Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Beginner

Default Flying in the day of boarding

This being my first cruise, I have no idea if this is possible or not. Would we be able to arrive at the Honolulu airport at 11am or noon, and get over to the terminal at a good time to board? What is the latest that you are allowed to board in general? The ship leaves at 8pm.

I know I have read to spend at least one night in the city before the cruise, but it's not possible with our schedule.

One more question--What is the best and/or cheapest way to get from HNL airport to the cruise terminal? Taxi?

Thanks in advance!

Naomi
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If your flight is on time you'll be at the pier in PLENTY of time. It's about a 30 or 40 minute ride, and taxi isn't much over $20 or so , if I recall.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Captain

Kuki's right (of course!) but give some consideration to flying in a day early. With the airlines today you never know what can happen. How terrible it is to start your vacation with the stress a delayed or cancelled flight can invoke. It will also allow you to rest up, adjust a wee bit to the new time and have Blue Hawaiian.

All passengers must be on board 1 hour prior to sailing.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Flying in the day of boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC&K
This being my first cruise, I have no idea if this is possible or not. Would we be able to arrive at the Honolulu airport at 11am or noon, and get over to the terminal at a good time to board? What is the latest that you are allowed to board in general? The ship leaves at 8pm.
I don't know where you would be flying into Hawaii from ... but, ahhhhhh, I wouldn't recommend flying in the same day if you are coming from somewhere far ... such as the East Coast of the U.S.

The rule of thumb I use is can I take a direct flight to the port city from my home in Philly? Can I get a flight that is early enough in the morning to give me LOTS of wiggle room? If the answer to either of those questions is no, then I plan on spending at least one night pre-cruise in the port city.

I live in Philly, so what this generally means for me is that if the cruise leaves from New York or somewhere in Florida, I generally take a very early flight on the morning of the cruise. But if it leaves from the West Coast, generally I will plan on spending one night pre-cruise.

The problem with flying in on the morning of the cruise is that so much can go wrong. Flights can be cancelled, you can miss a connection due to a delay with an earlier flight, weather can become an issue ... and the list goes on and on. It's no fun to miss the boat. Believe me, I know. I've done it. On my first cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale at 5:00 p.m. ... I took something like an 8:00 a.m. direct flight from Philly onboard US Air. Who would have ever thought an 8:00 a.m. flight wouldn't get me to Fort Lauderdale ... a mere three-hour flight ... long before sailaway time? Well, the airplane developed a "maintenance issue." We sat on the tarmac in Philly for close to an hour before taking off. Once we were airborne, not 45 minutes into the flight, the plane lost an engine. The pilot came on the intercom and told us we were "diverting" to another airport so that a maintenance crew could meet us there.

There were six of us onboard that US Airways flight bound for the ms Rotterdam for a ten-day Panama Canal cruise. All six of us wound up missing the boat because we sat on the ground for over six hours while a maintenance crew was found to service the plane, and the issues were resolved. All six of us had to make our own way to Costa Rica to pick up the ship three days later. We missed three days of our cruise, not to mention incurred the expense of an additional flight (actually two because we had to fly first to Atlanta to then get a flight to San Jose, Costa Rica), hotel rooms, meals, etc., while we waited for the Rotterdam to catch up with us.

So, I say ... don't chance it. Especially for longer treks to the port ... and unless you lived on another Hawaiian island, boarding a ship in Hawaii would have to be a longer flight ... spend the extra money to spend a night pre-cruise in Hawaii. It will be worth it, plus you'll be far more relaxed and ready to have fun when you get on the boat.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think it's extremely risky. A record number of flights are being delayed or cancelled. You don't want to become a statistic.

Where are you flying from? Even if it's the West Coast, sometimes flights are delayed or canceled up and down the entire coast if weather is bad.

Shelby
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Naomi,
I reread your question and you said that you can't fly in the day before. May I suggest that you book your flight the night before, then. Yes, you will be really tired, but if you can't go a day early, go as early as you possibly can. Don't want to get you too worried, but things do happen that affect airline schedules.
Marty
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Admiral

Naomi:

If you fly in the same day you board there are two risks - one, that your flight will not arrive on time, and two, that your luggage will not be on your flight. More connecting flights elevate risk for both events.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 19th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with the other posters that you should really try to fly in the day before. My husband and I did a Hawaiian cruise about a year and a half ago, and the time difference really was rough. I was so glad we had the extra day to recover, so we were able to enjoy every day of our cruise. Plus, we looked nice and refreshed in our embarkation photo. Boy, some of those people looked like they had been beaten!!!
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Definitely agree day before is a must. If it really isnt possible how about the red eye out there. Numerous reasons, time, luggage & time change. Definitely try to get that to work out!

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
Passenger

We have always arrived the day we depart and out of 8 trips only ran into 1 time that was a little scary - lost luggage, jumping over the gangplank to get on the ship - it turned out to be one of our most memorable trips
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Even flying from Atlanta to Philly we are getting there on Friday for a Saturday cruise. It's worth a hotel to be there and be relaxed the day of the cruise. Just toooo many things can happen and the cruise line does not care that Mr and Mrs Joe Somebody are not on that ship. They just wave bye bye and continue on......

Speaking of flying and cruising........ 2 1/2 more days of this crap until we leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have to say I am with Kuki on this one - it is always better to arrive a day early, but not MANDATORY. The time zone change works in your favor as it is three to six hours earlier in Honolulu than in the mainland.

So, getting back to the original question - IF you can make it to the airport by 11:00 a.m. or even noon you have PLENTY of time to make the ship.

The question is whether you have to change planes and where you are flying in from. The East coast has a far worse "on-time" record than the West coast.
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Admiral

I always practice going to the departing city a day in advance... Now, a disclaimer... when I go to Miami for the Thanksgiving Day Cruisemates Cruise, I am flying in that same day. I am going early in the morning to make up for any unforeseen mishaps.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.