having been on both sides of the fence (smoked heavily for 27 years and free of the nicotine fiend for the past four) I think I have a pretty unbiased view.
My folks smoked heavily during all of my formative years and I have no ill effects.
I'm not saying it is safe to smoke around non-smokers I'm just observing.
If all the things that science now says are/were bad for me...its a miracle any of us made it this far.[/quot

Well you very likely have suffered effects or will in the future, but have never related it to smoking. I guess the worst effect your parents smoking had on you was to influence you to start smoking and probably at a young age. The science involved in the detrimental effects of smoking is hardly new nor is it 'iffy'. Post mortems are pretty conclusive evidence of a destroyed lung, as are the statistics of children with smoking parents vs. those with non-smoking. Congratulations, you're one of the lucky ones who dodged a bullet. We can't seem to get back on topic, so one more shot. We have avoided European cruises and Euro cruiselines for the simple fact that they are smokier. It's coming folks, the smoking areas even on cruise ships are going to be fewer.
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miamisburg Ohio
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
I feel like I am inserting myself into a private conversation between you two. Actually, banning smoking in the home isn't as outrageous an idea as you imply. Do you have any idea how smoke affects babies, either in utero or after they're toddling about your smoke-filled house or vehicle? Smaller birth weights, recurrent bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, allergies. If a well-deserved thump on a padded bum can be construed as child abuse, then so can smoke in the home. Back to cruising.....while I don't consider smoking to be a privilege, but rather a very unhealthy habit, every privilege comes with responsibilities. And I really don't care if the sun is only shining on the non-smoking side of the pool deck (a frequent excuse) smokers please stay on your own side.
It's not a private conversation. Come on in the waters fine!

As for somking equates to child abuse, no. My parents smoked. I survived. Smaller birth weights, recurrent bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, allergies, et., all can be contributed to a lot of things in addition to smoking. Now don't get me wrong. It's not a healthy thing to do. Based on the information available it's not the smart thing to do. If you don't want to, don't. As along as others are polite and don't blow it in your face there shouldn't be a problem. You stay in non smoking areas and they stay in smoking areas. Problem solved.

But the topic was and the question still is if you would book a cruise on a smoking ship? Yes, I could and that's fine. You obviously would not. Equally as good. But how does it hurt you if it is a smoking ship and you are not going to be on it?
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:52 PM
kd kd is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian and Phyllis in Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
I feel like I am inserting myself into a private conversation between you two. Actually, banning smoking in the home isn't as outrageous an idea as you imply. Do you have any idea how smoke affects babies, either in utero or after they're toddling about your smoke-filled house or vehicle? Smaller birth weights, recurrent bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, allergies. If a well-deserved thump on a padded bum can be construed as child abuse, then so can smoke in the home. Back to cruising.....while I don't consider smoking to be a privilege, but rather a very unhealthy habit, every privilege comes with responsibilities. And I really don't care if the sun is only shining on the non-smoking side of the pool deck (a frequent excuse) smokers please stay on your own side.
It's not a private conversation. Come on in the waters fine!

As for somking equates to child abuse, no. My parents smoked. I survived. Smaller birth weights, recurrent bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, allergies, et., all can be contributed to a lot of things in addition to smoking. Now don't get me wrong. It's not a healthy thing to do. Based on the information available it's not the smart thing to do. If you don't want to, don't. As along as others are polite and don't blow it in your face there shouldn't be a problem. You stay in non smoking areas and they stay in smoking areas. Problem solved.

But the topic was and the question still is if you would book a cruise on a smoking ship? Yes, I could and that's fine. You obviously would not. Equally as good. But how does it hurt you if it is a smoking ship and you are not going to be on it?
I already answered the question, and no, a smoking ship won't hurt me as I would never be on it. You and those of similar ilk are free to destroy your health, enjoy your smoke. By the way, you may stay in the smoking area but your smoke certainly is not! Nor does it disappear from draperies, carpet etc. when you leave. So no, the problem is not solved. I'm out of here, arguing against smoking is such a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miamisburg Ohio
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
Do you have an illness that smoking aggravates? If not, maybe we can let some of the folks who do tell us whether or not simply staying in the "non-smoking" section of a restarurant keeps it from aggravating their medical condition completely. I suppose they just have "oversensitive" noses too, right? It's a little like the airlines were a few years ago when they allowed smoking in the back of the plane...Problem was, of course, non-smokers had to walk through and wait in the putrid cloud to use the restroom. Smokers whined for years when all airlines became non-smoking...Once again their "rights"to make others sick had been violated.

I think you missed at least a dozen other types of people who have to go into smoking establishments...Law enforcement, custodians, food inspectors, state auditors & inspectors, maintenance folks, any number of utility workers just to name a few. Should all these folks change careers if they happen to have a condition aggravated by smoking? Also, last time I checked, bowling alleys were fairly popular places for kids parties.

Again, it's simple. It doesn't belong in any public place at all. I'm not sure where you dreamed up the notion that I'm for prohibiting it in private homes because I specifically said it shouldn't be. Although KD pointed out some things that do make sense on that very subject.
No, no illness that smoking aggravates. As for simply staying in the non smoking section you seemed to have missed an important point.

If people are allowed to smoke in a designated area, and if the possibility of inhaling second hand smoke bothers you, don’t go in that building. More buildings ban smoking altogether than those that allow it, so you do have alternatives. But in those few that do, stay out of them. As far as other folks go, that’s up to them. Let them make the choice.

As for custodians, maintenance folks and people who go in to such places, if they don’t want to they don’t have to. There are plenty of smokers in both professions who would be willing to do so. As for people working for government, well you have me there. But honestly, how often do they have to go into such places? As far as bowling allies, if your worried about your kids being exposed, here is a solution. Don’t let them go in. Notice a pattern? Protect yourself and your family. But please, stop trying to protect the rest of us. We are grown and can make our own decisions. This has been fun and I have enjoyed the debate. Should our paths cross I’ll buy you a round of your favorite beverage. Look for me in the smokers section enjoying the 2nd hand fumes from my wife’s cig’s.
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miamisburg Ohio
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd

I already answered the question, and no, a smoking ship won't hurt me as I would never be on it. You and those of similar ilk are free to destroy your health, enjoy your smoke. By the way, you may stay in the smoking area but your smoke certainly is not! Nor does it disappear from draperies, carpet etc. when you leave. So no, the problem is not solved. I'm out of here, arguing against smoking is such a no-brainer.
My “ilk?? Ouch. There is no need to be so vituperate.

As my old teacher once said, when you make the attack personal you have admitted you cannot win on facts alone and therefore have lost the debate.

Pity, I was not taking it personally.
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 561
Default

B&P

I've enjoyed the dialogue too. Nice to have a friendly debate with someone who knows it's not personal. I'm sure the answer, like most things in life, lies somewhere in the middle.

I'll take you up on the drink offer...Also, buffet lunch on the Lido deck is on me Take care.
__________________
Carnival Holiday (1999 ?)
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2007
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 2009
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miamisburg Ohio
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
B&P

I've enjoyed the dialogue too. Nice to have a friendly debate with someone who knows it's not personal. I'm sure the answer, like most things in life, lies somewhere in the middle.

I'll take you up on the drink offer...Also, buffet lunch on the Lido deck is on me Take care.
Ah, a person of good judgement and reasoning. Yes, most likely the answer lies somewhere between the extremes. The drink is on me and the lunch () is on you.

I can live with that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cabins, carnival, cigarette, conquest, cruise, hates, noordam, people, review, ship, smell, smelling, smoke, smokers, smoking

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now I am ready to book another, Destiny people.......... Katmom Carnival Cruise Lines 13 January 19th, 2009 07:38 PM
HELP ME **Grad student researching how people book cruises** justaGRAD Chit - Chat for Cruisers 0 September 29th, 2008 01:38 AM
How many people would book a non-smoking ship? JeanS All Things Cruising 50 January 12th, 2006 04:38 PM
Best site or place to book cruise for 10 people sallyj Carnival Cruise Lines 8 September 22nd, 2005 08:35 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1