Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Passenger

Default Passports

We applied for passports at the end of March and are sailing July 18th. They say they are being processed. Any ideas or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Just keep waiting. It took me almost 10 weeks to get mine. They have a HUGE backlog to process.

Need some cruise help?
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Passenger

Keep waiting. I applied at the beginning of March, mine was due in 10 weeks, which would have been a Monday, I got it 2 day early. How long are they saying it should take? FYI, I heard on the news that at the moment, due to the huge backlog, they will take your receipt and government ID (might have just been the airlines though, didn't hear the whole story) in case your passport doesn't come in before you leave.
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

It appears the americana re now having the problems the Canadian government was having at the end of last year to early this year--they need a passport. The Canadian government took the steps early and told everyone middle of last year to get one because they didin't know the exact date wen it would be required by US custom. up to December, they had brisk/steady business, as of January-March the wait to drop off your application was 8 hours.....Processing time is around 10 weeks for a Canadian passport.

I read in the paper today that for those americans waiting for their passports and their travel date happens before it arrives they can use a photo id and show the receipt to prove they did appy for the passport.

It is crazy that it takes so long, I think the government goofed up big time when they decided to implement this new policy. However, I don't think it would be any different if it was phased in because there will be people who just don't remember they need a passport until a short time before they leave for their trip...
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I read in the paper today that for those americans waiting for their passports and their travel date happens before it arrives they can use a photo id and show the receipt to prove they did appy for the passport.
If all you have is a receipt then it doesn't prove that you were even approved for the passport just that you applied. Kind of kills the point of the passport....