Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Beginner

Default HELP! Never been on a cruise..need advice

Hi,
We have never been on a cruise and plan on taking our family of 5 on one this next March. There are 5 of us...kids are 21, 21 & 17. Trying to get a family vacation in before all are moved away. We have no idea where to begin. There are so many crusie lines.

We would like to go on a western caribbean cruise...only a 3-5 day.
Would be nice to be all in the same room or we can be in seperate ones also...unless it is to pricey.

Just so you know us a bit....we are casual so really not into having to dress up to go out to dinner but that is not that important. We love the outdoors and sports. My wife loves shopping (go figure).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Tough question....everyone has their preferences as far as cruise lines are concerned. I would start by reading cruise ship reviews on this web site. Some cruise lines are geared towards an older crowd, younger crowd, party people, etc. All the cruise lines visit the same ports and offer basically the same shore excursions. Be aware that the cruise lines generally use the older ships for the shorter cruises. Not that there is anything wrong with them, they just don't have all the bells and whistles as the newer ships. Five adults in one room is really pushing it. I've been in a room with four and that was very challenging. As far as the Caribbean is concerned, if you like water activities, the western and eastern itineraries both have lots to offer. After many cruises, our family prefers the eastern itinerary. We all love to snorkel, enjoy water sports, etc. There is shopping available at every port, some a lot better than others.
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

First of all, go for a seven day and not a three-five day because you don't get tthe full expereinece. Book a balcony cabin, for you and the hubby and an inside for the kids (heck, you're paying, they got to stay where you tell em!). Asd for which cruise line, based on their ages go with Royal Caribbean, Carnival, or Norwegian--check their websites out to find out which is right for you and your kin.

If you don't get motion sick, then no worries!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Passenger

I agree with MGA go for the 7 day first. We've done 13 with Royal Car. and a few with Carnival and both are good choices. You say you don't care for dressing for dinner? Go with Carnival. Their 'Formal' nights are more lax than Royal. My personal advice is to book early. Pick a ship & see what cabins are available and pick the ones you want. I suggest 2 cabins as to you will have more bathrooms (2 as opposed to 1 for all of you and is generally cheaper). If you book early enough, try to find cabins near the elevator and near the middle of the ship. You will do enough walking around the ship and if there happens to be rough seas you'll appreciate being centered. Keep us posted in your choice! Chances are some of us have been on the ship you choose!
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Admiral

I will go out on a limb here - judging by the comments and the ages of the kids - Freedom Of The Seas on a 7 night cruise to the Western Caribbean. Just keep an eye on them in Jamaica ! This ship has it all as I have said for a multi-generational group like no other.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 8th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Dave, you have come to the right place with your questions!
I would also recommend Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean, and stay away from Holland America and Celebrity who tend to be a tad "older".
Your young people will find lots to do on the 1st three I mentioned. Royal Caribbean especially, with their rock climbing wall, skating rink, and the new Flow Rider (surfing onboard!) Note: check your brochures or the company website to find which ships have all these amenities. The older ones may not.

Another suggestion, book at least 7 days, if you can afford it. You will have so much fun you will regret having only 3-5 days!
And book 2 cabins, one for you and your wife (you deserve a break after all!) and one for the kids. Cabins tend to be a little claustrophobic, and with 5 adults, it can get squishy. Especially if everyone is trying to get ready for dinner, or an excursion, all at the same time!

Meanwhile, do some more research, check out all the board topics here on CruiseMates to find answers to any of your questions.
Let us know what you decide on, and tell us all about it when you get back!

donna
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Admiral

Ask away and someone will answer you...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM
Passenger

NCL, Carnival, and RCI would be good recommendations for your family.

A 7 day cruise would give you a better feeling of a cruise. I'm thinking that a 3 day cruise would seem too hectic for a first timer especially with kids the ages of yours. By the time you board and get settled, it seems like it is time to leave. Even a 5 day could seem a little short for your first time.

Two cabins is a good suggestion, just for the extra bathroom alone.
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have to agree with Sub, go for a 7 on one of the Voyager or Freedom class ship with Royal Caribbean. They do have Easterns that stop in St. Thomas and St. Maarten, so your wife can get all the shopping in she needs.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Passenger

Default Cruises are Great

You will enjoy the cruise.

Because of the number going, in your group, you might want to consider travel insurance. Airline delays and lost luggage happen.

We have always purchased our insurance from DB Tours, because they provide a discount and sell the number one insurance, Travel Guard.

DB Tours has been in business since 1945 and you can reach them at 803-781-7866. Ask for Hal.

Hope this helps
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruises are Great

Suggest flying into port the day before (hedges lost luggage risk). Don't book the last flight out of town (hedges against flight cancellation risk).

Agree RCI is a good bet.

BTW, walkie talkies are a good way to keep track of the family
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Admiral

if the budget is tight; the Enchantment 5 night is great (it may not have an ice skating rink or flow rider) but the kids on board still seemed to enjoy all the other activities; awesome pool area IMHO; it is a good ship for a first cruise; not toooo big and easy to keep track of the amily.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

If budget is tight, why not consider 2 inside cabins? My DH is spoiled and now won't book anything less than a balcony cabin. But, if it meant going on 2 cruises each year....I'd definitely switch to inside cabins!
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

The smaller ships on Carnival (Imagination, Holiday) do wonderful Western itineraries. A 7 day is good too and with five of you you should get a great deal. 5 in a room would be very very crowded, so you may want to see what kind of deal you can get with two rooms.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Captain

I'd say with a family your size, do a 5-7 day cruise. I wouldn't get hung up on finding the perfect ship as much as the right price, itinerary etc.

Five days is actually enough to have a really good time. Most will probably disagree but I don't have alot of urge to do one over 5 days. I LOVE cruising, but it's just so much excess everything, especially food. Only you know what your budget is but if you're footing the whole bill for everything, you might find a 7 dayer to start getting pretty pricy with a family your size. It's not so much the price of the cruise itself but excursions, drinks, gambling, souveniers, shopping etc usually give alot of people "sticker shock" when they get that bill summary under the door the last day. They make it so easy to spend with the scan cards they give you. I think people get a little excursion crazy considering there is so much to do for free onboard....They really add up. I can only imagine the final bill on some of these cruises folks do for longer than 7 days...Good Lord! I would guess that your 2 oldest are probably at least chipping in some at their age but I don't think you mentioned it.
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Passenger

I would suggest you take the air/sea package the cruise line offers. I always come in the day before ( I am from Arizona so there is no charge for the hotel, but even if there was a charge, I would do it.) They meet you at the airport and see to it you get to the hotel and to the ship with ease. I'ts also fun to get to unwind before the next days excitement!
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Beginner

Definitely do a 7 day cruise and I would recommend Princess!

I have three teens 18, 14, 14 and they love Princess.

Also make sure you have 2 cabins as you definitely need two bathrooms.

Have fun!