Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Captain

Marvel:

Good pointers! The only thing I'm not sure of is if the cell phone will be useful as an alarm clock onboard. If you're not close enough to a tower (which is most of the time onboard), I'm not sure your phone will know what time it is to wake you up....Am I wrong about that?

Also, the wake up call service can be used for afternoon naps not just getting up in the morning...Wouldn't want to miss dinner...Probably haven't eaten for almost an hour!! lol
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Captain

Hi Only:

That all sounds very reasonable to me and you make some good points. My digital cam' isn't rechargable but I know many are.

We just got kind of a chuckle out of the rooms we would pass by onboard that were just bottomless pits (not saying this is you at all). It looked like some of these folks were setting up for a rock concert in the room with the extension cords, heavy tape and unlimited electrical items lol...We've all got out individual needs and comforts so more power to everyone no matter what you take or don't take onboard.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
Marvel:

Good pointers! The only thing I'm not sure of is if the cell phone will be useful as an alarm clock onboard. If you're not close enough to a tower (which is most of the time onboard), I'm not sure your phone will know what time it is to wake you up....Am I wrong about that?

Also, the wake up call service can be used for afternoon naps not just getting up in the morning...Wouldn't want to miss dinner...Probably haven't eaten for almost an hour!! lol
Good question - but I think even if it can't update, it can still keep time as well as my iPod does. Even when I don't have service at all on land, the clock still works.

True about the nap thing - you don't want to miss dinner and have your blood sugar crash or anything. lol

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Captain

Marvel:

When are you cruising? Do you know what ship yet etc?
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Marvel:

When are you cruising? Do you know what ship yet etc?
Unless it sells out, I'm cruising the Zuiderdam in early November. Someone else is booking for both of us, and we just have to wait for some funds to clear which should be by tomorrow.

I was doing some reading online, and it looks like most lines are adding cell service of some kind - you either use your phone or a phone they provide. I hope my phone can keep track of time!! lol

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Captain

That sounds like a great cruise! November would probably be a great month to get away and more than likely not alot of teens etc onboard.
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:26 PM
First Mate

UNDERWEAR!!! Funny story here. I went over to BIL's house to help them pack for their cruise. I unpacked everything they had packed to try to fit more in the suitcase...well SIL had more than a dozen pairs of panties, but not a single one for BIL!!! Thank God I noticed...we probably would have been reading about a woman overboard otherwise!
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Admiral

My must have is a back pack/day pack/tote bag. I like to haul around "stuff" on a shore excursion: camera, handi-wipes, sunglasses, some extra clothes if I plan on swimming, bottle of water, and maybe a snack.

This pack or tote bag also does double duty as an airline carryon.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs1787
Small battery alarm clock. Im paranoid about the time, so this comes in handy. Another thing that I swear never to go out of the house without is my tide-pen! Those things work like a charm!
I brought 2 small alarms (both were 99 cents at Ikea) one to wake me at 6 for my meds and one at 8 for breakfast
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Captain

Quote:
Marvel:

My cell phone was an hour ahead most of the cruise. Not sure why. Anyway I still prefer having a clock I can see easily. As for the flash light I just left the bathroom light on
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1Cruise
The blowdryer is needed because, in my experience, the ones provided are not usually strong enough to dry my hair in under 1/2 hour! If you can guarantee that HAL's dryers are decent, I will definitely concede and leave mine at home.

Rechargeable batteries? Oh yes! I have 2 digital cameras and expect to take a minimum of 1,500 photos. (My mother is suffering the onset of dementia and I want to have many [MANY!] pictures for her to look at in years to come - she may not remember being there, but at least she can enjoy them!)

There you have it....my justification for power bars, blowdryers and battery rechargers.
Only1;

No need to justify these. Some people think one person's necessities are their junk. There are many other items that people pack that I feel are completely worthless but to them they are essential. Pack what's right for you just remember you'll have to carry it.

BTW: The hairdryers, on most ships, are more powerful now then they were a few years ago.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Admiral

$$$$$$$
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Default Back from the cruise with a different slant on things!

I didn't even unpack the power bar, there were plenty of outlets in our room on the Zuiderdam.

Blowdryer was perfect! No trouble there at all!

Because the Zuiderdam didn't have laundry available outside the pricey ''bag o' laundry'' service, next time I would definitely bring more single packages of laundry detergent for doing handwashing in the sink.

The battery recharger WAS used, more than once, so that was a must-have.

I used everything else I'd brought, from the bandaids (blister on my mom's heel from her morning walking) to the highlighter pen to the sun burn cream!

Next time I would remember to bring pony tail holders. I couldn't stand having my hair on my neck, it was much too hot and humid. The onboard stores didn't carry such little things like this. I had to wait until we docked close to a WalMart to get them.

The clothespins for the shower curtain stayed in the suitcase. The curtain was heavy duty and didn't budge.
Old October 24th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Captain

There have been some really good ideas on things to pack here but the one thing I have found to be a real bonus is the space saver packing bags. They come in various sizes to fit your luggage and you can get lots in them. I got mine at Wal Mart in the luggage dept. You don't need a vacum cleaner to seal them. You load them with your clothes the roll them to expell the air. When we went to Alaska last year I used them for the first time. Packed all our heavy bulky clothing in one and when the air was forced out the bag was about 1/2 the size it started at. I was able to take all our clothing in one suitcase. Left me the second one for all the trinkets I purchased for my granddaughter. Clothes were no more wrinkled than if I'd packed the usual way. To solve that I take along some of the wrinkle relase spray and as I unpack I spary the clothes, hang them up and by the time I'm ready to wear them, they are pretty much wrinkle free. But who cares if I have a few wrinkles, I'm on vacation.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Passenger

Travelgalsue: I've thought about those space saver bags - did it make your suitcase any heavier?

My must have is a bit different. I like to buy a perfumed body spray or cologne somewhere on my trip and use it. Then months after I return and I use that scent, it brings me right back to my vacation. I have one scent I bought in Vegas 5 years ago and every time I use it (it's a Victoria's Secret cologne) it still reminds me of that vacation.

Free Cruise Clocks