CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   What Do you Shlep?:) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/332459-what-do-you-shlep.html)

Trip April 29th, 2007 12:07 AM

What Do you Shlep?:)

What's "THE MOST" important thing you bring along on a cruise, that if you forgot to pack it, it would make you crazy! Discounting meds, things like that.

I think the all important power strip, might do me in, with all my plug ins...

I have seen people carrying pillows onboard, once I saw someone bringing on a chair..Don't ask me why, no one could figure that one out. Another time we saw, someone with, like a big air purifier. Someone I know brings along her own pillow cases.

Your must have?

nlb1050 April 29th, 2007 11:41 AM

A good camera is a must have for us. Need those photos of the islands.

Don't need the power strip, only thing we need to plug in the battery charger, at night. We don't use the cell phones and don't even have a notebook style computer. Don't need the shoe holder, everything we would need that for fits nicely in our toiletry bags.

Mike M April 29th, 2007 02:11 PM

Laptop and powerstrip. They both easily fit in my carry on. I often bring a 300x spotting scope. It's great to be able to see ships in the distance and it was wonderful for Alaska. I haven't brought it on the last few Caribbean or any overseas cruises.

One person's schlep is another's neccessity. LOL

Take care,
Mike

JamesRT April 29th, 2007 02:21 PM

Mam,
The most important thing I bring is Joyce,next on the list would be binoculars. I never forget the second! :wink: LOL

colorcrazie April 29th, 2007 02:37 PM

Compact white noise machine. While newer ships seem to have better sound proofing, I have a sleep disorder and wake up at tiniest "foreign" sound. Plus, I'm used to sleeping with it, so that in itself helps me sleep.
Marty
Oh, and hubby...guess that makes him an afterthought! (Just kidding, dear.) :wink:

Marc April 29th, 2007 07:01 PM

Packing is pretty easy for us; we usually pack the night before and don't have much of a list. Although I sometimes bring a laptop, I never bring a power strip. Since most of our cruises are to places other than Caribbean, we usually leave the snorkel gear at home. Over Christmas, we do bring a small tree. If a cruise has multiple formal nights, I will bring a separate cumberbund/tie for tuxedo for each formal night. If there are at least three formal nights, I will bring my dinner jacket also. Otherwise, nothing special.

seadog2 April 30th, 2007 12:08 AM

CASH!!! 8)

cruisechk6 April 30th, 2007 04:51 PM

Deoderant! ~ Because no matter what you will always smell good! :-P

ready2gonow April 30th, 2007 07:41 PM

[quote="cruisechk6"]Deoderant! ~ Because no matter what you will always smell good! :-P[/quote

Actually the thought that came to mind is my perfume! ~ Because no matter what you will always smell good! LOL LOL

Truthfully, it is my hair dryer, hair spray! and make-up!

Phyllbo April 30th, 2007 07:52 PM

My curling iron. Think I'd be lost without that. Of course I guess I could visit the salon each day. :-)

Phyll

Delft April 30th, 2007 11:18 PM

Hands down the power bar. That's cause I got to charge batterys for the video camera , dig camera( two of them) mp3 players( 2 of them) curling irons, laptop.

BetWes May 1st, 2007 06:16 AM

My toothbrush and tooth paste!

paddletoe53 May 1st, 2007 12:09 PM

my passport, travel doc and cash can't get very far with out these

Divemaster May 1st, 2007 12:54 PM

#1 = Passports, tickets and travel documents
#2 = Carryon luggage
#3 = Checked luggage

Gets real interesting if #1, which is usually inside #2, is left behind. LOL

BTW, aside from all manner of dive gear, kiddo and I have brought baseball bats and gloves, large metal shovels, rafts, remote controlled submarines, kites, trains and a potato clock aboard. If you have kiddos they can grab fruits and veggies from the buffet to generate electricity with a potato clock. 8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddletoe53
my passport, travel doc and cash can't get very far with out these

lisa tberry May 4th, 2007 12:59 AM

okay, I gotta know what is a potato clock?

For me it's SUNGLASSES, and my highlighter to map my daily activities.

Divemaster May 4th, 2007 01:36 AM

Hi Lisa:

Zinc and copper annodes are hooked to positive and negative terminals of a small electronic clock. A fruit or vegetable is pierced by the annodes and the acid inside serves as battery acid. Think phosporic acid (potato) citric acid (lemon), the acid in tomatoes and etc. Cool, especially if you don't tell the kiddos about the physics and hook up a candy bar to show how the clock doesn't run - must be a bad food with no energy. LOL

Here's a picture - http://www.kidsgardeningstore.com/22-1053.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa tberry
okay, I gotta know what is a potato clock?

For me it's SUNGLASSES, and my highlighter to map my daily activities.

trarecar May 5th, 2007 11:29 AM

My husband's c-pac machine so that I can get some sleep. LOL

heatherandfred May 19th, 2007 11:50 AM

This trip I'm actually bringing some Lysol...I don't plan to get sick