Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default More time at the ports, PLEASE!!!

I am getting to old racing back to the ship or constantly checking the time. Sometimes I feel it's not worth it getting off the ship if you have to rush back. Some iten says departure time at 2pm. That's a rip-off IMO because the want you back 30min before that time. Then the time wasted being cleared and the entire ship trying to leave at once. I thought I could be a little smarter and have breakfast hoping the lines at the gangway would be shorter. I guess it works but valuable time is being wasted. Don't forget the ones who have the ship-booked excursions disembarks first.
On several islands esp. Nassau, we found ourselves racing back to the ship. WE WANT MORE TIME!!

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Admiral

I think the cruiselines determine how long they will be in Port by the how many and how long the excursions will be. In other words, what are there is for their passengers to be doing.

For example, in Alaska we had plenty of time in each Port. In one port we were there as long as 9-10 hours. There were lots of excursions and some had very extensive itineraries. Of course each 'city' is small and very contained...we had often had time to go on excursions and still shop if we wanted to. Same with Mexico.

The only exception was Vancouver BC and Victoria Island...not enough time there...but I think these Port stops are more for legal reason....I COULD BE WRONG!!!! 8)

But all in all...I think that Port time has to do with the amount of excursions sold and the amount of money passengers might spend in a certain area.

If someone on cruisemates knows different...they'll let us know
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

Time is money!!
The mass market lines pay a lot per passenger to dock and with many ships trying to get the same port they have to limit the time.

On one cruise we are scheduled in Cabo from 7am -1pm the next cruise is there from 11 am to 11 pm ...go figure!
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:03 AM
Admiral

there is a new cruiseline called Easycruise that does stay in port longer-but it is far from the traditionial cruise experience-it is more like Amtrak-a way to get you to the islands-so just transportation.

They do serve food but you pay by the meal-but then if you want to stay in port all day and eat at places like Carlos and Charlies, Margaritaville, etc. and just go back to ship to sleep-it may work for you.
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Yeoman

For me, cruising is mostly about being on the ship. If I want to stay longer somewhere, I book a trip there instead of a cruise.

When I shall book a cruise, one of the first thing I look at is if there are any seadays. The best days on a cruise is for me the days when the ship is at sea the whole day, that´s what cruising is for me!
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: More time at the ports, PLEASE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by san007
I am getting to old racing back to the ship or constantly checking the time. Sometimes I feel it's not worth it getting off the ship if you have to rush back. Some iten says departure time at 2pm. That's a rip-off IMO because the want you back 30min before that time. Then the time wasted being cleared and the entire ship trying to leave at once. I thought I could be a little smarter and have breakfast hoping the lines at the gangway would be shorter. I guess it works but valuable time is being wasted. Don't forget the ones who have the ship-booked excursions disembarks first.
On several islands esp. Nassau, we found ourselves racing back to the ship. WE WANT MORE TIME!!
The days in port were designed to give you a SAMPLE of what each port has to offer. Durations in port vary by cruiseline. Prior to selecting an itinerary, it might be a good idea to choose them based on the # of ports you want to visit and by the length of time in each port. It is also good to get an idea of what each port has to offer and the things available to do in each port beforehand; i.e. independent/shore excursions. If you don't feel you've had enough time in that port, it may be worth booking a land based vacation to that locale for further exploration.

I personally enjoy itinerary rich sailings because I can visit multiple locations in one sailing. We were in Cozumel for 10 hours and IMO it still wasn't enough. I would love to do a 3-4 day at an All-inclusive resort there. However, I also appreciate those days at sea. It can be very exhausting getting up early and rushing to get off the ship on docking/tendering days. Cruise vacations are designed to be fun and relaxing. If you feel like you are always on a schedule, that's take the fun out of it.
CCL Freedom - Panama (8/2010)
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera (4/2010)
Norwegian Sky - Bahamas (12/09)

Past Sailings
Diamond Princess - Alaska Northbound (8/09)
CCL Destiny - S. Caribbean (8/08 )
Norwegian Sun - W. Caribbean (3/08 )
Norwegian Gem - Celebrity Cruise with John Legend & Bobby Flay (12/07)
Legend of the Seas - W. Caribbean (4/07)
Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean (8/06)
Old February 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Yeoman

My guess for the port times would be based on how long it will take to get to the next port. I have noticed that if the ports are close to each other, you stay later. We stayed in Nassau till midnight on one cruise since we were very close to CocoCay. In Alaska, the same thing. If the next port is close, you may stay longer. The ships can only go so fast and they need to plan ahead for travel time.

This is only just my observation from my cruises.
Luanne
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Admiral

I agree with the desire for more time in port. We have been lucky on recent cruises with a number of overnights in port. On our upcoming cruise to the Far East this fall we will have two days in Beijing (Tianjin), three days in Shanghai, and two days in Hong Kong.

I think some ports are better for just a day (i.e., not that much to see and no desire to explore nightllife) while others require many days (i.e., a lot to see including some overland excursions). It is nice when the cruise lines satisfy their customer's desires.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne
My guess for the port times would be based on how long it will take to get to the next port. I have noticed that if the ports are close to each other, you stay later. We stayed in Nassau till midnight on one cruise since we were very close to CocoCay. In Alaska, the same thing. If the next port is close, you may stay longer. The ships can only go so fast and they need to plan ahead for travel time.

This is only just my observation from my cruises.
Luanne
from our cruise on 5/12, it maybe true they stay a little longer the closer they are to the next port but we found that when the ship set sail for the next port it cruised at a much slower speed. our guess was that had they done the normal speed we'd have gotten there in a couple hours and weren't scheduled till the next day. based on that, we could have spent another couple hours at St. Thomas and done more things ashore. we also noticed that our ship sailed early by about 15 minutes from both San Juan and St. Thomas so they aren't really sticking to the times they tell you. yes, time is money but it's our money and we should be getting our money's worth by getting a little more time or at least sticking to the schedule better. just my opinion.

travel makes life fun!
our ship sails 6/12/07 for Eastern Caribbean
Hawaii, Diamond Princess 3/17/08
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Admiral

IMO - the time in port is usually sufficient. EXCEPT - Key West. For some reason most cruise ships only stay for a few hours and leave at 2pm. Key West is a unique place, part of the USA, and it seems like a good place to put some hours in especially later in the day into evening. But then again, maybe that's the problem-getting passengers back aboard. It might turn into the Cozumel cruise ship dash from Senor Frog's to the gangway !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Admiral

I'm not sure of this...maybe Paul or someone knows for certain, but I think that the fees the cruise lines pay at the ports for docking privileges depend on the length of time they are there. And, of course, they would be passing those fees on to us! But, also, I do know that the amount of fuel needed to move those big ships fast rather than slow is huge. Another potentially big expense. Even the speed at which people drive their cars changes the fuel consumption, so imagine that magnified by relative size of the vessel. And the fuel they use isn't cheap to start with, very different from auto or even jet fuel.
Marty
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Wishful, I know, but I would love to find itineraries that provide a two day stay on Maui or Barbados or St. Martin ......... I agree, though, that cruising gives you a flavor of each island. A subsequent land-based vacation planned to a favorite destination would be wonderful! But, we still have more exploring to do with cruising! 8)
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Yeoman

Default Longer port times

NCL to Bermuda. They stay in port 3.5 days and Sail from Charleston, New York, and Boston. We loved it.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin