Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Passenger

Default Timing of muster drill

I know that cruiselines have to carry out muster drills within a certain timescale (but am not sure what that is, exactly), however, please, please can they ensure that passengers are able to watch the moment when the ship leaves the dock without having to either rush back to cabins to get life vests or miss it entirely due to muster drill.

I really hope that this request can be accommodated, as I find the moment of sailing away to be really exciting and I want to be able to enjoy it without worrying about having to rush off.

Cunard, please take note - I shall be very disappointed if I'm not allowed this moment of pleasure on the QE2 in May 2006!!!
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Hi Diana,

I agree with you! I think that the muster drill must be done within 24 hours of sailing. Someone else may correct me on this.

On one of our cruises we were standing in a lounge waiting for people to show up (one of my pet peeves!) when we sailed. We were very disappointed that we missed sailaway . It does seem that the Safety Officer and the Captain could coordinate the muster drill and sailaway. How much difference could a few minutes make?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Passenger

Fern - lets hope that the right people read this!!

Diana
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Admiral

You must have had a really late muster drill. Usually they are around 2 hours before the ship sails.

Out of ten cruises I only found one muster drill that was not miserable. That was on the old Pacific Princess. What they did was have you bring your life jacket to the drill-then the crew person would demonstrate HOW to put on the jacket-she then went around and checked us to see if we had our jacket on correctly-if we did she let us go. The whole thing took like 5 minutes max. But that ship only had 600 passengers-which may be why it went so easy.

Another reason why I have no desire to be on a 4000 plus passenger megaship.
Old December 14th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
You must have had a really late muster drill. Usually they are around 2 hours before the ship sails.
Been on 16 cruises never had a muster drill 2 hours before leaving.

I agree it should be at a different time. I too like to see sailaway. Once we had muster drill after port day in Key West the day after we sailed from Tampa.

Don
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

We also missed our sailing on the Conquest in October due to Muster Drill timing.

Usually the drills do not start on time as scheduled. I have noticed 2 reasons for this. First of all the passengers are late arriving and hold up those passengers who are on time. Second, it appears that the crew stands around and talks to each other for 15 minutes before starting.

Also, we have been in drills that took place in lounges, etc. where only the front row of people could even see the demonstration.

Wouldn't it be nice, if these drills could take place prior to boarding. When a section of yellow chairs fills up, pass out a life jacket to each passenger, do a quick 5 minute drill (while waiting). Give them card that says "drill completed" and have them give it to a crew member who is stationed at their assigned muster station. Anyone who doesn't have a card would have to attend a mandatory on-board drill.
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg

Out of ten cruises I only found one muster drill that was not miserable. That was on the old Pacific Princess. What they did was have you bring your life jacket to the drill-then the crew person would demonstrate HOW to put on the jacket-she then went around and checked us to see if we had our jacket on correctly-if we did she let us go. The whole thing took like 5 minutes max. But that ship only had 600 passengers-which may be why it went so easy.

Another reason why I have no desire to be on a 4000 plus passenger megaship.
I have been on many cruises on many lines and never had a muster before the ship sailed, which in all truth is when they should do it after all passengers are onboard and before they move an inch. after all they can sink going out in the harbor.

I agree with not doing it as the ship sails from port though.
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

SOLAS (Safety of Life At Sea) regulations do state that a muster or lifeboat drill must be held within 24 hours of sailing.

Of all of my cruises I have not had a terrible muster drill. None are that exciting but most are just boring and usually over within 20 minutes. After that it's PARTY TIME.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 10th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Admiral

The drills are important as well as a legal requirement. I agree that they should not interfere with the 'sailaway' as so many people enjoy this. My recommendation is to do it like many CCL ships are doing it now. Muster the drill as the gangway is being pulled up and finish before the ship lets loose the final spring at the dock. People then can watch the sailaway.
Jim
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:15 AM
First Mate

The incident on the Star Princess proves the importance of the Muster drill.

One life was lost, but many were saved because of the actions of the staff & crew of the ship. Kudos to all of them.
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Have had several muster drills a couple of hours after the first sailaway, never during and never before. I agree that should never happen. Many cruisers find a relaxing drink by the rail at sailaway a tradition that can't be broken

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10