CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Carnival or Royal Carribean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/328290-carnival-royal-carribean-international.html)

pixie49 February 18th, 2007 05:09 AM

Carnival or Royal Carribean International

I am looking for some help. My other half and I cruised with Princess last November to the carribean and loved it. We are now condsidering a short cruise out of Galveston in March or April this year. As the only cruises availabe are Carnival and RCI I would appreciate your comments to help us to decide which to choose. This time there will be three of us cruising as we will be taken our son who is 20.

Meig February 28th, 2007 01:12 AM

I can't tell you about food or service since I haven't sailed on Carnival, but based on pictures I have seen I can say that the ships' decor is very different. If you are more into glitz, neon, and the Hollywood-glam look, Carnival is for you. IMO, RCI is more refined, more soothing color schemes, more elegance. Carnival ships would make my eyes cross after awhile :D

The cabins on the Carnival ships that do the shorter cruises are usually a bit larger than RCI's, so if cabin space is important to you this should be a consideration. I think levels of service and food would be about the same. Carnvial also has a reputation as being a bit more rowdy than RCI, but that is going to depend on the people sailing a particular cruise.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. You will have a good time on either cruise, and there will be plenty for your son to do as well.

my2boys99 March 26th, 2007 01:38 PM

Our first cruise was on royal carribbean - majersty of seas. We had a very nice experience. The common compliant is the long wait on the elevators but that might be the same for carnival. We will be going on our 2nd cruise which is carnival in july. The staff were all great.

If you do book any excusion just keep in mind that it will take up most of your time. We choose the dolphin swim in naussau and it stated it was approx 3 or 4 hr cannot remember but by the time we got to the ship it was just in time to go back on ship. The good thing is if you book from the ship and they are late they will wait.

I highly recommend the dolphin. However it is very expensive but worrh it.

mehawk July 9th, 2007 04:44 AM

Carnival

AllyGirl13 July 31st, 2007 02:14 PM

Royal gets my vote. But since they are not doing short cruises out of galveston anymore, we are 'stuck' with Carnival. Being 'stuck' with any cruiseline is a happy thing LOL Doing Ecstasy in 30 days!

Grandy August 1st, 2007 06:22 PM

no question about it CARNIVAL

acc82 August 8th, 2007 12:09 AM

i agree with the second poster. i'm loyal to royal. this month, i'll be going on my fifth cruise with them. carnival has a "party boat" reputation, so if that's what you're into, then go for it. plus, the decor and state rooms are somewhat lacking in my opinion. lots of people love carnival but i find that you are either all the way for one or the other. i guees you just have to try them both. but, if you're not young and into the party scene, i'd suggest royal. Their clientele is families and a majority of middle aged people. This is fine with me, as i'm 25, and there are still plenty of young people, but I don't want the shipt to be overrun with people younger than me. :-)

colorcrazie August 8th, 2007 01:17 PM

Just FYI, Carnival's average age would put most people older than you! They've worked hard to lose the party hardy reputation....thankfully!
Marty the elder

Grandy August 8th, 2007 01:29 PM

We are in our late 60's and really enjoy Carnival. We are not party people! I sailed RCC once and never again... cabins are not as comfortable, food is not anyway near as good as Carnival..I could go on and on but to each his own!

Alma December 8th, 2007 09:11 PM

hands down, Royal Carribean, if you like to be treated like royalty--Carnival is great for the party hearty crowd

rescuedad December 31st, 2007 01:49 PM

I have made only 2 cruises, one of each carnival and RCI. Similiar size ships, same balcony room, similiar destinations. I enjoyed carnival but once I sailed RCI I wouldn't go back on carnival unless I had to. RCI was much classier, the atmosphere on the ship was more relaxing and the glitz of carnival was a bit much to the point of almost being gaudy. I found the staff more helpful on RCI but found the kid daycare on carnival to be much better than RCI if that is what you need. As a matter of fact this may be the only reason I would sail carnival again since I have a 7 and 8yo. I found the pool area on RCI much nicer and as an example of class, RCI had more lounges and chairs, never had a problem also RCI has sling chaise and chairs whereas carnival has the home depot white plastic special chairs. overall for a similiar cost RCI is better.

Shirley Jones December 31st, 2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rescuedad
I have made only 2 cruises, one of each carnival and RCI. Similiar size ships, same balcony room, similiar destinations. I enjoyed carnival but once I sailed RCI I wouldn't go back on carnival unless I had to. RCI was much classier, the atmosphere on the ship was more relaxing and the glitz of carnival was a bit much to the point of almost being gaudy. I found the staff more helpful on RCI but found the kid daycare on carnival to be much better than RCI if that is what you need. As a matter of fact this may be the only reason I would sail carnival again since I have a 7 and 8yo. I found the pool area on RCI much nicer and as an example of class, RCI had more lounges and chairs, never had a problem also RCI has sling chaise and chairs whereas carnival has the home depot white plastic special chairs. overall for a similiar cost RCI is better.

:roll: to each their own ! for the price difference I will choose CARNIVAL :!:

melindat05 January 31st, 2008 10:49 PM

Both cruises I've been on were Royal Caribbean so I cant compare to any other cruise line. I can tell you that I loved RC. All the staff were friendly and took excellent care of us, catered to our needs, our room stewards were great! So I can confidently recommend RC.

misguidedangel March 14th, 2008 09:15 PM

I would say Carnival, but that is me. You have to ask yourself what do you want to do. RCI ships, the newer ones, will have sports mided activities like boxing, skating, rock climbing, and on the new Monster class ships a flowrider surf simulator. If you are sport minded and want to climb a rock wall, or ice skate, or box, or attend "enrichment" session then stick with RCI, but if you want fun, fun, fun and more fun, go with Carnival.

If you really want to try something, do a seven-day out of Galveston. Conquest is a wonderful ship--even though the drive from Houston to Galveston is a pain. RCI has Voyager sailing out of there for now too, and that ship has everything I mentioned above.

SO much choice, it is hard to decide!

DianeTexas April 4th, 2008 06:30 AM

RCL VS Carnival

I think carnival is much better than RCL. First off the food is usually excellent. The cabins are better with free samples of shampoo, conditioner, razor etc. The beds are fantastic compared to RCL. Now I must say that RCL drinks are better by far. Carnival has much more activities for all ages. RCL has the same crap on all its ships and it never changes.[/list]

Paul Motter April 4th, 2008 01:28 PM

Speaking for Galveston, which has three ships, I think the main point is not just Carnival vs RCI, but also the specific ships.

First off, if you choose Carnival I would opt for the Conquest as it is much newer than the Ecstacy. Plus, it does a 7-day cruise.

However, do not overlook Voyager of the Seas. You are lucky to have an RCI megaship in your area, there isn't a single on on the whole West Coast, though that is changing next year.

Bothships are great. Conquest is about $200 cheaper per person. But if you have kids I think they will appreciate Voyager more.

I would give Carnival the nod for food and service, But RC has really fun ships with lots of onboard activities and great shows including the ice shows.

Carnival's shows are also good, but no ice show, obviously.

Carnival is a little more crowded in the public areas, but the cabins are bigger, but on RC you can get an inside cabin with a view.

Bottom line, I would take them both and then YOU decide which one you like better. Both are good values and worth a try.

MyLady April 21st, 2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandy
We are in our late 60's and really enjoy Carnival. We are not party people! I sailed RCC once and never again... cabins are not as comfortable, food is not anyway near as good as Carnival..I could go on and on but to each his own!

That's funny - perception is everything I guess. The worst cruise I ever had was on Carnival - the carpet was moldy and I'm allergic to mold - the food in the dining room and anywhere was way below par and absolutely no comparison to RCL. Of course the RCL's were transatlantics and Carnival was a 5 or 7 dayer. Still - the condition of the boat, The Triumph, was terrible a was the food.

On the other hand I'd be willing to try Carnival again on one of their brand new boats, say The Freedom and see if it was any better.

susierphillips April 30th, 2008 04:18 PM

Been on both and would have to give the nod to Royal. Best service ever overall. But, I've enjoyed Carnival very much too but Royal felt less crowded at all times.

Joe323 June 18th, 2008 02:38 PM

Flip a coin cause this debate is like the chicken & egg question lol

cruisedemon June 24th, 2008 12:13 PM

Like others have said it depends on the ship. Carnival's ships out of the Port of Miami are floating rat holes IMO. Yet Carnival out of Tampa is a whole different experience.

You need to check the ship over the company.

kerenegade June 24th, 2008 02:50 PM

I prefer the RCL my husband prefers the CCL ---both are great but for a relaxing cruise --I would chose the RCL for kids I would think the Carnival but I have to admit anything but the NCL works for me
Kathy

CEKelly April 27th, 2009 01:37 PM

First time poster, experienced cruiser!

I have been on both and I tend to lean towards RCI. We are planning our 1st anniversary in the Mexican Riviera, we have narrowed it to three choices Carnival, Princess and RCI.

I wasn't that happy with Carnival, there aren't enough activities onboard for people who aren't sleeping it off from the night before. LOL Karaoke 3 times a day just didn't cut it for me. On RCI we had line dancing, ballroom dancing instruction, horse racing and quite a few more choices.

It will be the 1st cruise for my DH and he wants a balcony so we are doing a lot of research. All the prices are pretty much the same so it comes down to availability and excursions.

Chris