Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HGeffen
Default SOOOOO annoyed

Okay, so my boyfriend and I have been planning a cruise for a while now. We have been saving up for months. I am 19 years old, and he is is 21. I just read Carnival's cruise restrictions and it says that you much be atleast 21 years old, or accompanied by a legal guardian. I assume the other cruise lines have similar restrictions. Does anyone know if they make exceptions for unmarried couples????

I'm almost considering getting married to go on a cruise! , I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years, and we're going to get married, anyway.

Also, we invited my boyfriend's parents to go along with us. If they went with us, would I be able to go, even tho they are not my gaurdians??
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Also, we invited my boyfriend's parents to go along with us. If they went with us, would I be able to go, even tho they are not my gaurdians??
As long as they are over 25
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: SOOOOO annoyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGeffen
Okay, so my boyfriend and I have been planning a cruise for a while now. We have been saving up for months. I am 19 years old, and he is is 21. I just read Carnival's cruise restrictions and it says that you much be atleast 21 years old, or accompanied by a legal guardian. I assume the other cruise lines have similar restrictions. Does anyone know if they make exceptions for unmarried couples????

I'm almost considering getting married to go on a cruise! , I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years, and we're going to get married, anyway.

If someone is under 21-then there has to be a person 25 or older in the stateroom with them-except if they are a married couple on Carnival. I understand though on Princess it is 21-so you could cruise on Princess with your boyfriend.

I know this is upsetting for you and though you may be mature and adult and behave yourself-unfortunately though, many your age are not mature,you can blame this rule on on spring breakers and damage they have done to cruiseships in the past.
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have also read that you need a person of at least 25 years old in the stateroom if you are under 21. You could always just book the rooms with your BF and his dad in one room and you and your bf's mom in another and just switch when you are on board.

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Passenger

The information that I have read as well states that you must be 21 or accompanied by a 25 year old at least. I know that each cruise line might have different restrictions and it is always best to check with each one or with a travel agent who can tell you which one might allow you to travel with your boyfriend if any.
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Yeoman

It is true that if you are under 21 you have to be with someone 25. My BF and I got lucky cause I met the 25 age requirement.

You have 2 choices:
1.) Bring family over 25 and switch rooms while on board
2.) Since you said you were getting married you might file paper work to become a domestic partnership within your state and bring your certified copy on board with you.

If you go the domestic partnership route you have to check within your state on how their laws work. Let us know how it all works out. Good Luck, Carla
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Does this apply to European Cruises, where coming of age is 18?
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion
Does this apply to European Cruises, where coming of age is 18?
I don't think it's about destination. It's a policy that each cruiseline develops.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Because we are taking my 18 year nephews on a cruise this year, I called Carnival to get exact rules. If your BF's parents go, then do as was suggested. Book one of them and one of you in each cabin, then switch after you get on board. The only requirement is that they be adjoining cabins...not interconnected, but next to each other. Guardianship does not matter. Hope it works out for you.
Marty
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Dorothy - that is one cooooooool animation !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Why thanks, Sub!

I've had the rose since I came to cruisemates, oh so long ago, but the little ship clock is new and I love it!

d

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HGeffen
Default ?

Didn't realize this thread was still going. We ended up going on Royal Carribean in March, as they have different age restrictions. I LOVED It.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: SOOOOO annoyed

Quote:
Carnival is very liberal then. Many of the cruise lines require that at least one person in each stateroom must be at least 25 years of age. What that means is that yes, you are gonna need either your folks or his to travel with you. Also, at least on the cruise line records, you're gonna have to list one of his parents with each one of you in a stateroom. Now, what this is gonna mean is that your stateroom key card will be coded for a stateroom door with the key card of one of his parents. Yes, of course, you can swap them once onboard, but then you're gonna have to be really careful to swap them back if you want to purchase something onboard or when you get off at ports and need to go through security. It's gonna be awfully embarassing if you forget and his mom's picture comes up when you go to buy something or get off the ship. If his mom is a lot older than you, it's gonna be obvious you don't have the right card.

The cruise lines don't do this to be hard a**es ... they do it because they've had lots of problems with wild spring breakers on the ships. So they require everyone to have a responsible adult who can be held accountable if anyone underaged is behaving poorly.

Another consideration too ... if you are gonna be traveling with his parents, you have to get your folks to sign and notarize a form saying that his parents have their authority to take you out of the country and to have the power to authorize any emergency medical treatment you may require onboard or in any of the ports. Without this consent form, the cruise line will not permit you to board with your boyfriend or his parents.

Personally, if you were to ask me ... I would advise against a cruise for someone your age. I don't even think getting married would help because you would still be under the age of 25 and would probably still require someone that age or older to be sharing your stateroom. I don't know if being legally married would get around that, although it might.

If I were in your shoes, I would cancel the cruise plans and book a nice island resort for a week. This way you could leave the parents at home and just enjoy the time one-on-one. A cruise can always wait until you are a bit older.

Just my opinion.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: ?

Quote:
Didn't realize this thread was still going. We ended up going on Royal Carribean in March, as they have different age restrictions. I LOVED It.
Just curious ... did they require his parents to be with you? Or did the two of you just book and go on your own?

Frankly, I'll be honest ... I'm surprised at this. I would imagine RCL must really get the wild party crowd then at spring break and summertime.

Blue skies ...

--rita