Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Yeoman

Default Good oldfashioned simple foods

Call me simple, I'd love to see a big fat piece of apple pie or NORMAL chocolate cake on a vacation. The fancy deserts are wonderful but sometimes you just want to curl up with carrot cake and milk.

The cruise lines are fantastic at offering a wide variety of foods on the dinner menu too but where's the mashed potatoes & corn?

Maybe that's an idea for a theme cruise? "Country Cookin' all the way to Aruba!"

I understand that the cruise lines were built for elegance and service, but they can serve mashed potatoes pretty can't they?
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Hi HappyCruiser383,

I'll call you "simple"!

And I'll agree with you! Maybe just one night of a "down home" meal?

Plain mashed potatoes, corn, chicken & dumplings, chicken fried steak, cooked green beans, mac & cheese, carrot cake, apple pie (yum ) ,etc.

Comfort foods

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Familiar Face

Default homestyle food

I didn't see your post before and I just posted above the same subject.

I would love to have hot roast beef and mashed potatoes with gravy on a cruise, baked macroni, country fried steak, breaded fired chicken. I guess you would call comfort food.

There are times when we are done eating at the dining room I go up to the buffet and eat some pizza because of the selections in the dining room.
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Yeoman

Now I'm getting hungry! Chicken fried steak . . yum!

I think the cruise line could save a bunch of money if they kept the fancy dishes in the alternative dinning rooms and kept the regular foods in the main dinning rooms.

Let's face it, most people are taking a cruise because of the fun and visits to multiple places. . . not because of the fancy foods. Carnival could easily get away with it because of their "fun ship" attitude. Celebrity should probably stay fancy and Royal Caribbean could probably split it.

What do you think?
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Admiral

i have to totally disagree with you! One of the highlights of my cruises are adventures in dining.I look forward to trying something new, different andy maybe a bit on the exotic side. The great thing about cruising is that if you don't like your entree you can always order something else and most cruise lines offer plain chicken pasta, fish or beef dishes as alternatives every night. My teen age son even loved trying new and different foods!
I can get plain fare-comfort foods, anytime at home. Its not too often that i get Duck ala Orange or Grilled Grouper.
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Yeoman

You do have a good point. I guess we look at this differently. I'm really ok with it either way as I do like to try new foods it's just that I can't find my mashies anywhere!
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Passenger

My hubby and I feel that way about desserts. By the 3rd night, we feel like, "OK, how about just a really great chocolate chip cookie or apple pie." But I do generally like the gourmet cuisine.
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Good oldfashioned simple foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCruiser383
...apple pie...chocolate cake...mashed potatoes & corn
Hmm, I've seen all of these are cruises before. My children have a "simple palette" and prefer this type of food. It isn't offered every night, but I've seen it on a number of cruises.
Old January 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Admiral

I agree with LisaK, too! I love trying things I'd never try at home. Who knew I would like escargot ? I also get to eat fish, which my DH won't touch.

I just think Country Cookin' would be nice for one night. Maybe even served family style with bowls and platters on the table? And plain yeast rolls?

I like green beans, but I guess because I'm from the South, "crunchy" half-done green beans-ick ! I want mine cooked.

The closest thing I've seen to mashed potatoes on our cruises are twice baked potatoes and they always have something "fancy" added to them.

I think there's room for both kinds of foods!

Sea Princess 2014
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would much prefer well-prepared, simple food to the gourmet fare that they serve now. I would just once like to be handed a menu on a cruiseship that reads like one from TGIFriday's, Applebee's or Sizzlers. Just simple, everyday foods without the fancy sauces and the fancy names. And it has always frustrated me to no end that I cannot seem to get a good steak or a good chocolate dessert on a cruise.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
i have to totally disagree with you! One of the highlights of my cruises are adventures in dining.I look forward to trying something new, different andy maybe a bit on the exotic side. The great thing about cruising is that if you don't like your entree you can always order something else and most cruise lines offer plain chicken pasta, fish or beef dishes as alternatives every night. My teen age son even loved trying new and different foods!
I can get plain fare-comfort foods, anytime at home. Its not too often that i get Duck ala Orange or Grilled Grouper.
Lisa,

I too also enjoy different foods that I don't normally eat at home. But I am also reminded of a trip I once took to the Holyland, Israel. We were there for 14 days. One of the first things I did when our plane landed in NYC was kiss the ground, because you don't know how great and FREE the United States is until you spend 2 week in a country where they fight daily. The second thing I did was find an american hamburger.

I beleive what is being asked by the above posters is not to completely do away with all exotic food, but just once on the cruise offer a down-home meal as a choice. We almost always have a beef, pasta and vegaterian meal each evening, so why not offer a down home southern meals also, at least once during the seven night cruise. I realize some in the north they can't understand why we, southeners eat like we do. I know because I am from the north origionally. But once I experienced southener food for myself I now ask how did I eat what I did for the 33 years I lived in the north. So offering a southern down home meal would be exotic to some.

I enjoy many exotic foods that I only get on a cruise ship or fancy resturtant but I also enjoy green beans cooked with a ham hock, some chicken fired steak with some sawmill white gravy. And lets not start talking about tea, in the south we can't get it sweet enough. And I don't care how much sugar or sweetner you put in it at the table it still isn't southern sweet tea.

Hope you understand I am not flaming you I am just pointing out the criuse line COULD if they wanted to apeal to a different audience when it comes to food.

Don
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:54 AM
First Mate

Well, because this Cruise Line Suggestion forum is ideally something that the powers-that-be may actually read and may act upon, I have to speak up. I would very much like to keep the cuisine exactly the way it is. If they are looking to alter the dining experience in any way, I guess improving what is already pretty great is fine with me.

And, I'm sorry but, PLEASE no Applebees or TGIF fare. Really. I don't even like those restaurants that much on land!!

Personally, I look forward to dressing up for escargot and chilled pumpkin soup, but not so much for chicken fried anything If it were in the buffet however, it really would be a yummy difference. But please, NOT in the dining room!

Waters
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I think real mashed potatoes would be near impossible on a cruise. Imagine peeling enough potatoes for 3000 people!!! I for one do not like "fake" mashed potatoes. I think I can leave the mashed potatoes home for the length of my vacation and enjoy trying new things. For me part of my enjoyment is trying new things.

Laura
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Sounds to me like you need to book a cruise on HAL. We recently cruised the Oosterdam, and they offered "comfort food". I couldn't believe it, but they had meat loaf, pot roast, and other items like that. I personally didn't go for it, but others must, or they wouldn't offer it. I too look forward to food on my cruises that I wouldn't normally order at home. If I wanted "comfort food" I'd zip off to Cracker Barrell!
Ken
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I would have no problem with this as a selection on the menu and if it was made well and from scratch. Comfort foods are great and if made well and not pre-made offerings then they have my vote as a PART of a cruise menu and dessert choice.

If it became a standard and the menus were a standard TGI Fridays or Applebee's type menu I would probably discontinue cruising. I do not want to cruise and be offered cuisine that I can find at most chain restaurants.

Then again if the quality of many cruise lines dining doesn't improve (RCI) for one, I may opt out, altogether from cruising with them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:02 PM
First Mate

I keep hearing about chicken fried steak. What is it? Is it prepared like fried chicken?

I'd love to see applecrisp served on cruise ships. Yummy Yummy.
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Hi Barb,

Obviously you don't live in any of the southern states!

Chicken fried steak is prepared similarly to fried chicken. I'm sure everyone does it differently, but here's what I do.

Use either tenderized round steak or regular round steak (tenderize it by beating the heck out of it with a tenderizing mallet or the edge of a plate).

Dredge it in beaten eggs, then in flour mixed with about a teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Then fry it in a frying pan in a small amount of oil (used to use Crisco, but... ) until brown.

Make gravy with the pan juices, flour (I use Wondra) dissolved in about 1/2 cup cold water, and serve with mashed potatoes. YUM!

Who does it differently???

Sea Princess 2014
Old February 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb Nahoumi

I'd love to see applecrisp served on cruise ships. Yummy Yummy.
Applecrisp or good Apple Brown Betty would be enough for me to book a cruise.

By the way does anyone know the receipt for Apple Brown Betty. My grandmother always made it and I really loved it. I remember it containing apples, raisins, coconut flakes, bread and served with a vanilla sauce but don't remember anymore about it. I haven't found it, or anyone who knew what it was or how it was made since she died. BuT I SURE LOVED IT.

Don
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM
First Mate

i was born in athens, ga, and raised in atlanta. i grew up on hot dogs from the famous VARSITY. what it wouldn't give to sail the high seas with four all-the-way dogs, real onion rings, a big orange, and a fried peach pie. hombre
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Admiral

I accidentally discovered that Carniva's room service menu has a dessert of the day that is much more home style than usual. Had a fabulous piece of apple pie one time. Worth ordering every day just to see what they bring!
Marty the pie junkie
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Admiral

This thread is making me hungry!
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Beginner

Good idea as far as my DH is concerned; however, considering just how many different nationalities might be on board, perhaps the down home U.S.A. food wouldn't be as appealing to enough people to make it worth while.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Does anyone have a recipe for an OLD! fashion banana pudding like my grandmother(mawmaw)made for us..it had bits of pineapple in it also,and it was VERY GOOD!!!
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM
First Mate

Default Good old fashioned foods

OK, enough is enough. I have just finished dinner and you people are making me hungry again.

Being from Texas I do love a good chicked fried steak with cream gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans (cooked well), apple pie for dessert and ALL the above mentioned foods from southern style to "fancy".

I do like to try different foods: although, I still haven't been drunk enough to try oyster on the half shell. My Brother and his son can eat their weight in them.

Happy Cruising
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:51 PM
First Mate

Default Good old fashioned foods

Will, my DW does have her Grandmothers receipt for Old Fashioned Banana Pudding, but it doesn't contain pineapple, sorry. Maybe one of the other posters might have it ???????
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Admiral

crabbie1 said:

Quote:
green beans (cooked well)
Amen! I hate "crunchy" green beans! The rest of your "menu" sounds wonderful!

I've never heard of banana pudding with pineapple, either . It must have been "mawmaw's" own recipe!

I am SO hungry now!

Sea Princess 2014
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Captain

i personal enjoy trying different foods when i cruise i don't cook fancy
when i'm home so i eat the fancy stuff when i travel
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Passenger

As far as I'm concerned, one of the best parts of a cruise is getting to enjoy the "fancy" dining...both the food and the atmosphere. It's one of the aspects of cruising I look forward to the most. That said, my husband and children are much less adventurous when it comes to their food. On some cruise lines, it can actually be stressful for them to choose their meals...trying to find a choice they will enjoy without all the sauces and (as my husband puts it) "exotic" extras.

I think it would be great if the cruise lines would offer a "simple" entree along with the rest of their menu.

On our last Princess cruise, there was a section on the left side of the menu with a list of "always available" choices, like: shrimp cocktail, fruit plate appetizer, green salad, grilled steak, New York-style cheesecake. The picky eaters in our family really appreciated this offer!
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Passenger

! There is a huge thread on another message board where everyone is complaining madly that Grandeur (RCCI) had fried chicken and corn on the cob on formal night. People are pretty incensed that this was one of the choices on a night when they were wearing their best clothes.

I did find lots of "regular" foods on Mariner of the Seas. I only eat very plain food, and every night I had good choices of a steak, or chicken, or even some simply prepared fish. These weren't the featured menus, but they were always available. And if I was craving a juicy hamburger, fries and onion rings, I was willing to fork over the $3.95 to go to Johnny Rockets. In spite of what people say, their burgers were fresher and better than the ones in Windjammer. For cakes and cookies, there was the Promenade cafe where items were available 24x7. Maybe other ships don't serve the same kinds of foods, but I was certainly satisfied!

I agree with the previous posters in that I do want a different experience on the cruise ships. We eat at TGI Fridays or Ruby Tuesday's at home --- I want to see something different when I'm on a ship.

But of course, this is just my opinion!!!