CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Alcohol consumption (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/332202-alcohol-consumption.html)

dkidd99 April 23rd, 2007 08:43 PM

Alcohol consumption

My wife and I are planning our first cruise and were trying to figure out the situation with alcohol on board. I assume it is not included in the price, so what are the going rates? Do you have to pay as you go, or do you get surprised with a fat bill at the end???

Thanks

ready2gonow April 23rd, 2007 08:52 PM

The cost of the drinks will vary from $4-$6 or so (for mixed drinks). All purchases will be put on your sign and sail card added to your account. At any time during the cruise you can find out how much is on your account by going to the purser's desk. I don't like surprises (like that!).

Happy cruising!

lauriloo April 23rd, 2007 11:10 PM

or you can keep all the receipts and keep track that way

Marc April 24th, 2007 05:22 AM

Re: Alcohol consumption

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkidd99
My wife and I are planning our first cruise and were trying to figure out the situation with alcohol on board. I assume it is not included in the price, so what are the going rates? Do you have to pay as you go, or do you get surprised with a fat bill at the end???

Thanks

Which cruise line? On Regent, alcohol is included. It is also included on Seabourn, Silversea, and (I think) Windstar.

seadog2 April 24th, 2007 02:55 PM

I don't drink but I do keep track of what is being spent on board. lauriloo's post is the way I keep track. I also check with the purser's desk to get the accurate talley.

Desdemona01 April 24th, 2007 05:15 PM

Re: Alcohol consumption

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkidd99

Thanks

Which cruise line? On Regent, alcohol is included. It is also included on Seabourn, Silversea, and (I think) Windstar.

It's not included on HAL, for one.

Trip April 24th, 2007 05:17 PM

I remember on one cruise, some guys in the pool were comparing bar tabs....one guy had a tab higher than the cost of the cruise! Check as you cruise, mistakes are made, we have caught several over the years.

hawkeye 68 April 25th, 2007 12:16 PM

always go for the drink of the day, its the cheapest buy, if you like beer always get a bucket, its cheaper that way, you get a receipt with each purchase so you can keep up with spending, on some ships you can pull up your sign and sail account on tv to keep up. i wish carnival would include alcohol in their price, cruising would double!

DougR. April 25th, 2007 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeye 68
always go for the drink of the day, its the cheapest buy, if you like beer always get a bucket, its cheaper that way, you get a receipt with each purchase so you can keep up with spending, on some ships you can pull up your sign and sail account on tv to keep up. i wish carnival would include alcohol in their price, cruising would double!

As would the prices.

Fruitcake April 25th, 2007 04:05 PM

If you go for the drink o' the day, ask that it be made up fresh ...
The pre-mixed stuff isn't as good.

I know some land-based bartenders who've told me tales about the pre-mixed stuff. :shock:

Mike M April 25th, 2007 07:40 PM

The cost of drinks will vary greatly. Beer may be as low as $3.00 and premium martini type drinks may be as high as $10 to $12. Wine by the bottle can range from $15 to $XXX.

The suggestions you have received are very good ones. Drinks of the day are a good way to keep your totals down. Beer and wine, by the glass, will usually be in the $3 - $5.00 range.

All mainstream cruise lines charge for alcoholic drinks. Only the luxury lines include most alcohol with your cruise fare. The mainstream lines are: Carnival, Holland America, Princess, Celebrity, Costa, NCL, Royal Caribbean, etc. The luxury lines are the ones that Marc listed, except Windstar (they do charge and they have smaller cabins but beautiful ships). The luxury lines usually have a higher cost per passenger for the lowest category cabin even if you do not consume alcohol. Then again the lowest category cabin isn't a 142 sq. ft.

Take care,
Mike

Dhill February 20th, 2011 10:44 AM

allright its time for the dumb question of the day what the heck is a bucket of beer?

Mike M February 20th, 2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhill (Post 1353712)
allright its time for the dumb question of the day what the heck is a bucket of beer?

Not a dumb question at all. It isn't a bucket full of tap beer. ;)

It is usually a plastic bucket with four or five beers in it and then filled with ice to keep them cold. The "bucket" is about the size of a 5 quart ice cream bucket. The pricing is usually that you buy four and get the fifth free.

Here are some cruisers enjoying "multiple" buckets of beer.

http://brandiandboys.com/images/dsc02207.jpg

Take care,
Mike

sergej February 20th, 2011 02:22 PM

If you take AIDA (sure you don't
but if ))::

then you can drink red or white wine free of charge at the main
meels - the wine , and sparkling water is included in prize on Aida.

(in Bar of cource not)