Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Lights, Action, Camera

I have spent many hours reading everyones GREAT IDEAS on what to bring on a cruise (alarm clock, balcony lights, ext. cord, cameras, memory cards, suntan lotion & aloe, i-pod, soft side cooler........). I started to gather these items and I have a big box filled with these items. What are the MUST haves and the things that are just nice to have on your cruise. *** Can you bring a box as luggage? I don't want to show up at the port with a semi trailer - I don't want to pack the house! Please help me

THANK YOU
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Admiral

If this is your first cruise....DON'T worry about all the comfort extra's...
You'll do fine.

Each time you cruise...and YOU WILL CRUISE AGAIN...You and your family will find a happy medium between what you need and what you bring just for fun.

Everyone's must haves...will NOT be yours!

Besides...you will not be in the middle of the wilderness...a cruise ship is very comfortable...like a floating hotel. So if you forget something, they will have it on board in one of the shops...everything from make-up, toothpaste, camera's, toys and clothes. If you can't find it on board...you'll be able to get it in one of the Ports of call.

Take a hard look at that box...Think...you're going on an adventure...you will need time to discover the ship...experiencing wonderful Ports of call...making new friends...there is the general WOW factor of your first cruise...Really, do you want to lug around an extra box...filled with stuff you may or many not use? If you don't take anything in that box...you'll still have a GREAT TIME!!!!

Don't make packing a chore...it's part of the fun of cruising! Don't worry.... you'll be fine!!!!
Old August 8th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Hi,
I would skip balcony lights and the cooler. We do take one short extension cord, since cabins only have one outlet. But, while everyone has things they won't cruise without, you can probably skip most of them. Also, the cruise lines tend to charge for any extra parties, cabin decorations, etc. I did it once for hubby, and it wasn't worth the $. Take some cheap (and small) decorations if you want. Just the fact that you are doing this with him is great. Sensation a good choice of ship, too.
Assuming you are pretty laid back guys, you can also get away with less clothing than some. Have a couple of decent looking polo type shirts for casual dinners. If you only wear them at dinner, who is going to care if you wear them more than once!
The rule of thumb is take half the clothes (and other stuff) than you think you need and twice the money. I've found that very true.
Also, most of what I take is because I love the ports. If you are not so much into shore excursions and touring the ports, there is a lot of stuff you won't need. Ex. insect repellant. DON'T skip sunscreen as the sun can fry you in no time in the Caribbean.
It sounds like you are taking the only thing that really matters- a good attitude!
Marty
Old August 8th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Me again. Hubby is Florida via Michigan too. Charlevoix, to be exact. You?
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Me again. Hubby is Florida via Michigan too. Charlevoix, to be exact. You?

Traverse City, MI - - - Orlando, FL

I miss the NORTH , but I like not having to buy clothes for those LONG COLD WINTERS. 8)
Old August 9th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Admiral

We don't miss the cold weather at all. Plus, it is SO much easier to do cruises from Florida. Trust me, once you go, you will get hooked!
Have a ball!
Marty