Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Passenger

Default Must pack item...

I would love to hear what everyone's must have items are when they are packing for a cruise. I've noticed quite a few odd items being mentioned on these forums (duct tape everyone?) and thought it might be interesting.

BTW, my must have item...a yellow highlighter (I pack two). Each night I highlight all the activities that look interesting for quick reference the next day.
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I always pack a few suction hooks. Damp bathing suits, cover ups, p.j's etc.
Also a steamer for last minute touch ups.
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Passenger

One item we learned from these boards is clothespins.

The shower curtains tend to be a bit flimsy. Attaching a few clothespins to the bottom of the curtain weighs it down and keeps it from blowing out and causing a puddle on the floor and also keeps the curtain from blowing in and sticking to you in the close quarters of the shower stall.

YMMV as some have reported bringing and not needing them as they had no trouble with the curtain. I don't risk it and just pop those puppies on the curtain when unpacking.

Carnival Inspiration June 2007 - Grand Cayman & Cozumel
Dawn Princess August 2007 - North to Alaska
Old August 17th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Passenger

Lacy,

Your my new hero! My pet peeve is the dirty wet shower curtain sticking to my leg as I try to shower. Clothes pins are inexpensive, light, and disposable - great tip! Very resourceful.
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Passport, Booking number (online documents), cash and credit card. Those are what you need to cruise. The rest are just "extras".

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishbo96
Lacy,

Your my new hero!

Woohoo! I'm a hero! Can't take full credit for the idea, as I read about it here on CM. I'm happy to pass it along, though.

Here's to clean showers without sticky curtains!!!

Carnival Inspiration June 2007 - Grand Cayman & Cozumel
Dawn Princess August 2007 - North to Alaska
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Have to gree with MikeM but do have one of our own.

Our must take is our cameras. Digital for most pics and underwater for snorkling.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Passenger

Camera's are a must have. My children are only young once. I want to capture as many memories on film as humanly possible. So many great places to see!
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nightlight for the bathroom. It gets dark in the cabins at night.

The other would be money, lol.. Never seem to have enough of it.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Passenger

Power strip, needed the extra "plug ins". Cork screw, small inexpenisve foldable clothes hamper. That stays in our luggage all of time now great for overnight or a week long trip and if we are driving it goes from the hotel room to the car and no need to repack the dirty clothes.
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The serious "must packs", other than the things I mentioned earlier are:

1. Power strip
2. ATM card
3. Additional Visa Credit card, issued from another bank and has different acct. #
4. Some gallon size ziploc bags for storage of messy stuff, spill-ables or lunches.
5. Leatherman multi-tool.

I always divide all credit cards, money and ATM cards between my wife and I. This is so in the event that one of us is pick pocketed or loses a wallet then we don't lose all money or credit card. This is why having Visa cards with DIFFERENT account numbers is important. If the account numbers are the same, and you cancel it, then you are both out of luck until the replacement arrives. This can be real pain in the rear if you are in a remote part of the world.

American Express cards have different account numbers but are not as widely accepted.

The ATM card is one of the best things there is: Yes, you may pay a fee for using another banks ATM but you are no longer required to carry large amounts of cash or traveler checks between destinations, or hassle with currency exchanges. If you have an account that limits or does not charge for using another bank's ATM, it is a great alternative. Check with your bank for accounts that have these options. You may, and probably will, pay a fee for using the ATM but won't have a second fee added on. I have Wells Fargo and the most I have been charged with my PMI account is $5 for withdrawing cash in China, Spain, Korea or England.

Just use a bank ATM when withdrawing cash. Try and stay away from grocery store type ATM's, especially, in foreign countries. Bank ATM's are plentiful almost anywhere in the world, especially near cruise ports.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Passenger

Definitely a power strip.
Old August 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Passenger

Great travel tips, Mike. My husband and I do the same thing.

We've never brought a power strip but I could see where one might be needed. With a 11 yr old this time, I'm thinking we might need to bring some walkie talkies. She's already talking about all the places she wants to go on the ship.
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Captain

lets see camera Camcoder Laptop (Maybe) Cell Phone (Maybe) Yeah I say most people need a power strip
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to megs1787

Small battery alarm clock. Im paranoid about the time, so this comes in handy. Another thing that I swear never to go out of the house without is my tide-pen! Those things work like a charm!
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Inspiration 2005
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2006
Carnival Destiny 2007
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Passenger

we bring walkie talkies as these ships are so big. She normally sleeps in, so when she's ready to emerge from the cabin she can track me down.

Carnival Destiny 03/30/08
RCL Enchantment 09/24/07
Carnival Liberty 02/05
Carnival Glory 01/03
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not really a 'must have', but I take a small notebook and at the end of each day as I have my last cup of tea I do a page of the day's events and people.

Didn't think of the power strip, but have taken the hooks and duct tape!

Also, recently seen where AAA Auto Club has VISA card to preload and use instead of travelers checks. Am thinking about gettin one for each of us with just a couple of hundred on each, to use in ports. If stolen no hard damage can be done to any of our credit accounts.

Nona Mary
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:54 AM
Admiral

Mini flashlights - one for each nightstand so when either party gets up you can find your way to the bathroom without disturbing the other. Not sure that you can plug a nightlight into the bathroom plug ... believe that's only for electric razors.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:30 AM
Admiral

battery powered travel alarm clock is a must
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:50 PM
Passenger

Power stip and post its tend to be my must haves. After not having luggage a few years ago, I've found that I can get away with a lot less "things"
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
Passenger

I've now packed the power bar, the clothespins, the flashlight, the alarm clock, the notebook and the extra Visa card.

I still feel like I'm missing something that will end up being important!

Any other suggestions out there? I'm going on a 22 day cruise that leaves next Saturday.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
Passenger

Did you check out Kuki's new article? It gives a lot of great ideas and more than a few laughs.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:33 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1Cruise
I've now packed the power bar, the clothespins, the flashlight, the alarm clock, the notebook and the extra Visa card.

I still feel like I'm missing something that will end up being important!

Any other suggestions out there? I'm going on a 22 day cruise that leaves next Saturday.
First, ditch the clock. Sleep in late or have the desk give you a wakeup call if you must. Otherwise, why on earth would you care what time it was on a cruise ship?

Second, ditch the power bar. If you bring the power bar your going to want to bring things to plug into it. Things like a laptop PC. Why folks want to do this is beyond me. I go cruising to relax. Not to work, check on stocks or email a friend.

Clothspins, so the shower curtain does not stick to your legs? Come on, let it stick for a scond or two and live a little on the wild side.

Flashlight or nightlight? For a child maybe, but an adult?

Save some room for trinkets and such that you want to bring back with you. Better yet, fill it with things you buy at the duty free store.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian and Phyllis in Ohio
Clothspins, so the shower curtain does not stick to your legs? Come on, let it stick for a scond or two and live a little on the wild side.
Haha! This cracked me up! Very funny! And, point taken!

As first/last time cruisers, we're packing and re-packing and un-packing. I want to be sure we're not going to be regretting not taking something.

No laptop...but blowdryer, curling iron, battery charger etc so I think I'll stick with the power bar.
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1Cruise

As first/last time cruisers, we're packing and re-packing and un-packing. I want to be sure we're not going to be regretting not taking something.

No laptop...but blowdryer, curling iron, battery charger etc so I think I'll stick with the power bar.
A big mistake most first timers make is that they often overpack and try to bring too much. Pack what you will, but our advice is pack less so you have room to bring home more of those "My friends went to the islands and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!".
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Oh no! Please tell me you are kidding about those t-shirts?!?
(I know you are.)
Marty
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Oh no! Please tell me you are kidding about those t-shirts?!?
(I know you are.)
Marty
Actually, the best t-shirt we picked up for our sons were based on a pirate theme and said "Surrender the Booty". Each had a skull and crossbones superimposed over a scantily clad wench.

Our sons loved them and I am told they were a big hit a school.

(Relax folks our sons are 27 and 25 and graduated years ago.)
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Captain

Great post and so true B&P.

Also, the ships have hairdryers unless you are really attached to the one at home. Also, what are these batteries everyone needs to seem to charge? On a cruise vacation? Also, if you have a "flip phone" it will provide enough light to get to the bathroom or you can just keep the bathroom light on and the door cracked. In most rooms, you're almost sleeping in the bathroom anyway so it's not a great distance lol.

A laptop?

As most experienced travelers will tell you...."Bring half the crap you think you need but twice the money you think you need" !
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
Great post and so true B&P.

Also, the ships have hairdryers unless you are really attached to the one at home. Also, what are these batteries everyone needs to seem to charge? On a cruise vacation? Also, if you have a "flip phone" it will provide enough light to get to the bathroom or you can just keep the bathroom light on and the door cracked. In most rooms, you're almost sleeping in the bathroom anyway so it's not a great distance lol.

A laptop?

As most experienced travelers will tell you...."Bring half the crap you think you need but twice the money you think you need" !
Good idea with the cell phone. Even a "bar" cell phone will give enough light if you press a button. We will need cell phones anyway (at least while travelling to and from the cruise debarkation city), and that will also be my alarm and night light. Since I won't be using it to talk, the battery will last all week. Most phones have an option that lets you set the alarm, turn the phone off and it will turn itself back on when it's time for the alarm to go off. Even if you left it on at night to use it as a light, most phones should last all week.

Even when I'm on a business trip, my colleagues are all tying to figure out the room alarms or setting up wakeup calls, while I just set the alarm on my phone and I'm good to go.

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Passenger

Oh, I'm a VERY experienced traveller. I've been to over 200 places in 10 different countries, but this is our first cruise. It's for 22 days, not just a week. I know how to pack for myself, as I've spent many a week tossing luggage onto a train or a bus and know less is best!

This time I'm travelling with my elderly mother and want to ensure she has the best experience possible. Knowing that there isn't the option of popping into a WalMart or Target if she needs something is what is causing the packing conundrum.

The blowdryer is needed because, in my experience, the ones provided are not usually strong enough to dry my hair in under 1/2 hour! If you can guarantee that HAL's dryers are decent, I will definitely concede and leave mine at home.

Rechargeable batteries? Oh yes! I have 2 digital cameras and expect to take a minimum of 1,500 photos. (My mother is suffering the onset of dementia and I want to have many [MANY!] pictures for her to look at in years to come - she may not remember being there, but at least she can enjoy them!)

There you have it....my justification for power bars, blowdryers and battery rechargers.