Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to kccruisin'
Default Online Booking Agency

I received the cheapest quote from this online agency and was wondering if anyone as ever done business with them before? www.affordabletours.com
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Passenger

Default Booking Myself!

No I havent I do mine directly through the Cruise Lines and to tell you the truth I get it cheaper by doing it myself and I do the Hotels directly in the City Im cruising out of, check it out yourself do some research and save some money! Also your dealing directly and no middle person to have to keep up with and depending on them to do it! I got a Extended Balcony for $619.00 PP on The Conquest, Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort in Galveston for $124.00 Per Night With Ocean View!

Old June 16th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Booking Myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS CRUISER
No I havent I do mine directly through the Cruise Lines and to tell you the truth I get it cheaper by doing it myself and I do the Hotels directly in the City Im cruising out of, check it out yourself do some research and save some money! Also your dealing directly and no middle person to have to keep up with and depending on them to do it! I got a Extended Balcony for $619.00 PP on The Conquest, Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort in Galveston for $124.00 Per Night With Ocean View!
By do it yourself are you using a Carnival rep.? I'm trying to book on the Conquest and the cheapest I've found so far for a June, 2008 to Montego Bay is $1062 including taxes and port charges. Maybe I should wait until later to see if the prices go down?
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Carnival prices are the same no matter where you look online - at carnival.com or at a cruise agency web site. The biggest factor in a price is being flexible in which week you sail, especially if youare looking at last-minute bargains.

I can look at Conquest - and these are the EXACT SAME SHIP, CABINS, ITINERARIES - the only thing changing is the saildate. And look at the variance in price:

date inside oceanview balcony suite

August 5 949 USD 1079 USD 1199 USD
August 12 1029 US 1119 USD 1299 USD 2079 USD
August 19 829 USD 919 USD 1049 USD 1279 USD
August 26 729 USD 799 USD 949 USD 1329 USD
Septem 2 689 USD 849 USD 1229 USD
Septem 9 679 USD 729 USD 879 USD 1219 USD
Septem 16 649 USD 729 USD 899 USD 1219 USD
Septem 23 629 USD 679 USD 879 USD 1219 USD
Septem 30 579 USD 679 USD 879 USD 1219 USD
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If you surf the web for CArnival pricing, at best you are going to find the same price. Carnival doesn't allow agencies to ADVERTISE prices lower than their own other than group space.

BUT... If u contact agencies directly you can normally find even lower prices than by booking directly with CArnival, because though they aren't allowed to advertise the lower prices, they are allowed to discount the price!!
If you can't find prices lower than Carnival's own price, it just means you haven't found the right agency yet.
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I was going to say that - but I am starting to think that is people do not know this already they haven't been reading our articles, which is a BIG mistake.

Folks - PLEASE go to our consumer affairs section and read all the various articles about how travel agencies work. There are many ways to save money, and buying direct is NOT the best choice in any case.
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm not schilling for the company but the advice that Paul and Kuki have given is correct. I like to save money and I don't have a great love of a lot of travel agents but you have to shop around for Carnival cruises. You MUST contact an agency to get a lower price than what is advertised.

The cruise line will not always give you the best price or will it always give you the best service.

Royal Caribbean will not allow any agent to sell a cruise (other than group space) for less than you can buy it directly from Royal Caribbean but Carnival is not quite so "Draconian" in their practices.

Here is a link to one of our Consumer Affairs articles that Kuki explains things fairly well. Click the link below for the information.

Pick up the phone.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for all the information. I will be catching up on the reading suggested and keep watching for better deals
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Sort of ironic, but for the last cruise, I got Carnival to reduce the price quite a bit more than I could get any agent to so I suppose it depends on who you talk to and what day of the week/month it is. In looking into a cruise this fall, it still seems as Carnival will still beat any agent I have talked to, with past guest specials, military, and such.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
In looking into a cruise this fall, it still seems as Carnival will still beat any agent I have talked to, with past guest specials, military, and such.
All I can say to this is... then you are going to the wrong travel agents. Carnival is also not allowed to sell their cruises for less than the travel agents are capable of selling the cruise for. They are not in business to undercut the travel agents, because as much as they might like to, they can't undercut and alienate travel agents who are their "life blood". Travel agents are able to get the same military rates etc that Carnival offers.

There are always going to be agencies that will charge MORE, because that is the pricing policies they set to maintain profit levels they deem acceptable. But there are also always going to be agencies which charge LESS because they feel they can rebate some of their commissions to their customers (and CArnival allows them to do this).

While there's no steadfast rule that ALWAYS work in EVERY case, and there's no ONE agency that is going to have the best price EVERY time in all the cruises I've researched over the years, I've found that many people check with companies like Expedia or Travelecity, etc. (brand recognition I suppose). And those are often the agencies with the highest prices.
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Sure, I understand all of that. However, as I said, and I never use Travelocity nor Expedia, Carnival beat everyone I checked with for my cruise last fall. Then when checking on some past guest specials and military rates for this fall, they still quoted better prices than anyone else I talked to. I'm not trying to explain it, just reporting my experience. I have talked to quite a few TA's (online), since we don't have a local TA that would come anywhere near anyone else.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Default BOOKING

I get better deals by doing it mysellllllf and I ony have to deal directly through the Cruise Lines and its free! If you check around the TA's have the same deals or are higher and charge a fee! I used a TA Once and it was a mess, My Hotel wasnt confirmed when I arrived My Cruise Documents werent delivered ontime, so I do all my own booking! I get better prices than a TA, But I also Go In Sept, Oct! And I get a Military Discount! Its just my own personal preference and "NO" Im Not a TA, or schill for anyone, And I can get better deals than a TA Because Ive checked them all and do my Research! Ive been doing my own bookings for 7 Years Now and havent been disappointed or anything gone wrong with My Own Booking! As I said Its my own personal preference, you can do it your way and there are good TA's, Im just a hands on Person~! I hope no one takes what Ive said out of pretext or takes it the wrong way!And Bobby_G, I got a $80.00 Price Drop as well from the Carnival PVP! Best Regards to everyone!

Old June 18th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: BOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS CRUISER
I get better deals by doing it mysellllllf and I ony have to deal directly through the Cruise Lines and its free! If you check around the TA's have the same deals or are higher and charge a fee! I used a TA Once and it was a mess, My Hotel wasnt confirmed when I arrived My Cruise Documents werent delivered ontime, so I do all my own booking! I get better prices than a TA, But I also Go In Sept, Oct! And I get a Military Discount! Its just my own personal preference and "NO" Im Not a TA, or schill for anyone, And I can get better deals than a TA Because Ive checked them all and do my Research! Ive been doing my own bookings for 7 Years Now and havent been disappointed or anything gone wrong with My Own Booking! As I said Its my own personal preference, you can do it your way and there are good TA's, Im just a hands on Person~! I hope no one takes what Ive said out of pretext or takes it the wrong way!And Bobby_G, I got a $80.00 Price Drop as well from the Carnival PVP! Best Regards to everyone!
EXACTLY
So whoever thinks Carnival or probably other lines don't undersell TA's.....

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten