CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Taking food and drink off the ship (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/333484-taking-food-drink-off-ship.html)

Jeff Voegtlin May 19th, 2007 05:40 PM

Taking food and drink off the ship

I am taking a Mediteranean Cruise in a few weeks. The weather is hot and I was thinking about carrying a camelback with water in it when I get off the ship. Then I thought.... maybe I could pack some snacks along also.

Someone asked me if we would be allowed to do that since some customs regulations probably prohibit bringing food, plants, etc. into their countries.

Has anybody ever done this or is it allowed?

Thanks in advance.

mehawk May 19th, 2007 05:44 PM

I have taken bottled water and energy bars off before.

CA Cruiser May 19th, 2007 06:41 PM

Some ports you are prohibited from taking any cruise foods and fruit off the ship. Plan ahead and pack granola bars, peanut butter/crackers, trail mix, etc.

shandy5165 May 19th, 2007 09:23 PM

I ALWAYS come prepared. When I go on shore I bring plenty of water and lots of snacks: like most people have said: granola bars, trail mix, nuts, crakers etc. Saves money as well..Plenty to eat on the ship

Jeff Voegtlin May 19th, 2007 11:10 PM

Does the water have to be in a bottle, or can it be in a hydration pack?

CA Cruiser May 20th, 2007 12:42 AM

We always take a 6 pack of water and 12 pack of Pepsi in our carry on, no problem. If we run out of water, we refill the bottles with the ships water.

froggie620 May 31st, 2007 04:03 PM

I don't see why you can't use a hydration pack, especially since you will be in the Mediteranean; it'll be easier to carry a Camel Back than several bottles of water. I agree with everyone else here on the food, only because we've been there, tried it and it didn't work. If you try and bring fruit or food off the ship they will take it away from you before you even disembark. You can also bring Dried Fruit along with snack bars, that shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure your snacks are not too salty (know what I mean). 8)

Phil&Liz June 27th, 2007 12:54 PM

Only thing I could see with using the alternative container is how are the security people to know if its water or local liquor, since they take any liquor you bring onboard away.

Phil & Liz

Nothin but blue skies July 15th, 2007 04:40 PM

Taking food off the ship

We took the Freedom Grand Med Cruise in May. We took bottled water each day and one day I took a fresh pear from the breakfast buffet. I ate it on the Carnival Excursion bus and no one said anything to me. I guess they just missed it when I was leaving the ship. I know of other couples who took deli sandwiches off the ship at Naples by putting them in zip loc bags and putting them in their cabin refrigerator overnight.

We were going to do this and ordered sandwiches from room service the night before. I put them in zip-loc bags and put the in the refrigerator. Then we forgot to take them. They were not in our refrigerator when we returned to the ship. A few days later, we found them. The steward had placed them in the closet and we only found them because of the odor LOL. Had to move all of our clothes to the other closet and spray several times with oust to get rid of the odor.

mehawk July 15th, 2007 07:53 PM

Looking at it, it appears that if the food and beverages are in a factory sealed container, then they are ok to take off the ship.

cateyes2u July 28th, 2007 03:18 PM

I have taken water and even made a few sandwitches in the dining room, and have never had a problem.

PJ

cherylyoungklein August 1st, 2007 05:40 PM

We were not in Europe but I took a larger model, 1-1/2 liter hydration Camelback pack with water that was stuffed with granola bars, wet towelettes, beach towels, camera, and personal items. No one physically looked at it or it's contents...but I think it did go through Xray(?) I liked it because it was hands-free traveling. The kids ran out of their bottled water and were drinking water from my hydration pack during out hot day trip to the ruins. I like to eat out and enjoy a "foreign" meal when we are in new cities/countries so we budget for it.