Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:34 AM
First Mate

Default Boycotting Aruba

Natalee Holloway's mother Beth and the Governor of Alabama, are asking Americans to Boycot Aruba, until justice is brought in Natalee's disappearance.

They expressed hope that the Cruise lines and Airlines will remove Aruba from their Itineraries. Such action will be costly to Aruba, forcing their law enforcement officials to change their lax policies, and bring the criminals to justice.

I agree with the Governor and the Holloway. Boycot Aruba.
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Amazing - should we also boycott the U.S. - just think about how many people have gone missing or been murdered with no one having been brought to justice. Heck, we live in a country with OJ running free. I hate to think about other countries boycotting us as well.

There's a young woman who vanished in Jamaica some time prior to Natalee's disappearance - don't see anyone calling for a Jamaica boycott. Get real. I've been to Aruba on a land-based vacation - never felt safer. Of course, I did not get drunk and leave a bar with three strangers either.
Old November 10th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I totally agree with geraf! I will not boycott Aruba or the town I live in the midwest simply because they can't find the missing or prove that anyone is guilty for a crime.

My heart does go out to Natalee's family. I can't imagine losing my daughter nor would I want to walk a day in Natalee's mother's shoes. My heart and prayers go out to her.

But to want the United States to boycott Aruba is crazy!
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Aruba is an independant Dutch nation, who are we to try to impose our system of justice on them?
Aruba is one of the safest islands in the Caribbean, very low crime rate.
I do not see any kind of boycott happening. I would not support it.
It is terrible what happened to this girl and the grief her family is dealing with, unfortunatley they need to accept the horrible truth, and try to move on.
Old November 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Admiral

I am assuming that you are making this suggestion to the cruiseline as that is what this forum is for, and not any personal crusades. Asking a cruiseline or any business to boycott a nation because of an unjustice is not going to work. They might try to bring pressure but it is solely business. You have to think of the thousands of stockholders as well.
That said I feel very badly for this young lady and her family and friends and hope with all my heart this case is solved and she is properly laid to rest and the perpetrators are punished.
Jim
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

We love Aruba. First went there on Adventure of the Seas and liked it so much, we have gone to the island 6 or 7 times since to stay for a few days. And that's what we love about cruising, finding these gems that we may want to return to later for a stay. I agree that while one might feel bad for the family, just because they have not gotten their way in some aspects of the case is no reason to punish the island or it's people. Unfortunately, crime happens everywhere and also unfortunately, sometimes, some crimes don't get solved. You can't expect a place to toss out their entire system of justice just because you don't like it or the results it gets. Imagine if someone came to this country and tried to stir up trouble and get people to boycott the U.S. because we didn't change our system to please them. People here would go crazy. Evidence is the main requirement of our system as well as that of Aruba. Without it, you can't go around locking people up and throwing away the key just because you have a hunch. Sure, some things look fishy with certain suspects but without EVIDENCE, the authorities can't do anything.

I've been told that in the ABC islands as well as other Caribbean islands, it's not uncommon for someone (and in many cases, that someone is a tourist) to get loaded and just fall off a pier, dock, piling, etc, into the water and never be seen again due to strong currents that carry things away from shore and into open water rapidly. Apparently, Aruba is known for these currents off shore. That's a possibility also. Of course, there's no evidence for that but then again, there's not much for anything else so who can say what happened. But, despite what certain holier-than-thou cable TV hosts say, you have to let the system work. We still love Aruba, and have no intention of boycotting her or her people. And everyone we have talked to feels the same so I'm hopeful that this will all be like so much smoke in the wind and just blow away with no effect.

Chip
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Boycott an entire island nation because some high school girl got drunk on a last night binge and disappeared after climbing into a car with 3 boys?????? I don't think so.

Bad things happen all the time but you just can't punish an entire population because of any one event.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:31 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bragg
I am assuming that you are making this suggestion to the cruiseline as that is what this forum is for, and not any personal crusades. Asking a cruiseline or any business to boycott a nation because of an unjustice is not going to work. They might try to bring pressure but it is solely business. You have to think of the thousands of stockholders as well.
That said I feel very badly for this young lady and her family and friends and hope with all my heart this case is solved and she is properly laid to rest and the perpetrators are punished.
Jim
When I listened to Beth Holloway & the Governor speak on Fox News, their plea sounded like a good Idea. However, when I made this post, I failed to look at the overall picture. We can't really punish an entire Island for this unfortunate act.

Still, my sympathies lie with the Holloway family, and I hope that they find peace.

Barb
Old November 18th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Captain

i feel bad for the family i would like to vist aruba some day
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Beginner

I have to agree with the initial posting. I believe this would add additional pressure on the Arubian government, if it hurt their pocket books. I realize as well, this would effect innocent people, they should also add take a stand. However, why would we want to support a corrupted government in the first place. I try to put my self in Beth shoes and have been watching Fox new religously falling this case. If it was my daughter and had this happened to her, I would as well be sooo frustrated, to say the least. I know this happens everyday all over the world. So we sit back and do nothing . I say be proactive and support Beth in demanding an answer. I hope I never find myself in her shoes. The Arubian government should have never put Beth in the position in the first place. What they are doing is crime to their own country.
Old November 19th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Admiral

You may do as you wish and feel as you wish but you certainly cannot believe that a multi-million dollar buisness is going to harm their own business and impose a ban on others that want to go to this or any other place? If they refuse to go there then they are denying the legal rights of those that do wish to. In addition they have to answer to the stockholders of this public company cancerning there loss of revenue. Not going to ever happen.
Jim
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sorry Barb

I was on Aruba for 9/11. The Arubans are some of the nicest people in the world.

Hotel rates were cut in half, or free for a period of time. Locals took tourists into their homes, provided food and services. And the government provided free telephone service and internet for the tourist.

Gotta say no to your protest.

However, and no offense....but maybe Natalee, as smart as she was supposed to be wouldn't have been drinking under age, or going off with strangers. I do expect to see her in one of the GIRLS GONE WILD vidoes in the near future. Things aren't always what they seem.

I believe it was an unfortunate accident. Stop blaming everyone and let Natalee have some responsibilit.

Dave
Old December 12th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccets
I have to dagree with the initial posting. I believe this would add additional pressure on the Arubian government, if it hurt their pocket books. I realize as well, this would effect innocent people, they should also add take a stand. However, why would we want to support a corrupted government in the first place. I try to put my self in Beth shoes and have been watching Fox new religously falling this case. If it was my daughter and had this happened to her, I would as well be sooo frustrated, to say the least. I know this happens everyday all over the world. So we sit back and do nothing . I say be proactive and support Beth in demanding an answer. I hope I never find myself in her shoes. The Arubian government should have never put Beth in the position in the first place. What they are doing is crime to their own country.
I'm sorry, but I have to totally disagree with this posting. We here in the United States have THOUSANDS of missing persons every year. Are you going to advocate boycotting your own state or city because someone went missing? If you apply the standard you apply to Aruba to your own city/county/state, then you would have to boycott your own local government! I really feel for Natalee's parents, but they LET her go to a foreign country with minimal supervision and supposed friends. The chaperones and friends let Natalee down, and she did not help herself with her own behavior. Street smarts and book smarts are not the same by any means. If something terrible happened to Natalee, I hope the perpetrators are brought to justice......in their own judicial system.

One of my pet peeves is that when Americans travel abroad, they think that our legal system applies anywhere in the world. That is so not true! We have to abide by the laws and the legal systems of the countries we are visiting, like it or not! And that applies to Beth Holloway Twitty. Don't like it, you should have never let your daughter travel to a foreign country without your supervision. Sorry, that is jmho.
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Passenger

Boycotting Aruba is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I'm embarassed that one of our Governors even suggested it.

Carol 8)

Old January 17th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Admiral

I agree w/the last few posts. So the people of Aruba are supposed to be punished because a young girl got drunk with some dudes and wandered off??

Don't get me wrong, it is a terrible, terrible tragedy and I feel very sorry for her family. But to punish those who depend on the tourist industry when they have nothing to do with this situation is overkill.

And also as previously mentioned, have you looked at the injustice done here in there US??? How about the scumdog who molested a young girl for years and was given 2 months in prison by one of our OWN US judges???

There is shame worldwide..........even in our own backyard...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Passenger

BOYCOTT ARUBA!!!! ARE YOU NUTS. HOW ABOUT THE 6TH TIME HOBITUAL OFFENDER WHO GOT DRUNK AND DROVE HIS CAR INTO MY UNCLE KILLING HIS 8 YEAR OLD SON! THE DRUNK GOT 5 WHOLE YEARS AND WE WANT TO BOYCOTT A NATION FOR 1 TEENAGE GIRL MISSING BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT MOVING FAST ENOUGH. DROP IT AND TRY TO SOLVE SOME PROBLEMS HERE.....RIGHT IN YOUR OWN BACK YARD.
Old April 26th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

First of all - Aruba is mostly timeshare. Good luck trying to tell timeshare owners not to go back. People pay $10,000 & up for timeshares & I'm quite sure they are going to ignore you.

Secondly, what idiot goes off with 3 men that you don't know at 1am when you are getting on a plane in the morning?

Third - why didn't her friends stop her? Hence, not very intelligent people here.

Forth - Why are you complaining about Aruba? How many people go missing or are murdered in the United States on a daily basis? Should we boycott every city in America?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Boycotting Aruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb Nahoumi
Natalee Holloway's mother Beth and the Governor of Alabama, are asking Americans to Boycot Aruba, until justice is brought in Natalee's disappearance.

They expressed hope that the Cruise lines and Airlines will remove Aruba from their Itineraries. Such action will be costly to Aruba, forcing their law enforcement officials to change their lax policies, and bring the criminals to justice.

I agree with the Governor and the Holloway. Boycot Aruba.
You know I have alot fo empathy for them but what about all the young people that go missing every day in every major US city-maybe we need to boycott them also.

I feel for the family but my feeling is to every young woman or young man- should never go off with people they barely know-never accept a drink from a stranger, they should stay with their friends. I just wish Natalie had done this.
Old September 17th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Admiral

The fact that no one has been charged is probably a sign that justice IS working. I would hope that the local officials in Aruba would not bring charges without sufficient evidence to convict the proper person.

Two wrongs never made a right.

Too often innocent people are put behind bars without proper proof.
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Holy smoke, Batman!

How did this thread get resurrected??? Biff!

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanS
I agree w/the last few posts. So the people of Aruba are supposed to be punished because a young girl got drunk with some dudes and wandered off??

Don't get me wrong, it is a terrible, terrible tragedy and I feel very sorry for her family. But to punish those who depend on the tourist industry when they have nothing to do with this situation is overkill.

And also as previously mentioned, have you looked at the injustice done here in there US??? How about the scumdog who molested a young girl for years and was given 2 months in prison by one of our OWN US judges???

There is shame worldwide..........even in our own backyard...
Well said...