Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Admiral

My opinion on why upgrades happen, and it seems logical, is the closer a cruise gets to departure, the cruise line is more likely to want to have the higher category cabins booked and if they cannot fill them all with people that booked that category they start upgrading people. It makes more business sense to upgrade someone to a higher level, encouraging repeat business, while leaving a few cheap cabins unoccupied, than to leave the more expensive ones unoccupied, thus ulitmately costing them more money. Basically it amounts to luck of the draw most of the time it would seem. Who knows, I might be lucky enough to recieve an upgrade from a Category 1A(Inside Single) to an Oceanview(I wouldn't expect more if I were lucky enough to get one) but we will see.
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Admiral

You are almost right. If the ship is too empty close to sailing, they start upgrading. Pleasing those already booked doesn't hurt, but the primary reason is that it is easier to sell the cheapest cabins. Move everyone up the cabin hierarchy, then slash budget priced cabins to the bone. The ship gets more bookings, loses less money than discounting expensive cabins and a few folks get killer last minute deals. Plus, advertising really inexpensive cruises is good PR. Doesn't happen as much as it used to, it seems, but we used to jump on those a lot.
Marty
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Admiral

The inexpensive cruise thing is how I plan to sell my first group cruise. Give them a rebate from my commission plus spreading out the value of the free cabins, and make them even more happy with an already low fare. Since I am giving a rebate from my commission it would build customer loyalty and it would not be breaking any of the cruise lines rules. A very good marketing strategy indeed.
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Captain

Do you get upgraded when you book a guaranteed or just any room?

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Admiral

They can upgrade any cabin, but I think they start with guarantees. I don't know if the lines start looking to push other pax up as cheaper cabins begin to reach some capacity control.

Just remember with a guarantee you can be at tle lowest category that you are guaranteed. And probably most likely so if the ship is not crowded.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

We took a 34 day South Pacific to Hawaii repositioning in May 2007. We booked an outside guarantee and were thrilled to find our assigned stateroom had a balcony!! Not such a big deal on a short cruise- HEAVEN on an extended cruise!! Bless you Cruise Fairy!! Now if you will be so kind on the 74 day cruise I just booked- I will love you forever!!