Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to he88062
Default Disembarkation SAFETY Please!

Please, please have crew patroling the hallways and stairwells leading out to the gangway for overcrowding and congestion problems caused by passengers who DO NOT heed instructions or safety requirements. Specificly, keep ALL passengers with incorrect color coded tags away and off the hallways and stairways completely clear for ONLY those who have been called. Send a crew member around to check for colors that have been cleared and called and note those who disobey. In addition to the customs clearance station ALSO have a color code clearance station for those to pass when they are called. I have been reading here, time and time again, and most lines have allowed this saftey hazzard to exist, and eventually a disaster is enevitable. Please, please enforce the color code disembarkation process and keep the hallways and stairways cleared of unneccessary passengers.
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think it would help this situation A LOT if the cruise lines would allow guests to stay in their cabins, and only in the restaurants, through the disembarkation process.

It's the pushing them out, and telling them to remain in "public areas" that creates part of the problem.

Then, have someone at the elevators and stairs actually checking their "colored luggage tags".
Old March 19th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to he88062

Sounds so simple and makes a hell-of-alot of sense Kuki, now if we can only get them to read our suggestions and then put them in place. Lets hope soon. Im headed out on Mar 26th on my first Celebrity Cruise to Bahamas...will be looking VERY closely at how they handle the disembarkation and will let EVERYONE know!
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Being able to stay in your stateroom until a specific time, or when your color is called seems like a reasonable solution. Don't some lines do this?
I could see that is might be an issue on the Mega ships - in that case the cruise lines could run disembarkation like they do the Muster Drills you have an assigned place and time.
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Yes, it's part of Freestyle on NCL. You can go to the buffet for breakfast then go back to your cabin until your color is called. It's one of the BEST things about Freestyle!

I think LisaK's idea of an assigned place and time would be great for the lines that want you out of your cabin ASAP. It seems that everyone wants to wait in the same areas (usually near the customs area) and everything gets all backed up.

As an aside, whatever happened to "respect your elders"? On our last Princess cruise I ended up sitting on the floor while children and teenagers took up all the chairs !

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

On my last HAL cruise in 2004, we were allowed to order room service on the morning of departure, and also stay in our cabin until our color was called.

It seemed to me to be the best solution all around. The Lido Buffet and dining rooms were also open for dining, but we opted for room service to avoid all hassle.

Just got off the Sun Princess Saturday and it was a bit of a mess in the atrium, hallways, and staircases. Due to an early flight, I had the first color code to disembark. There was some delay as Immigration passed by our door with dogs - apparently someone had some contraband on our deck. That situation had to be resolved before anyone could disembark.

Despite that delay, I was still at FLL airport by 8:45 or 9:00. Also find that a cab is easier than waiting for a transfer bus to fill up and load all the luggage.

I think the main reason they want us out of the cabins is to get started cleaning as early as possible. But the stewards could have a list of departure times and schedule their cabin cleaning as soon as someone leaves.
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Passenger

Default disembarkting is a big hassle if you're flying

When we cruised in November, the disembarktion was a nightmare. Our color tag was called early, at least I thought so. We were in line for about an hour before we even got into the customs area. It was a big hassle. People with wheelchairs were moved along if they could get through. I think only one person should be allowed to accompany the disabled person, unless they're children (18 and under).

We thought that they could use a better system in disembarking. Have the the tag colors gather in a certain area, so that they don't cram the hallways. When everyone that is suppose to be in for that color is there, then they can allow that group to disembark. The earlier that they get to that area the earlier the # that they will be in line. Like getting concert tickets.

Getting the X*%@^$ busdriver to move even after he got our luggage onboard was horrible. :evil: Our flight was at 1:30 and our busdriver was still yakking at the pier at 12:15. I thought we were going to miss our plane. Luckily we got there in time to check in.

We decided to drive this time in order to take our time getting off the ship, and also so we can get on the ship earlier. Lets hope this trip is better for these portions of the trip.

Carnival Holiday Eastern Caribbean Feb 1986
Carnival Valor Eastern Caribbean Nov 2005
Carnival Holiday Mexican Riviera April 2006
Princess Sun Princess Alaska May 2007
Old June 6th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Passenger

Default Re: disembarkting is a big hassle if you're flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieBabie61
People with wheelchairs were moved along if they could get through. I think only one person should be allowed to accompany the disabled person, unless they're children (18 and under).

That sounds good in theory, but isn't necessarily practical. Our extended family (a group of eight) cruises together, one of us in a wheelchair. Due to the wheelchair, we usually have to make special arrangements for transfers. What would be the point of allowing our wheelchair bound person and his "helper" to disembark early, only to have them wait in the terminal for the rest of us to join them for our transfers?

I know that Disembarkation Day is a hassle....but let's not add to it by dividing up parties that are traveling together.
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cricket:

Easy solution to this. Just go to the Customer Service Desk and let them know that you would like to disembark with the rest of your party. They will in almost all situations accommodate you, especially if one of your party is wheelchair bound.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Cricket:

Easy solution to this. Just go to the Customer Service Desk and let them know that you would like to disembark with the rest of your party. They will in almost all situations accommodate you, especially if one of your party is wheelchair bound.

Take care,
Mike
Thanks Mike -- that's exactly what we do! And every line that we've cruised on has been very accommodating in that respect.

My previous post was simply a response to AnnieBaby61's suggestion that only one person be allowed to accompany a wheelchair-bound person during disembarkation. That's an idea that sounds good on the surface, but may cause more trouble than it solves.

Take care,
Cricket