Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Beginner

Default single cruise advise wanted

OK, I'm looking to go on a cruise by myself (well me and the other 2000 people on the boat ) who can tell me about the "single" cruises that are planned and scheduled, versus just getting on a ship and figuring it out by myself? I've found a few singles cruise companies, ,but are they worth it, or should ZI just book a room and make my own plans?
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Beginner

Default "single's cruising"

I prefer to think of it as "solo cruising". It's a blast going on your own, no own to bug you about do this and dont do that. On this site, you can find a roommate or, if you prefer, stick to the cruise lines that don't hammer you on the single supplement. I just got a deal for a cruise out of NYC to Bahamas on NCL for just a little over $500 for 7 days, and I get to have my own room. People are great on cruises, you can meet everyone and there is a commoraderie on a ship that is cool. Never been on a "singles" cruise, but I hear that Windjammer's are the best. Carnival and Holland America have some low single supplements. Or try the Last minute deals.
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I tried single back in 2002 and never again. I paid 50dollars for the roomate deal hoping I would end up with a room to myself. Nope, I ended up with a snoring and yapping woman from California. I guess she was nicce but with her snoring I couldn't get any sleep. So I went down to complain in the middle of the night and told them I will not tolerate this for the rest of my vacation. Carnival gave me a hard time and at first was not sympathetic. They gave me some excuse of theship being ful and that there were no available cabins. After a few threats and tears they found me a handicap cabin with a window. It was better than what I had. Of course, the woman's attitude changed thruout the cruise. But I guess we both got what we wanted awhich was a room to ourselves.
Who knows your luck may be different.

Old February 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

There's a new company that handles Solo cruises (on the major cruise lines) and its not double the $$ of the cruise price either.

The name escapes me, it was posted on one of the cruise line boards. The company is in Hartford, CT.

You may have to hit the search engine & play around with the wording. They had some really good pricing for single cruises.
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

It really depends on your ability to make your own fun and meet people. Depending on the type of cabin you choose, doing a "singles" cruise deal probably costs more but you have access to their singles parties/excursions during the trip. I did one for Halloween and got assigned a roommate who was nice enough but not as big a partier as I. I didn't really like the singles parties where games kind of forced people to meet each other. Felt contrived. Once I knew the only guy I was attracted to was taken I wasn't really interested in their events anymore. The next cruise, I went by myself, paid a little extra for a solo cabin, did whatever I wanted and met a great guy in the disco who made my 40th birthday very special .

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Passenger

I agree about the singles cruises, sometimes I felt like I was being pushed to do things, but did have fun and met a lot of great people. You should review as much information as you can and then make a decision from there. I would also consider, making sure you read all the posts as this will help you as well.
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Admiral

I cruze solo and have never done a singles group cruise. I am on the 09/29/07 Carnival Glory that also happens to be a single group through VTG. I called this afternoon just to get a feel and was not impressed with the person I talked to (who will also be one of the onboard hosts). It may have been me but I didn't find him very friendly or inviting. Also, I booked a Cat. 1A with two picture windows on the main deck for $200 less than VTG was offering their Cat 4a (inside). However to be fair VTG's 4A's were less than Carnival was charging.

I am very outgoing and like to believe I am fun to be around so I really don't need a group setting to have a blast. I ALWAYS have a great time on the ship. There are other singles and plenty of people in groups, families and couples who are looking for someone else to talk and interact with. I like having a cabin to myself and would only share if I was with a significant other. I also like being able to do as I please when I please 24 hours a day. I have bad sleep habits and tend to nap during the day and stay up late at night. I need the tv to fall asleep but tend to wake back up at the crack of dawn. Since I am on vacation, I don't want to have to curtail my nature clock for a roommate just to save a few dollars. I just book bottom Cat. and pay the extra few dollars and take what the ship assigns me. On Carnival, the single supp for Cat 1A can sometimes be as low as $0 - $15 depending on the ship/itinerary and season. Plus, I am only in the room to sleep, shower and change clothes so it really doesn't matter where on the ship they put me.

For the Glory cruise I will stay as a solo but will observed the goings on with the VTG singles group and decide whether I want to invest the extra $$ to be part of their party.

If you have an independent spirit and don't want to be herded in a group, book on your own and have a blast. If you are a bit shy or introvert, go with a group.

Good Luck and Happy Cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:57 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
I cruze solo and have never done a singles group cruise. I am on the 09/29/07 Carnival Glory that also happens to be a single group through VTG. I called this afternoon just to get a feel and was not impressed with the person I talked to (who will also be one of the onboard hosts). It may have been me but I didn't find him very friendly or inviting. Also, I booked a Cat. 1A with two picture windows on the main deck for $200 less than VTG was offering their Cat 4a (inside). However to be fair VTG's 4A's were less than Carnival was charging.
I B Cruizin,

You can also book a 1A with VTG and have the room to yourself, or book any other catagory and have a room to yourself.

I am booked on the VTG Halloween cruise out of Miami and my 1A was exactly, to the penny I might add, the same price with VTG as it was with Carnival. All you have to do is ask when you book, it's not on the VTG web sight.

Bill 8)