Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Beginner

Default which cruise line?

just wondering what everyone thaught in which cruise line to take on the partial panama canal cruise, princess or RCCL? and with carribean also princess, RCCL or celebrity?? leaving from ft lauderdale or miami

thanx to all that reply
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: which cruise line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UREMOL
just wondering what everyone thaught in which cruise line to take on the partial panama canal cruise, princess or RCCL? and with carribean also princess, RCCL or celebrity?? leaving from ft lauderdale or miami

thanx to all that reply
all the lines have their pluses and minuses. Depends on what you want. RCCL is better for families and atheltic types but the food is only so-so unless you go to the pay extra restuarant.

Food is much better on Celebrity and Princess-but on Celebrity there are lots of little extra touches like the steward leaves you ice and water in your stateroom, if you decide you want the more casual dinning for dinner you still have a table and waiter, and even at lunch in the causal restuarant a person carries your tray to your table for you.

But Princess normally is the better value-you can get a balcony room on Princess for about the same price as an oceanview on Celebrity.

So you have to decide what is the best fit for you. One thing that can help also is to read some ship's reviews on the ships you are considering. (two ships on the same line can be very differant) there you can read what people who have cruised these ships felt about them and what they liked and disliked about the ships. It really a good way to get info-for example I do not like crowded huge ships but many people are not bothered by this-so what I may dislike-they may like.

So read some ship's reviews. Really the best place for you to get info to help you decide.
Old April 1st, 2006, 11:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Food is much better on Celebrity and Princess-but on Celebrity there are lots of little extra touches like the steward leaves you ice and water in your stateroom....
Actually, on our Princess cruise, we also had daily ice delivery to our cabin. I think Princess is more family friendly while Celebrity is aimed more towards adults. Princess is more informal. Celebrity would like to present itself as a bit more upscale.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by UREMOL

thanx to all that reply
I have not done the Panama Canal yet-it takes more vacation time-but I have done plenty of caribbean cruises-9 of my 11 cruises have been in the caribbean (I have also been to Alaska once and Bermuda once)on ALL the lines you mentioned. Every line has it's pluses and minuses. My fav though is either Celebrity or Princess but then I am over 50.

RCCL is great if you are athelitic and like lots of activiites-but the food is just mediocre unless you go to the pay extra restuarants-but I know many of the younger set-prefer lots of activities to having great food.

My feeling when I was on Mariner of the Seas-it was more like a floating resort then the feel of good old fashioned "Love boat" traditionial cruising.

Both Princess and Celebrity give you more of the traditionial feel type cruise with great food -very good steaks etc. and REAL Baked Alaska. RCCL does not do real Baked Alaska.

Leaving from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami either there are tons of choices. Is this yiour first cruise? If it is don't worry-no matter WHAT you do you will have a great time-there is NOTHING like the feel of your first cruise.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:40 AM
Admiral

sorry-I did not realize I had already posted here. by the way my next cruise is Princess again-I have not been on Princess since 2002 when we did Bermuda and I do not remember the steward leaving us water.

Most often on most of the lines-the steward leaves a bottle of water for you that you pay $4 for if you open it-I liked the fact that on the Celebrity Zenith-there was no bottle of water in our stateroom but instead a pitcher of water and a bucke tof ice. Such a nice touch that they were not trying to get every buck from us for simple things like drinking water.
Old April 8th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Beginner

According to the Better Business Bureau of Southeast Florida and the Caribbean, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Lines all have an "unsatisfactory record" of dealing with customer complaints.

While we went on the relatively new Coral Princess and did not see the problems listed by other travellers with Carnival or Royal Caribbean, as Princess is now also owned by Carnival, I wonder if the service level will drop and also cause Princess to join the above list.
Old April 9th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValandBill
According to the Better Business Bureau of Southeast Florida and the Caribbean, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Lines all have an "unsatisfactory record" of dealing with customer complaints.

While we went on the relatively new Coral Princess and did not see the problems listed by other travellers with Carnival or Royal Caribbean, as Princess is now also owned by Carnival, I wonder if the service level will drop and also cause Princess to join the above list.
Carnival CORPORATION has owned Princess since 2003-so if what you think is true-that should be noticable by now-by the way Carnival corporation also owns that snobby line Cunard-many who cruise tha tline would turn their noses up at Princess BEFORE Princess was bought by Carnival Corporation.

Now I AM NOT a fan of Carnival-I am also NOT a fan of RCCL-but I like both Princess and Celebrity - Celebrity is owned by RCCL I am not wealthy so I still cruise mainstream lines-but I do like the fact that Princess is and Celebrity are both a cut above the other two lines.

You know HAL is owned by Carnival also. I found HAL to be the complete opposite of Carnival-MUCH too subdued-not much going on once 9 pm hit-but HAL did have some of the best cruiseline food I have ever had. The HAL ship also was much more tastefully and expensively decorated then the Carnival ships I had been on-where as the Carnival ships were all "neony"-the HAL ship looked more like a a very expensive 4 star hotel.

I read a post from a person who said HAL was a cr&*py line because Carnival had bought it-and I was like AMAZED-as HAL was nothing like Carnival. It seemed to me this person had perceived this plain simply because he did not like Carnival.

People just don't get it that these big corporations want something offer all tastes so they can capture more of the cruise market. tha tis why they own differant cruiselines. They do not want their lines to be copies of each other. They may as well just have one big huge cruiseline if all of their lines were the same.