Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Beginner

Default COMMENTS NEEDED FOR NEW BOOK

HELP NEEDED FOR NEW BOOK

We are doing a second edition of our book, SELLING THE SEA- An Inside Look at the Cruise Industry published by John Wiley. The new edition will be out next year. We are interested in comments from everyone on how you chose which cruise line to sail on, and why. Why did you pick the last cruise you were on and which is your favorite? All names will be kept confidential so no one will know who said what. The last edition, published 10 years ago sold over 30,000 copies -- mostly to people in the industry and so your thoughts are very important to us. Thank you.
Andy Vladimir& Bob Dickinson
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Admiral

When my husband and I were looking for a cruise, we IMMEDIATELY checked out Carnival's Paradise itinerary, only because at that time it was the only 100% non-smoking ship! Sadly it has gone the way of the profit-makers, but we always gave prefernce to that ship beautiful of it's policy and the beauty of the ship.

Now we simply look for where we want to go...the Paradise has lost it's magic...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 19th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

First, I decide on an itinerary. If its just my husband and I we choose together. If we're taking the kids everyone gets involved. We then have a family meeting for everyone to pitch where they want to go and why and the approximate cost. Everyone gets a vote (Mom and Dad's votes count more though ).

Next we start researching which lines go to where we want to go and the cost involved. I book the line based on cost. When we travel as a family of 5-6 depending on school vacations we have to plan carefully as we have to fly into a port so not only do we have the cruise cost, we have airfare as well.

My last cruise was on Royal Carribean and I booked it solely due to cost. We got a great price, 3 ports and an onboard credit. The same Carnival Cruise was almost $100 more pp, only had 2 ports and no onboard credit. Our upcoming cruise is on Carnival. This time Carnival had the best price.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Andy tells me by email that he welcomes people to post their personal opinions here in the message board to encourage even further discussion.

If you email him, I recommend that you keep your emails on the topic. Andy does not work for Carnival, cannot speak for them and doesn't have any proprietary information or the ability to resolve any complaints.

He did write a very good book, though, "Selling the Sea" and with your help the next one will be just as good.

I can tell you how I would pick cruises if I were retired and had free time. Of course, I am busy running this site, so the one cruise I was able to book this year is the CM New Years Cruise of the Century. But in my work I see the various advertisements as they cross my desk every day, and in all honesty I see some incredible deals on cruises I probably never would have considered but they sound so compelling... There are often times when I see something where I just say to myself, "if I had the free time I would book that in a minute."

In other words, I do not recommend picking a destination and then a sail date and then a cruise line and then a cabin.

I recommend following the newsletters of CM and various other sites & agencies and grabbing bargains when they come down the pike. That way you save a ton of money, and you end up surprising yourself by going to places you never thought of going before.
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Andy, I will quote my husband in saying that "Carnival gives you the biggest bang for the buck" and that is why we have sailed Carnival 5 times already.
My personal favourite was the Paradise, when it was a non-smoking ship, and I would book another cruise on a non-smoking ship in a minute, if the cruiselines would WAKE UP and offer them!!

donna
Old April 19th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Captain

on my frist cruise with my mom i had done some research online
and i had some idea because i had done cruise before we decide
to cruise on ship i went on before because i know it together we plan our
itinerary and our shore excursion and we had a great time we have already plan our next cruise this fall different ship different itinerary
i'm sure will learn something new on are way
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175

well, i've never actually cruised yet..... 10 days and counting!!! but i've wanted to cruise for years and to be honest, i don't remember how we picked a cruise over a land-based vacation this time around. i called my ta and told her i wanted to try a cruise. she picked carnival due to the lower prices and picked 3 itineraries based on what i told her i wanted (caribbean, port-intensive, and excursions that would allow me to do things i can't do here in chicago) the result? exotic western caribbean on the carnival valor. she's been right in the past so hopefully her record will continue to prove successful.

-lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I didn't want to steer this conversation to much - but let me try posing a question this way...

Many of the cruisers here are beholden to one cruise line. This is not just about Carnival, the idea of the book (if it is like the first one "Selling the Sea") is to understand the mind of the cruise consumer in general.

Those of you who love Princess and cruise on them time after time, or Holland America, Or Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. What is it about those cruise lines that makes you choose them time after time?

Is it because they offer variety? ("I've never had to take the same itinerary twice")

Or maybe it is because they offer consistency? ("I can always count on them to have good quality food & service")

Is it something unique about them? ("Well, the food is average but the cabins are very comfortable")

Or it is bang for the buck? ("they don't stand out in any one category, but the price is right")

Is it something like casual vs formal, small vs large, cheap vs pricey. Bang for buck or price is no object?

I'm just trying to encourage people to be more specific. You have the ear of the cruise makers - tell them what you like!
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Admiral

My first cruise was way back in 1988 on the Mardi Gras with my ex boyfriend. Cost was an issue so it was just a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas we had a great time and I remember how many people we met.Cruising is the most social of vacations which is the one of the main reasons I love it.
The other is being away from it all, the silence of being on deck at sea and listening to the water and not hearing all the city noises like traffic I hear daily at home.

Im a single middle aged female. Almost all of my friends are married, have small children, cannot afford to travel or take land based vacations. Since I have no one to travel with I book Singles Cruises with a Singles Agency who finds me a cabin mate if needed, and then I have a group of other single people to hang out with. I am now booking future single cruises with other females I have met on the past two singles cruises I have taken.So I now have people to travel with ,and my list keeps growing each time I cruise; and meet more people. It's not really about finding love on singles cruises the most rewarding part is friendships formed. Though It would be great to meet my future husband. I have friends now from all over this country and other countries I have met while cruising. And we keep in touch. On land based vacations people tend to keep to themselves and not socialize on a ship people open up and conversations are started, friendships formed since you run into some of the same people again and again at dinner, on shore, and on the ship.

Carnival is supposed to be the most Single friendly line but all lines seem to cater to couples and familys. Carnival is supposed to be the most singles friendly cruise line so about 90% of singles cruises seem to be with them. Other lines have not jumped on the band wagon, and seem to cater to couples. But I would consider a normal cruise on a line that offers a single match program ( where they find you a cabin mate or you cruise without the singles supplement.) Carnival oddly does not offer this for normal sailings.

I then choose the Singles cruise by price and what the destination ports are, I research what things I can do and see in those ports, what shore excursions are offered. I also look at the age of the ship and like to get a newer one, though I would consider older ships if the reviews are favorable. I want to experiance other cruise lines in the future to compare and contrast.

Time of year is also a factor I also prefer to cruise when most kids are in school and not running unsupervised all over the cruise ship. So holiday cruises are out, and probally Spring Break too. After 3 cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale I choose my recent cruise because it goes out of Long Beach. I want to cruise from a new port and spend a few days seeing California pre and post cruise.

A non smoking line would catch my eye, so would a casual dress cruise without the formal nights. Specialty cruises that offer educational classes are also interesting to me, and theme cruises such as 80's Rock and Roll cruise complete with live bands.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Admiral

Of course good food quality entertainment bands, dancers, musicians, comedians. Customer service by staff such as waiters, room stewards, and other cruise ship employees matters too. As well as how quickly and a cruise line responds to resolve complaints and problems.
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Passenger

Don't know if this is what you're after, but Deb and I have cruised enough now that our first criterion on choosing a trip is the ship itself. We like the Radiance class (RCCL) best so far. However we want to take the Zenith again at our earliest opportunity (service was a cut above).

One of our favorite parts of the cruise is room-service for breakfast. RCCL and CEL seem to have the most available hot foods. Granted what we order may not be on the official menu, but we always get what we order. Other cruise lines could expand their room service menus.

Bill
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

We chose NCL for our 2nd cruise because the Dawn sailed out of NYC which is very close to home for us. The itinerary was not that exciting but overall the convenience of not having to fly won us over. We also chose NCL because of the freestyle concept. We had taken the HAL Oosterdam the previous year and loved it but we didn't want anything to do with dressing up. We just took our 2nd cruise with NCL on the Jewel and loved it because of the Eastern Carib. itinerary. We seem to be more interested in the freestyle concept. However, the first line to come out with a non-smoking cruise, I'm on it.
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think the Frequent "whatever" (flyer, cruiser, shopper) clubs are becoming a pretty large factor in the market place... and that's a growing factor in the cruise industry as well.

I think there's little doubt that the fact cruise lines are letting you earn "perks" through loyalty programs is driving a good deal of the repeat cruiser business.

At the moment Princess cruises seems to the "top the list" in "perks and amenities" offered to repeaters, and oddly (since it's the same parent corporation) Carnival offers the least. That may be because Carnival targets first time cruisers, to whom those benefits don't apply, more than they do their repeat business. Perhaps the stragedy is to move repeat business "up" to one of their other brands, and keep attracting new cruisers to Carnival. But in the long run I think that's a mistake.

Often my directions for choosing cruises is somewhat different than the aveage cruiser. I'm often trying to decide which would make great cruises for the CruiseMates Group Cruise program. I'm therefore looking at many combining factors which I think will give the members of our community the best group cruise experience, when I make our choices.

In the Caribbean, price seems to be a HUGE factor in determining how many join our groups, almost irrelevant of ship or itinerary. Since the area is familiar to most, and they know traveling with one of groups is going to provide plenty of fun, most people just want a GREAT price.

Perhaps oddly, some of our most successful group cruises have been on longer cruises to slightly more exotic itineraries. ie Europe, Hawaii, TransAtlantic crossings. Though price is a key point, itinerary, and ship selection play a larger factor than for Caribbean sailings.
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Being retired, we choose our cruises in a different way than many of you.

First, we pick the time of year when there will be few children and college students on the ship. This means anytime between October and May with the exception of Christmas to New Years and spring break. An additional advantage is that there will be many longer and more reasonable cruises available such ad trans-Atlantic repositioning cruises.

Next we look at itinerary. We wish to visit places that we haven't been to before.

Third, we look at size of ship. Since many of our cruises will be for 10 days to two weeks or so, we want a large ship with many activities. We can always rest at home. On a cruise, we like to keep busy. Here, I am speaking mostly for myself, since my wife can read or do crafts for days on end. In addition, the newer, larger ships have more balcony cabins available.

Next comes cost. If two ships of the same size are during a similar itinerary and one is considerably cheaper, we will probably choose the cheaper one.

Lastly, we chose the cruise line. We don't cruise on any of the smaller up-scale lines because of cost, the need to get dressed up for dinner more often. less activities and possible snootiness. All inclusive is lost on us, since we don't drink alcohol while cruising. We like RCI ships the best of the main-line ships because of what we consider better and more beautiful design.

We have cruised a total of 22 times on RCI, Carnival, Princess, Norwegian and Commodore. Entertainment, activities and food have been very good on all of them.
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

For us, it's been all about the convienance of the ports close to us, and the pricing. ( ex.Mobile, Alabama, and New Orleans) And Carnival does do a good job in doing so.

We do look at the ports of call,and which particular ship we would be sailing on. But the most important is pricing, and how convienant the port is in getting there.

Does the other lines apeal to me ? You bet they do ! Wish I could sail on everyone of them 10 times or more !

But for now, we have to stay in our vacation budget.

Happy sailing;
david
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

David, a question for you. There is some industry speculation the "drive-to" traffic has gotten to the "been there, done that" stage. Do you see yourself taking the same cruise over and over because it is convenient? How about if the cruise lines put in NEW ships at a nearby port and varied the itinerary some?
Old April 20th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Paul Im not sure if your comments were directed at me. I have been on 3 cruises total with one more booked in October. I have done Carnival because it is the line that most singles cruises are offered on.

I have done one on Costa also a singles cruise. I like to compare and contrast cruise lines for me they are like apples and oranges both good just different.

I liked the Costa cruise also. Some things were better food for one, but the buffet area did not serve close to dinner time only sandwiches or pizza. The entertainment was not as lavish butI loved the line dance classes.There were so many activities such as crafts mask making etc.. And choose this cruise because of the price and ports, San Juan, St Thomas, Dominican Republic and Nassau.

My other cruises (both Carnival) were to Costa Rica, Belize and Panama a great value and an 8 day cruise, and the first one to Nassau and Freeport. I loved going to see the Panama Canal, snorkled with sting rays in Belize and saw the Sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica.

Ecco tours animals and nature are very important to me, as well as Historical sights. I plan to see the Mayan Ruins, and Alaska next year. In October Im off to the Mexican Rivera in part to cruise from a new port, in part because I wanted to swim with sea lions or dolphins. Planned to Whale watch but found out they won't be in Mexico in October.

I plan to try other lines when they are offered for Singles groups. There are a few on Holland America I hope to try.
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

actually I was addressing David West above, because he said he drives to cruises.

BTW: I love Holland America, but take a friend with you, I would not go on one as a single person, you will be pretty lonely (done it)
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
David, a question for you. There is some industry speculation the "drive-to" traffic has gotten to the "been there, done that" stage. Do you see yourself taking the same cruise over and over because it is convenient? How about if the cruise lines put in NEW ships at a nearby port and varied the itinerary some?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul,
Yes, it probadly has Paul. The cruise Industry probadly thinks," if the people want to sail to the Eastern, or Southern Carribean, or other exoitic Ports , they will come, or travel to what-ever ports they have too, to expierance this vacation of a life time. And in there absumption, there correct Because we do, every week , thousands and thousands of people fill these ships every week.

Why do we do this Because the cruiseships, and the cruising industry today, gives the public what they want, and alittle bit more. And that makes us return every year, after year, after year. And thats why the cruising business is booming. Because we know, and they know, they do have the greatest vacation packages on earth today

But,... what if they would start sailing from Mobile, Galveston, or New Orleans, for the Eastern or Southern Carribean. Even if they had to make it a 8-day or longer cruise. How much more business could they get ? I personally would go for it ! I would love to see this added. And how many more would like to see this too.

Would I cruise out of the same port, same ship, with the same itinerary everytime, because its cheaper, and more convenaint, and this is all I could afford to do, And I only had so much money to spend on a vacation. YOU BET I WOULD We ( the wife and I) have been to the Western Carribean 3 times. All out of the port of New Orleans. And with the 4'th trip in the plans for a 4-day out of Mobile in Sept.2006.

With our cruise being canceled last year because of Katrina, we took that money and put down on our cruise for this year on the Valor. This has allowed us to be able to do the airfare, extra motel for our precruise stay, a different ship, and different itinerary. We are sailing on the Valor on May 21'st for the Eastern Carribean. But we couldn't fly too and sail out of Miami every year.

Happy sailing;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I've been on 14 cruises and I'm slowly changing the way I look at which cruises to book.

While I travel with a group alot, much of the time I get my own cabin for various reasons. I am starting to look at cruise lines that are more "single-friendly". I love Princess and am Platinum with them, but the fact that they charge double port charges and fees for single cruisers and you only get a discount on the cheapest inside cabins most of the time is beginning to be a turn-off to me. Carnival, while they have good pricing for singles in some categories, not all singles are there to get drunk, dance and participate in pool games and hook up - they need to branch out what they offer for the single cruisers. Royal Caribbean charges double for their single cruisers no matter what category......but if I find a REALLY good deal with them I will book it. I just wish that if I am going to pay 200% for the cabin for the week, I could get the double cruise credit that those who book mini-suites and higher get for the regular bookings toward their Crown and Anchor status (and other cruise line's frequent cruisers programs). And the cruise lines don't lose money with me being a single in a cabin........trust me, my S&S totals sometimes shock me!

Crystal is beginning to intrigue me because at times they have the most attractive single fares out there - sometimes only 125% or no single supplement! But I get the feeling that Crystal might be a little to slow-paced for me. Now, I wish more of the mainstream cruise lines would follow Crystal's single pricing's policies - not for all sailings, but how about for those times when the kids are in school, etc.........?

I want to try Holland America in the future, along with Oceania........but it will all depend on the way they treat single cruisers as customers.
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:17 AM
Passenger

Default how i choose a cruise

we are budget travelers and mostly pick cruises by price. i'd go to any destination happily if the price was right!

we''ve been on 7 cruises now. lowest price was $250 for 7 days to Belize, Honduras etc. and we loved it.
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:31 PM
Admiral

I'm up to 35+ cruises. Kind of lost track there for awhile. Have been on NCL, Royal, Princess, HAL and Carnival. Multiple cruises on each one. Our favorite overall is HAL, because they seem to put more emphasis on intellectual and even spiritual programs. But, that may be because our longest cruises have been on HAL.
Our usual budget limits us to 7 day cruises and we generally go on Carnival. Partly, cost and convenience. We live in Florida and Carnival has more options than any others. I also much prefer the older, smaller ships. I have some mobility problems and ships like the Glory are just really hard for me to be spontaneous, since I get worn out just hitting the buffet....which I do often!
I also became more of a Carnival fan when we got caught in an approaching hurricane several years ago. The captain took us out of harm's way and that resulted in an extra day of cruising. More importantly, Carnival went "overboard" to make the experience as hassle free as possible. They waived all ship to shore phone charges, rebooked and paid any fess on airlines, etc., fed and entertained us and put up with some truly obnoxious fools who thought the hurricane was Carnival's fault somehow. We had flown to departure port that time and booked our air separately, so we were expecting to have to pay the fees, etc. ouselves, but Carnival even took care of ours. Just had new tickets show up in our cabin. When I wrote to them afterwards to express my appreciation, they offered me a welcome aboard package on our next cruise. Truly a class act all the way. Which may be at odds with what some folks say, but I feel that Carnival has become a good value and usually a very good product.
That said, I will go on any cruise any time we can scare up the extra bucks to get on board. I have even offered to help row!
Marty, the cruise-a-holic
Old April 21st, 2006, 04:45 PM
First Mate

I choose NCL frequently, because I enjoy freestyle dining...........You are not assigned to a specific dining room, time, or table. Passengers may eat whenever they choose to.

Norwegian has a relaxed dresscode, which calles for "resort Casual."
There is no suggested "Costume of the Evening, and formal nights are optional. I do dress up for formal night, as do about 50% of the passengers. On my last cruise aboard the NCL Majesty, most people dressed nicely for dinner.

Disembarking from a Norwegian ship is sooo easy. Passengers can relax in their cabins while waiting for their Baggage Tag color to be called. There is no crowding in public areas.

Our next cruise will be aboard the NCLA Pride of Aloha. We chose this U.S flagged ship, because it plies the Hawaiian Islands without wasting time in a foreign port.......Fanning Island.

I would happily book an NCLA ship which cruises the eastern U.S.A.

Barb
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree with you an the casual stuff. I really do not enjoy having to dress up for dinner. That is why I like Oceania. Great food, no expectations for dress.

They are also very port intensive in their itineraries. I think of them as high-quality, no frills cruising. You get what you pay for, traveler-oriented itineraries, in high comfort, and good food. You don't pay a premium just because they have $1,000,000 in art on the walls or a "name" entertainer in a $10,000,000 theater. The ship is not the experience, the destination is.

For people where the ship is the destination, the "I just love days at sea" cruiser, I recommend different ships.
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:04 PM
Admiral

I've taken 25 cruises over the course of 4 decades and have been on all the majors except Princess...Like others have posted I have matured in my selection of cruise lines and ports based upon my discretionary income and as I get older my yearning to see different parts of the world

In order of thought process...ports of call...how much cash I have..do I feel like "big" (300+) or medium to small..which cruise line has a deal going on when I want to go..how close I am to achieving a higher status in the cruise line

I prefer cruising out of Europe over the caribbean..I prefer eastern or southern caribbean and will avoid western caribbean if I have a choice..love balconies on cruises that have more sea days then port..if port intensive cruise, inside is fine

I've never had a bad cruise and all the major cruise lines deliver pretty much the same outstanding product..cruising is a mind set
Old April 21st, 2006, 09:25 PM
Captain

I've enjoyed reading all the comments/reasons for choices, etc.!

I've been cruising since 1982, 19 cruises, 13 as a single, 6 with a friend.
Prior to 2001, I was always able to grab a decent single fare although I've been on a bandwagon about fares even had letters published.

I've pretty much cruised for itinerary, not big on the Caribbean. I guess you could say my story is like real estate, location, location, with an exception or two, Cruise Mate's Cruise of the Century this year! :-) Length is key, I've never been on a ship for less than 7 days. I started with 2 seven day cruises, moved on to 11, 12 and 14 days right away.

Princess is my favorite cruise line (7) then Royal Caribbean, early on I sailed with NCL 5 times, also sailed Carnival, Celebrity and Costa. I choose Princess for itinerary/benefits, Platinum is nice, keeping touch from far away places. Last years cruise, Spain, Portugal, France, Guernsey, Ireland, Faroe Isl., Iceland, Greenland, and Newfoundland.

My next big cruise will be 2007 to the Mediterranean. Depending on time issues (working for Manpower), I booked the "new" Royal Princess B2B, Barcelona to Athens and Athens to Rome a 60th birthday present to me!

In spite of the single pricing, which was better years ago, cruising is an ideal vacation for a single person. I always meet terrific people, find people to go ashore, in 19 cruises I think I've changed dining tables maybe once. Princess and RCI have the edge there, I always end up with great table mates! I can be by myself or with other people, what is not to like???
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:48 AM
Captain

Hi,
I am Carnival loyal. I pick it because I like the big shows, pool games etc The whole package. Lots of glitz and excitement to keep my mind busy. My last planned cruise was RCCL and I picked it because of the itinerary. I like the southern carib. and it had some islands I have not been on with Carnival. I never made it so did not get a chance to try RCCL cruise line. I like the busy 5 island, 1 week crusies. I think my next cruise will be out of NYC. I love the NYC sailings because NYes are freindly. Plus my husband does not like to fly. I am budget conscious also. Let's face it, Carnival is cheaper. I do a lot of research and I always end up with Carnival because of the cost and I like it. Can't go wrong.
A favorite ship and cruise? Hmmm...that is hard to say.

I guess the bottom line is lots of choices for variety.

Karen

PS It is nice to stick to a cruiseline and see the same ship people again. Like the guy performing on the Carnival commercial. I remember him twice as a ship lead singer and once as a Cruise Director. That is way cool to see him on the commercial. You go guy!!!
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:54 AM
Captain

I just wanted to add, for my next one, if I was not on a budget, I would do a Disney cruise with my little guy.
Also, ship workers are soooo nice to little children. There he is with a Carnival food service staff member. How kind for him to pose with Ryan.

Karen
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Default Why we cruise one line over another

We have only done 3 cruises ( all within 14 months) and we have chosen Princess for all 3. We chose based on destination and price. We do make sure it departs from Fla. so we can drive.

Each cruise we did find some on other lines with same or almost same destinations but went with Princess due to pricing.

We only reserve guart. inside and have not been dissappionted yet.

Also must say we really do enjoy the anytime dining. We have never had what you would call bad tablemates. No big time complainers or such.

I'm sure if we find a cruies on another line that we find interesting and like the price we will do it.

Nancy
Star Princess Jan 2005
Sun Princess Oct 2005
Caribbean Princess Mar 2006

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:53 PM
Admiral

We love cruising because of the wonderful people we meet on board almost daily,enjoying themselves.We have kids,so we LOVE Carnival's Camp Carnival.Our kids talk about it ALL the time.... they LOVE it.Our older kids love that they can ALWAYS find cruise friends on every Carnival ship we have been on.My kids are important to me,and if they are happy...i'm happy.