Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Beginner

Default How to check if cruise price dropped

This is probably an extremely dumb question..... My travel agent told me that if the price of my cruise drops, to call her and she will adjust it. BUT, do I go straight to the cruiselines website to check or what am I supposed to do? It didnt sound like she was going to do this for me so I want to make sure I do it right! Sorry if this was a stupid question but, well, I thought I would throw it out there anyway!! THANKS SO MUCH!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Admiral

lynn, that is a very good question, and yes you check the price of your cruise at the cruise lines web site. Your TA is probably very busy and just doesn't have the time to check on all the rates for all her clients
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Beginner

Thanks Lisa! I will do just that!
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Admiral

It's also a good idea to check often. Sometimes the price will drop for just a short time then go back up. Three weeks ago I was in RCI web site looking at our upcoming cruise in Sept. To my surprise the price of our cruise had gone down $300 per ticket. After contacting RCI $600 was returned to my credit card. The very next day I went back into RCI's web site and the price had returned to original price. Keep a look out it could save you some money.
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM
Beginner

Thanks "MR. DOG"!! I will check frequently!
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Not a stupid question by any means. I have done this before. Figuring you are computer literate, set up a few bookmarks for this. The cruise line site, the mega sites (Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire) a couple of spider sites (TravelZoo, BookingWhiz) and some cruise specific sites (Cruise.com, CruiseComplete, Cruise411, etc). This should give you a heads up if there are changes. When I have decided on a cruise for a certain time and am flexible, there have been a lot of changes in rates both up and down, plus an opportunity for an upgrade. It is a very variable situation.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
lynn, that is a very good question, and yes you check the price of your cruise at the cruise lines web site. Your TA is probably very busy and just doesn't have the time to check on all the rates for all her clients
And that is just what really chaps my butt. What do you mean "the TA is probably very busy?" I don't buy that at all. Looking out for my interests is her JOB ... she should MAKE the time to run a price check on at least a once a week basis.

Travel agents make decent money for the work they do. Some of them get commissions in excess of 18% if they book a lot with certain cruise lines. My feeling is that the TA works for me, and I would expect her to at least be checking my fare to make sure I'm not losing out on a better deal.

Of course, that's not to say I won't check it too ... but, after all, two pairs of eyes are better than one, right? She's getting paid, and not too shabbily either ... so let her do some of the work.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

wow!!! I just checked and my price has dropped $60.00 per person. Already contacted TA and she is calling RCI as I write this (I hope)

That's $120.00 that I can definately use on board......... I will be checking very often now until my trip.
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well crap!!!!!!! It was too good to be true. TA just called back and the cheaper price was for another deck with obstructed view.... thanks but no thanks!!!! Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. Beware, do your homework before you call your TA.