Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM
First Mate

Default Super-Sized Mega Ships

I recently read that Royal Caribbean is planning to build a 220,000 ton Mega Ship, capable of carrying about 5,400 guests.

My question is WHY?

Where would this monster be able to dock? Do many ports have the space to accomodate it. If guests need to be tendered, this process will take for ever.

Dining rooms would become messhalls, such as found on aircraft carriers.

The ship might need to employ a security force, the size of a small town's police force.

I feel that larger is not always better. Keep ship size down to a manageable comfort size.
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Barb:

I have to start off by saying that I don't like large ships. I'll take a 70,000 GRT or less any day. I also have no plans to sail a mega-ship.

Having said that RCI has designed the ship so the draft (how deep it is in the water) is such that it will be able to dock in most ports.

It will have multiple dining rooms in order for guests to be served in a normal fashion as they are today.

I don't know what they will do about security but I agree that with that many people on board it will be like handling a small town of party cruisers.

I personally feel that they will fill the thing up. Many of the same things were said about the Voyager class ships and they are some of the most popular ships in the cruising fleet. I personally don't like the size but I do like a few of the amenities. The ice rink is a nice feature but I won't sail it again for just that feature. They will build it and if the cruising public speak with their wallets you will see more of the same. I hope they don't and spend more money on smaller ships but the economy of scale may win out. I hope it doesn't.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Admiral

"if you build it they will come" pretty much sums it up.
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Captain

I'm with Mike on this one. I enjoyed a lot of things about the Adventure of the Seas but I prefer the smaller ships. You really realize how many folks are on the ship when you are tendering in to a port or in the final group called to disembark. It takes foooorever. Cruise ships are not diamonds - bigger is not better!
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
I'm with Mike on this one. I enjoyed a lot of things about the Adventure of the Seas but I prefer the smaller ships. You really realize how many folks are on the ship when you are tendering in to a port or in the final group called to disembark. It takes foooorever. Cruise ships are not diamonds - bigger is not better!
Well I HAD to try a voyager class ship-I felt I was missing something-but after my Mariner of the Seas cruise last Oct. I learned the only thing I missed on the smaller ships was bad food and crowds. I absolutely have no desire to go surfing on a cruiseship either so no freedom of the Seas is in my future.

Last week I got of the Celebreity Zenith. That cruise cost HALF what the MOS cruise did and the food was tons better-no crowds and the shows and entertainment were first rate. This taught me a thing or two-just because you pay more for something does not mean it will be better.

So I agree with you and Mike.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Passenger

I actually prefer the larger ships. Voyager-class is far and away my favorite. More amenities, more choices, and because of the larger customer/cash basis, I think the entertainment is better. I have not found them to be any more crowded than smaller ships, in fact, they feel less so to me as they seem to have a lot of intimate space. I've sailed on sizes ranging from Nordic Empress (Empress of the Seas) to Voyager-class, and I prefer the latter.

Currently, I believe the Voyager-class is one of the best selling cruise vacations out there. Based on the prices, the demand must be high. I can't wait to try the Freedom-class, and am looking forward to the new 220,000 ton ships (Genesis class?).

If you look at the industry trend, it is for larger ships so it seems the cruising public may prefer this.
Old February 24th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by browezilla
I actually prefer the larger ships. Voyager-class is far and away my favorite. More amenities, more choices, and because of the larger customer/cash basis, I think the entertainment is better. I have not found them to be any more crowded than smaller ships, in fact, they feel less so to me as they seem to have a lot of intimate space. I've sailed on sizes ranging from Nordic Empress (Empress of the Seas) to Voyager-class, and I prefer the latter.

Currently, I believe the Voyager-class is one of the best selling cruise vacations out there. Based on the prices, the demand must be high. I can't wait to try the Freedom-class, and am looking forward to the new 220,000 ton ships (Genesis class?).

If you look at the industry trend, it is for larger ships so it seems the cruising public may prefer this.
Unfortunately I do realize I am in the minority-so I guess when these smaller ships are retired I will no longer cruise unless I go on a more upscale line.

My MOS cruise was a full ship-3600 PAX so I guess many of the staterooms had more then 2 people-we also had three sea days and the seas was rough for the most part so things like the rock climbing wall and inline skating were closed-which meant everyone was by the pools and unfortunately all 3 pools were super crowded.

The food was medicore at beast in the main dinningroom although the windjammer had decent food-not great-but then I don't expect great out of a buffet. I did enjoy Chops but it was pretty heavily booked and we were only able to eat there the last night of the cruise. We also foolishly waited until a sea day to do Johnny Rockets, BIG mistake-we waited around 45 minutes just to get in there. The windjammer was also super crowded on the sea days and you would not BELIEVE the ice cream line out by the pool area. Impossible.

But at the same rate I will also not ever cruise a Carnival conquest class ship and I have also read the the Princess Grand class ships are pretty miserabler also. I just hate crowds. so you won't catch me on any of the mega ships.

So I will leave those mega ships to you guys who love them-I realize that I am in the minority.
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Hold the phone, there is little danger, in my opinion, that the smaller (under 70,000 ton) ships will disappear. The Mega ships are for a particular market. It is by no means the only market in cruising. They appeal to those who want short cruises in the Caribbean and who really aren't interested in a true cruise experience. They are the best way to move hordes of people in a short time.

There will still be plenty of ships built in the Panamax size (large enough for lots of amenities, but small enough to go through the canal) and smaller. That is so because there are lots of folks who want longer cruises to more exotic ports. The more people who get their feet wet on a mega-ship, the more there will be who develop a love for the sea and who will graduate to real cruising. As for me, I'll never go near a mega-ship unless it's for some family short term cruise. Or unless it is the QMII, which I do want to try.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Admiral

I agree with you LisaK.We will probably complain about simple inconviences(long lines),but my family and I will be on these Mega Ships Lido Decks enjoying ourselves.Just one simple man's opinion.
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Captain

Oh, I don't mind it that a cruise line is going to build a 220,000 Gross Ton ship --- although I'll never be on it! Clearly, RCCL has done its research, and know (or at least thinks) there is a market for such.

What I do mind is the fact that ALL lines are ignoring the popularity of ships under 50,000 GT ---- and I mean WAY under this size. Way down to 15,000 GT and 200 to 300 guests. There haven't been any ships built like this in a number of years.

Thanks,
Richard
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Passenger

I don't think they are ignoring the smaller sized ships. I think they have done their market research and are responding to demand. The demand-cost curve I think strongly favors the Megaships. With the amount of money that it costs to deploy a ship, I feel sure they are targeting the most lucrative markets.
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Browseilla, of course mega ships are being built, for the mass Caribbean market for the short cruise. But much smaller ships are being built too, still large but much smaller. Examples the wonderful new Holland America Noordam at 82,000 tons, the Coral and Island Princess, at 92K each. -- all Panamax in size all capable of longer cruises and getting into ports around the world that the Mega ships can't, either because of harbor depth or inability to handle 3,000 people at a time. I submit that real ships (as opposed to floating resorts) will be around for a long time to come. this is good news for anyone who wants to cruise South America, the Greek Isles, New Zealand, the Far East, the South Pacific, or anywhere in the world that is even slightly off the beaten path. Because the Market will never support Mega ships in those places. those cruises take more time, more money and appeal to an entirely different demographic. Long story short: There will be ships for everyone!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Although any cruise is a good cruise, I prefer the mega ships over the smaller ones. I sometimes get a little bored on the smaller ships because their isn't enough entertainment options to always find something that interests me. I also like the enhanced dining options available on the larger ships (especially Princess' Anytime Dining which isn't available on some of their smaller ships).

I have never noticed the larger ships seeming more crowded because, although they do carry more people, they also have more space to put these people, more dining rooms to feed these people, more tender boats to off-load these people...

I look forward to a 220,000 ton ships and would definitely be interested in booking. I have not had the opportunity to try RCCL's Voyager class ships yet because they sail mostly from the East Coast and I live on the West Coast (and I don't like to fly), but when the 220,000 tonner is put into service, I might even be willing to hop on a plane.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
... 82,000 tons, the Coral and Island Princess, at 92K each. -- all Panamax in size all
Ok, "mega" is a relative term :-) By small, I was thinking much smaller than that, e.g. 40K and less (e.g. Windstart)
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Admiral

On that "other" messageboard there is a great article about this. It gave me some great info-I still am not interested but this article said the cruiselines will still have the smaller ships as only a few ports can handle the mega ships-St Thomas, St. Marten, Grand Cayman and a few others.

So I am happy-there will still be small and mid sized ships on the mainstream lines- and we will not have to go upscale to go small.

so those that want the mega ships can have themand those that wan tsmaller can have their preferance also.