Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Are you on a Holiday Cruise?

This message board is actually here at the request of a Wall Street Journal reporter who wants to talk to people about how or why they are choosing to cruise over the holidays in 2005. If you want to discuss YOUR plans then please post here and she might contact you.
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Hello Paul and "reporter",

We chose our cruise more for the length (11 days), and the time, rather than the fact that it was a "holiday" cruise. After many years together my DH and I don't really celebrate any holidays! While we will enjoy seeing all of Christmas decorations, it's really not that important to us.

Since all of our parents are gone, and we have no children together, we pick our cruises by length and itinerary, and it seems that most of the longer cruises are over the holidays.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 19th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Passenger

We just booked our holiday cruise this past week. We'll be on HAL's Maasdam leaving Norfolk on December 17 for 10 nights. We went on Celebrity's Century last year for Christmas and New Year. That was a 9-night cruise from Christmas Eve to January 2.

My partner teaches at a community college, so we have to plan our cruises around his breaks. I can usually get approval from my boss to take my vacation whenever I want.

I don't start looking seriously at options until the last minute--six to eight weeks before. This year we were even later in that my partner wasn't certain whether he'd have to work on December 19. It turns out he doesn't, which makes us able to go earlier than we had anticipated. The good thing is we're not picky about the ship or the ports and thus can take advantage of bargains.
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We are cruising For both holidays this year. We start out on the Conquest and end up on the Elation. This is only our second cruise, so we are very excited.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:03 PM
Passenger

Default New Year's Cruise on HAL Oosterdam

Last year I went on a New Year's cruise and loved it! Why stay and home and watch Bridget Jones Diary when you can cruise the seas and meet nice people in exotic locations?
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:06 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to txgirl1210 Send a message via Yahoo to txgirl1210
Default Re: New Year's Cruise on HAL Oosterdam

Hi, This is our first cruise to go over the holidays. We booked the Celebrity Galaxy out of Galveston, Tx for a 12 night Panama Canal cruise leaving December 17, 2005. We are very excited and we are already packing!

-Kimberly
CCL Elation
CCL Elation
CCL Ecstasy
RCI Grandeur of the seas
CCL Elation
RCI Jewel of the seas
RCL Rhapsody of the seas
CCL Elation
Celebrity Galaxy panama cruise
Carnival Conquest
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Ecstasy

Next up:
Carnival Spirit may 25, 2010!

Old November 27th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Beginner

Well, we're cruising over the holidays because DH and I both attend night school (MBA) while working full-time, and it's the only time we have vacation from school AND can swing enough time off from work. It's sort of a pre-graduation present for me, since I'll be done in the Spring. DH will be done in the Fall--and he'll pick his own vacation! That'll probably be a HUGE car trip--he loves to drive, and I read the maps!

Anyway, our first cruise was a 10-day Hawaiian on Celebrity, so there's nowhere to go but up from there. So, this is an 11-day Caribbean on NCL. Can't wait!
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Passenger

Hi,
I bet there are as many reasons for cruising at the holidays as there are people doing it, but I might as well add my proverbial "2 cents"...
I am taking my second annual New Year's cruise, departing Dec. 27 on the MSC Lirica from Ft Lauderdale. I booked last spring - couldn't wait to be at sea again after my cruise last year. I had always wanted to take a cruise, and suddenly decided that waiting around for the "right time" or the "right someone" to go with me was a waste, so off I went. I'm cruising again, and still single. Last time I found a roommate - actually here on this board - and it went ok, but this time I decided to just book single. Even though the price of the cruise is a little higher at the holidays, I end up losing fewer billable hours (I'm a self-employed consultant), so in the end the total cost of the trip is less for me. And, I want to be doing something fun and adventurous at New Year's, and be in the sun not freezing in the snow.

Christmas is about family, and I wouldn't miss that, so I fly out just after on the morning of Dec 26, so the sailing date is the first search factor in my choice of cruise. MSC offers the most reasonable single supplements, so that was a big factor in this choice as well. Also, I heard that MSC offered a different cruise, a little less "americanized" for lack of a better term, and I wanted to give it a try. So, off I go on the MSC Lirica to the Caribbean for 11 nights of R & R. I'll welcome 2006 somewhere near the Panama Canal somewhere at sea. I'm looking forward to it. See you around the seven seas.....

ciao,
Tammie

New Year's 2007 MSC Lirica
New Year's 2006 MSC Lirica
New Year's 2005 Carnival Spirit
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Beginner

Default First Time Holiday Cruise

We booked the Dec 24th holiday cruise on the Celebrity Constellation this year. Why? Because my birthday falls on the 28th of December smack between two major holidays and I have never been anywhere above 50 degrees on my special day. Since this is a milestone year for me we (husband and I) decided to go the extra expense (normally we cruise or vacation two weeks earlier for half the expense and I'm guessing half the pint size - as in school age - guests :-)

I have always found December vacations in tropical places or ports quite special and festive. Frankly it will be a joy to awake on Christmas day at sea followed by a morning dip in the pool...too often we are shoveling snow and bundled in layers :-) As for my birthday....bon bini Aruba!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:17 PM
Beginner

Default New Years

This is our first holiday cruise and my husband and I are soooo looking forward to going on the Golden Princess. The reason we decided to go is because for the last 18 years we've stayed home, hosted New Years parties for neighbors or have gone to neighbors (all within walking distance). We have a great neighborhood but we wanted to do something different--I know what their homes look like! We also want to meet other people who enjoy bringing in the New Years with a bang without having to drive there!
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Yeoman

My family did a holiday cruise back when I was in college (Panama Canal). At that point, it wasn't a big deal to celebrate before sailing (open presents). We started cruising again four years ago when my son was almost one. My dad and brother would come along too (my mother passed away) as this was time for us to all be together. Normally we sail over New Years so we can celebrate Christmas at home.

This year, for a change of scenery we are doing the Panama Canal. My husband, son, and 5 months old daughter have never seen it. It just so happens that the trip falls over Christmas and New Years (my birthday). I'm a bit sad that we won't celebrate Christmas at home, especially since it will be our daughter's first. On our other cruises, we would celebrate at home, or earlier if we had to travel on Christmas (like last year).

I still decorated the house, and am trying to squeeze some presents, the kids' stockings, my ipod (loaded with Christmas tunes) with speakers, and some decorations into our luggage to make things a bit more festive in the cabin. I know there will be decorations and celebrations on board, but the cabin needs some help! I grew up in Chicago and live in SC now, so I'm used to a green Christmas (but still miss the white stuff). I would much rather spend a green Christmas in the tropics sailing on the seas if I had to be anywhere other than home!

Alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Passenger

This is our second holiday cruise, last year on the Miracle, this year on the Liberty. Two years ago, my in-laws passed away from different causes 8 hours apart, and we thought last year we would take a cruise over the Xmas and New Years holiday to "escape". We had a great time and decided to make it an annual event until the kids are "too old". Looking forward to the holidays on the high seas!
Old December 6th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Zacksmom

I chose this cruise because of the timing. I have an eleven year old son that has his Christmas school break during this time. Also, the company where I work will be shutting down for the two weeks around Christmas. My travelling partner (ex-MIL) works for a school, so she will be off for the holiday as well...it's all about timing!

This will also be a great Christmas surprise for my son. I won't tell him we're going on the cruise until we get to the port in Houston! We will be on the NCL Sun for 11 days (12/18/05). It will be hard to be away from most of my family for the Holidays, but it's a once in a lifetime chance for us!
Old December 6th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Passenger

We are taking our holiday cruise because of timing. We got married on Oct. 1, but my husband was in school and it was difficult for us to go on a honeymoon. We went to a nearby beach for 3 days for our "mini-moon", but we're leaving Dec. 28 for our all-out honeymoon. He graduates in 1 week, so we're trying to travel before he starts working.

The week between Christmas and New Year's is also typically slow for me at my job (printing company), so it makes it easier for me to get away as well.
Old December 10th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Corinne

I'm taking a cruise over the holidays because in October 2003 my precious beautiful 13 year old daughter was struck by a car on her way to school one morning and was killed. I didnt celebrate Christmas that year and last year was very difficult. So my 17 year old daughter and I decided to go away for the holidays. We leave Christmas morning and are at sea thru New Years Eve. We both know it will be sad but at least we're not home looking at her empty stocking hanging over the fireplace and not see any presents for her under the tree.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
Passenger

Default Thanksgiving

WE will be on the HAL Westerdam for Thanksgiving! We are looking forward to a Carribean Holiday! 8)

HAL Oosterdam
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Default Holiday Cruise

My wife and I will be cruising over Christmas and New Years. We will be sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Celebrity Mercury and sailing to the Caribbean and Panama Canal. Costa Rica, Aruba and Mexico are some of the ports on this 16day adventure. We normally are home with the kids and extended family for the holidays, but decided the heck with it. They are all grown and why not. My wife is a professor and I am also on campus as an administrator, so the timing fits.
Old October 28th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Christmas Cruise on the Holiday

We will be cruising on the Holiday (pretty appropriate, isn't it ? ! We leave Mobile Dec. 23rd and will be in Costa Maya on Christmas Day. We have sailed on the Holiday before - great ship for her age and a fabulous crew. We are sooooooo looking forward to this. Can't wait to see all of the holiday decor and have ordered Christmas door hangers for our cabins. We are going along with DH's son who will be on break from college. Hope to have a great time and same to all who will be on the high seas for the upcoming holiday season.

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5/98
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1/02
CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old June 11th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Beginner

We will be need for what to pack for my cruise because of we have absolutely no idea in wish to pack and we need it to include necessities for a holiday.