CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Clean/sanitize the bedspreads and blankets (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/315586-clean-sanitize-bedspreads-blankets.html)

san007 June 12th, 2006 09:00 PM

Clean/sanitize the bedspreads and blankets

There was a woman on the news complaining of bug bites she got in her cabin bed. The thought came to me that the bedspreads dont smell as if they were clean. They smell old n musty. And if they are cleaning the sheets there just putting back the same dirty bedspreads on top of them.

Barb Nahoumi June 28th, 2006 04:11 PM

Re: Clean/sanitize the bedspreads, sheets,stinking lifevest

Quote:

Originally Posted by san007
There was a woman on the news complaining of bug bites she got in her cabin bed. The thought came to me that the bedspreads dont smell as if they were clean. They smell old n musty. And if they are cleaning the sheets there just putting back the same dirty bedspreads on top of them. I just got back from Orlando fl in a so called 5star hotel. I removed the bedspreads because I felt strongly they dont remove them after each guest. I would like to here from those who r concerned about this issue and those who can do something about it.

They should wash & change bedspreads after each guest. Doing so might reduce the chance of bedbugs, as well as the norvo virus.

By the way, I have never encountered bedbugs on any cruise or hotel.

Barb

san007 October 5th, 2006 12:40 PM

just as I thought. I surprised my cabin steward when he was doing the bed and no he did not change the sheets. He was like a deer caught in the headlights. I knew they were taking shortcuts. We left pretzels on the floor in different places. The pretzels remain there to the end of the cruise. the standing water was ridiculous. I also asked for another clean comforter and sheets and never got it. He was nt a good cabin steward and niether was his help. they don't seem to care anymore.

Fieldmouse October 5th, 2006 01:07 PM

Quote:

justas I thought. I surprised my cabin steward when he was ding the bed and no he did not change the sheets. He was like a deer caught in the headlights. I knew they were taking shortcuts. We left pretzals on the floor in different places. The pretzzels remain there to the end of the cruise. the standing water was ridiculous. I also asked for another clean comforter and sheets and never got it. He was nt a good cabin steward and niether was his help. they don't seem to care anymore.

That would have lasted about 30 seconds!!!! We would have stood there until he brought another comforter! As far as sheets...I don't believe they change them everyday, or it may depend on if you have a suite and how many days you are cruising.

So far (7 cruises) we've had good cabin stewards and assistants. When we've had a complaint they took care of it right away.

Rather than suffer...next time go to the next level...and speak directly with their supervisor or go to Guest Services and let them know! It may be that the cabin steward needed a little 'kick in the pants' so to speak. Sort of a 'jump start'...

If you ignore a service problem...it won't go away OR get better...it just gets further entrenched. They think they are getting away with it and you DON'T CARE.

san007 October 5th, 2006 08:13 PM

good news though the lfebest seem to smell alot better and alot smaller and comfortable. Years ago the vest were huge and blocked.

macdays1 October 20th, 2006 07:48 PM

I don't believe they change your sheets or duvet cover during the time you on onboard. They do change them between passengers though. The morning we disembarked, I pulled the curtains back to let the sun in. When I did, I saw two clean sets of sheets, pillowcases, and duvet covers. The bedspreads do not get washed often enough though. I have a problem with that too. I wish they would stay on top of that. Maybe they should pull them all the day before you disembark, wash them, and keep them until the morning when it's time to change the beds.

momofmeg November 16th, 2006 11:34 AM

I noticed that mid-week on carib Princess they did change the bedspreads. I saw the stewards with piles of them. Our steward had 3 bed spreads and blankets both- stacked up on the closet shelf above where we hung our clothes, the first half of our cruise. So atleast on CP, the bedpsreads do get changed.

I would think since they were changed midweek-that they would also be changed whenever the cruise ended for the new cabin mates. These bedspreads were machine washable. As far as I am concerned-dry clean bedspreads should not be used on a cruiseship.

san007 November 17th, 2006 04:42 PM

that is so good to know Momofmeg. The first night on the Glory, my sheets smelled as if they weren't changed. i also saw hair long and short on my sheets a few nights. I ecaught the cabin steeward just raking the sheets with his hand. I went bizerk. I knew they were cutting corners. From then on I didn't trust my cabin steward.

momofmeg November 20th, 2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

that is so good to know Momofmeg. The first night on the Glory, my sheets smelled as if they weren't changed. i also saw hair long and short on my sheets a few nights. I ecaught the cabin steeward just raking the sheets with his hand. I went bizerk. I knew they were cutting corners. From then on I didn't trust my cabin steward.

I don't think they change your sheets but once midweek-it is not like a hotel and every night. I don't car eif it was ME who previously slept on the sheets-jus tmake sure it is not the previous cruiser!

which I also noticed they changed the mattress covers also.

BTW- I worry about hotels more-because they LOVE those dryclean only spreads-how often do you think they get drycleaned? I bet no more then once a month.

elainmir November 27th, 2006 11:07 PM

Thats gross and I'd be pitching a fit. I sail on Dec. 2 on the Glory. I'm going to take some Lysol Wipes with me now. Just in case I have to clean the room myself. I wonder if the bed / beds are twin , full or what. I'm tempted to bring my own sheets. Yes I know that sounds extreme but I do have allergies and dont want to be zonked on Benedryl because I have the itchies from covers that were not washed. YUK.

colorcrazie November 28th, 2006 12:43 PM

If your allergies include feathers, be sure and ask for foam pillows. I had a couple of awful nights before I went...doh!
Marty

Dayzy December 16th, 2006 09:18 PM

I know that halfway through my last cruise, my sheets and bedspread were changed on the Victory. I had spilled a bit of soda on my bed and cleaned it the best I could. Two days later I had new items without having to ask. And most hotels don't change the sheets everyday now. I stayed in four different hotels over my honeymoon a few months back and all had cards that said they would change the sheets every third day or if requested, more than that.