Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Keeping it safe

Was just reading this morning about people who have lost their luggage and it was never found. This got me thinking (for this early in the morning, that is, of itself, a miracle) Anyway, you know how you instinctively pack the receipt for travelers checks in your luggage.

I am just wondering if it is not better to place these receipts in your carry on, so that there is no chance that it can be lost or stolen.

The banks tell you to place the receipts for your traveler's checks in a spearate area, but I do not know if your luggage is the correct choice.

When you get to your cabin, I recommend placing this receipt in the cabin safe.

Oh, well, this is just my opinion!

Diane

32 days until Mariner!

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Admiral

En route, the receipt should still go in a separate place, even if that has to be a pocket. The point is to have that so if the checks are stolen, you can file your claim asap. So, don't put them in the same carry on as the receipt.
On board, the safety deposit box is your best bet. Along with photo copies of any ID's and of precription doc's, plus a list of what credit or debit cards you will be carrying around in ports. I also always put an extra credit card that we do not plan to use in the box.
Marty
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Keeping it safe, again

Where do you find the safety deposit boxes on the ship? Are they at the purser's desk?

Thanks for the info.

Diane

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Admiral

Most - if not all major cruise lines - have safes in each cabin ... and that's where you would put it. You set your own combination. The smaller lines have safety deposit boxes through the purser's desk.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Use your cabin safe for the receipt or the traveler's checks but just don't keep them together:

The cabin safes are very secure. You can use the ship's safe by going to the Customer Service desk and requesting that any very valuable items be stored in the ship's safe.

Unless you are carrying an amount of "cash" or "checks", over the allowable limit, the cabin safe is fine. Just remember to lock it!

If you still want additional security the Customer Service staff will accommodate your request for storage in the ship's safe.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to carolincanada Send a message via MSN to carolincanada

Hello All: As a newbie cruiser, that sounds like really great advise. I know when I am travelling, I always leave valuables in the hotel safes. I have never had anything missing so far. Again, just to reiterate, make sure you lock the safe upon leaving your room. I agree, keep it in the safe...
Carol 8)
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Passenger

How big are the room safes? Would a 6-pack of colas fit in it (not that we would lock up our drinks, but for sizing purposes)?
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:02 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to carolincanada Send a message via MSN to carolincanada

Hi Sassy: I only know hotel safe sizes, not the cruise ships....I am thinking they may be the same, but do not know for sure.....hotels are usually about 12" X 8" deep and about 8-10" in height....but don't hold me to that. Perhaps if someone who has been on a cruise before reads this, they will give you a more accurate sizing. Carol 8)
Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolincanada
Hi Sassy: I only know hotel safe sizes, not the cruise ships....I am thinking they may be the same, but do not know for sure.....hotels are usually about 12" X 8" deep and about 8-10" in height....but don't hold me to that. Perhaps if someone who has been on a cruise before reads this, they will give you a more accurate sizing. Carol 8)
As I recall thats about right. The safe is usually in one of the closets
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09