Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:39 PM
Beginner

Default Cruising in November/December out of New Jersey????

So, my fiance and I are getting married on November 17. We have been going crazy researching honeymoon options for over a month....looking at everything from Sandals to Hawaii to a cruise. I have to admit, I really don't like to fly and that was part of the reason Hawaii was vetoed (that and the expense). We love cruising, so we decided to start looking that way & were thrilled when we found a 12 day cruise leaving out of New Jersey on RCCL (we have sailed RCCL 2 times before) Explorer of the Seas. It was going great places & we wouldn't have to fly (1 1/2 hours to drive to Jersey from Philly). We booked online ourselves.

So, we were near a travel agent one day and asked if she had better prices or better cabin selections. From that day on, she has been calling and emailing trying to convince us that this cruise isn't for us. She says it will be cold in Dec. (obviously) and no one will be out on the decks for the 4 days at sea. I question this because once we get near Georgia/Florida, it should definitely warm up. Also, she said when you cruise in Nov./Dec., the water is much rougher and we won't have a good time.

Has anyone on here ever sailed at this time of year out of a cold climate (not Florida)? Did you have any problems? I think that there might be some truth to what she's saying, but mostly, I think she is trying to change our minds so we cancel and book with her for another cruise.

Please give me your opinion on sailing out in the late fall early winter out of a colder climate!!!!! She has really freaked me out and now I am worried we will have a horrible time!

Thanks in advance!

Amy
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Cruising out of the north in the winter months, I think you can reasonably expect at least a day and a half, maybe two... on cool weather each way.

That's no reason to worry about not having a good time though. They'll have plenty of indoor activities planned for those days, if as honeymooners you can't find something to do

Plus.. since it's a 12 day cruise, you'll still have 8 days of sunshine to enjoy.

I'd stick with the plan and have a great honeymoon.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
Admiral

We cruised out of New York in March 06 and Dec 28th 06 for new years cruise. It is of course cool the day you board. The first day was not bad at all, in the March cruise we wore Jeansd and t shirts. Younger folk were in hot tubs and such. The second day, shorts and t shirts.

The last cruise which left Dec 28th, was beautiful, I woke up in the morning expecting jeans, t shirt and jacket, went back to the cabin and wore capri's and t shirts...........and the second day we were in bathing suits watching the ice carving around the pools.

I have known many people who take cruises out of New York on NCL year always around New Years eve and they said always by day two the weather is beautiful unless of course it is rain.

The first cruise, the last day of the cruise was T shirts and shorts in the morning and jeans in the afternoon with jackets. The New Years eve cruise was capri's the last day and when we arrived in New York, we didnt even need winter coats, it was beautiful weather!

The year before that, leaving New York, the ship keft late from a huge snow storm but my friend on the cruise tells me she was out doors the first day in jeans and sweater on running track and it was sunny.

I have found that first night and last night, you really feel that ship clipping away...........they clearly make a sharp dive south and into good weather.