CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   20's couple, 1st time Cruise seekers general advice please! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/329690-20s-couple-1st-time-cruise-seekers-general-advice-please.html)

versity March 11th, 2007 04:29 PM

20's couple, 1st time Cruise seekers general advice please!

Hello, my husband and I have been married and out of college for a few years and working and are ready to start planning a vacation. I guess the ad is a little misleading, because I actually went on a cruise (a Carnival ship to the Caribbean, cant remember the ship name) with my family when I was still in college and single and loved it (except that I thought it would be way more fun if I was there with a significant other). He, however has never been and we have been seriously considering it for our vacation.

However, rather than just booking something online, I thought it might be a good idea to do some research first and happened upon this site, which is excellent by the way. I guess I am just looking for general advice about times of the year, ships, cruise lines, finding a travel agent, etc.

I guess my priorities would be good food, fun activities for couples, and of course getting a reasonable deal. If anyone has any suggestions, or advice that would be great.

Donna March 14th, 2007 07:13 PM

I think either Carnival or Royal Caribbean would best fit your needs for your next cruise. You'd need to decide on an itinary that you want and then pick a ship.

Some of the larger "Voyager" or "Freedom" class ships that Royal Caribbean has, have even more activities than the Carnival ships. If you want a real active type cruise, I'd try out a Freedom class, with the flow rider on the back. You'd also have rock climbing, ice skating, inline skating, etc.

If you preffer an even less active cruise, you may enjoy Princess or Celebrity as well, both have good food and decent entertainment. Since being on Freedom of the Seas, I've yet to see better entertainment, the shows after dinner were amazing, plus they have an ice show thats worth seeing too.

subtropic March 14th, 2007 08:50 PM

Donna has covered the main issues. I would opt for a seven day / night cruise to the Caribbean (either East or West) with the West usually a port in Mexico, plus Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and maybe Labadee or Key West. The Eastern cruise is usually St. Thomas, St. Martin, and perhaps a port in the Bahamas, or Puerto Rico, etc. Either one has a nice mix of cultures and island scenery and attractions.

JCAS5599 March 15th, 2007 07:29 PM

ROYAL!!!

I HAVE BEEN ON TWO CRUISES SO FAR- BOTH ARE NICE IN DIFFERENT WAYS.
FOR ME PERSONALLY - ROYAL CARIBBEAN!!!!!!

I AM ABOUT TO GO ON NORWEGIAN FOR THE FIRST TIME, SO I CAN'T COMMENT ON THAT YET.

THEY TREAT YOU LIKE A GODDESS ON ROYAL- THEY CUT MY FOOD FOR ME!!! MY WAITER GOT MAD CAUSE I DID NOT EAT IN THE RESTAURANT ONE NIGHT- HERE I THOUGHT I WAS DOING HIM A FAVOR!!! LOL

AMAZING SERVICE - NO ATTITUDES, NO PROBLEM WITH DECK CHAIRS!!!!!!!

adias.angel March 16th, 2007 09:55 AM

My BF and I are also a mid-20's couple. He just took me on my first cruise for my birthday last week on CCL Inspiration.

First what kind of couple are you and DH. Are you more into dancing & drinking or are you looking for more integrative type events (eg games, etc.)? Also I found out a big differentiation is if you are sun people. Do you like to swim and layout by the pool? Carla ;)

Rirruto March 18th, 2007 01:38 PM

I was in your same position last year. MY gf and I are both in our young 20s and she had never been on a cruise and I had only been on one cruise with my family as a teenager. We decided on a 4 night cruise with Carnival which went to Cozumel, Mexico and Key West in late April. We had an unbelievable time and it was very affordable. We booked through Travelocity. We will be going on another cruise also in late April, also booked with Travelocity and got a past passenger discount and upgrade. It seems to be a great time to go. There weren't really any college spring breakers or too many kids, and the price was still cheap since it wasn't peak summer time yet. I highly recommend Carnival, especially for first time cruisers. Good to great food, good entertainment, excellent service, great price.

Kareberry January 19th, 2008 02:26 PM

I'm sort of in the same situation except I like more active cruises so night clubs, lots of activities, morning yoga classes...

But my significant other is 29 and I'm 23...kind of having a hard time choosing between Carnival and Royal Caribbean...

I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much if there were too many kids running around and screaming either!

IneedaVaca January 23rd, 2008 10:07 PM

Same here yha'll

My honey and I are trying to decide between RC and CCL. I have narrowed it down to a Feb or April out of Galveston for 7 nights. We can hit Montego Bay, Cayman Islands and Cozumel. The price is about the same for either line. The only difference I can find with the two ships in Royal Caribbean has a bit more to do. And I've heard numerous times that Carnival is geared toward the younger crowd (which we are- I'm 25 and he's 28). So I cannot decide!! :roll: I need to book this thing already and each has the same basic line up as far a 2 formal nights, same ports.... just don't really know where to go from here.

TravelBugs January 24th, 2008 12:54 PM

Re: Same here yha'll

Quote:

Originally Posted by IneedaVaca
My honey and I are trying to decide between RC and CCL. I have narrowed it down to a Feb or April out of Galveston for 7 nights. We can hit Montego Bay, Cayman Islands and Cozumel. The price is about the same for either line. The only difference I can find with the two ships in Royal Caribbean has a bit more to do. And I've heard numerous times that Carnival is geared toward the younger crowd (which we are- I'm 25 and he's 28). So I cannot decide!! :roll: I need to book this thing already and each has the same basic line up as far a 2 formal nights, same ports.... just don't really know where to go from here.

If all variables are equal-----eenie, meenie, minee, moe? LOL

Nikkita77 February 11th, 2008 01:15 AM

I AGREE WE ARE GOING ON RRL IN APRIL BEEN ON CCL 2 JUST THIS PAST DEC 2007. CARNIVAL is definitely a ship for youg people we are 30 and 32, we do have small kids but the kids progaram allowed us to party til 2 am . we did the mardi gras midnight party tons of old and young partying dnacing and acting wild. t he clubs are awesome henri disco plays all kids of music. enjoyed the trivia it was great. you can just cut loose. and the kids are around but they are no more annoying than some one who has had to much to drink. when i come back from royal i will post my thought. eventough on the conquest we missed our 2 main ports the crew, the shows and the fun never stopped

My2cents March 9th, 2008 06:24 PM

East Carribean If You Can Afford It

Which Cruise?
I've sailed on Western, Eastern and Southern Carribean Cruises (multiple times). My favorite is the Eastern Carribean (save southern for the winter months & it's more expensive).

Which CruiseLine?
All have families and kids running around...fewer on the highend lines (Celebrity) but I think Carnival has more because they tend to be cheaper and families can afford it. There is more of a Las Vegas style show on Carnival if you prefer that and a lot of "spring break" atmosphere along with greater numbers of the 20 something crowd. I prefer Norwegian or Royal Carribean, as they have a broader mix and better quality shows (less raunchy). Sailing on my first Princess cruise this summer (to alaska).

Bottom Line:
You'll have fun no matter what...if you visit the carribean!