Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Captain

Default New Alaska Itineary

Would love to see a roundtrip from Vancouver (foreign port so no need to stop in Victoria, etc) and cruise as many glaciers as possible, especially Glacier Bay and the College Fjords. This could probably be done in 7 days if they would eliminate Skagway, the most northern port.

Cruise of the Glaciers - it would be great.

I'm going to write NCL, feel free to add your votes as well, if this sounds appealing to you.

Magnolia
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Admiral

HAL had this, called Glacier Discovery or something like that. It was one way, either north or south bound, Seward to Vancouver or vice versa. We did it on our first Alaska cruise. Check and see because I think they do still have it. The problem is that oneway airfare can be ridiculous in price. Plus, a long, long day just getting there or getting home. Fly to Vancouver, 3 hour flight to Anchorage, then several hours getting down the Denali peninsula to Seward.
Frankly, I would not do it again. And I don't think that round-trip from Vancouver would be doable. Getting to the glaciers requires a lot of sailing time, since they are generally at the inland tips of fjords. And, yes, we skipped Skagway.
Marty
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Captain

We did a one way on Princess, which was fabulous. That's how we came to visit the College Fjords. But - jeez - the flight from Anchorage to Louisiana was a killer. Would love to cruise the glaciers - matters not to me if we stopped anywhere! However, not too many people will agree with me on that one.
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM
First Mate

MagnoliaBlossom, this Arkie 100% agrees - I don't care if the ship stops anywhere. I can sit out on my balcony and just watch the scenery go by!
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Except for Juneau, where you have Mendanhall glacier, most of the glaciers you will see will be from the ship. Not a lot of tourist attractions are built on top of moving rivers of ice!
Glacier Bay is still the top of my list of amazing things I've seen on cruises. Did it twice, thought I might be disappointed the second time, as memory seemed too good to be true. But, it was as jaw dropping the 2nd time as the first. Sigh....I want to go again.
Marty
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Beginner

Yeah, I agree with that.
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Yeoman

The Alaska cruises should be longer! NCL had cruises longer than a week in Alaska a few years ago and I want them to do that again. One week is always too short!