Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Passenger

Default Just A Random Cruising Question

Just curious after going on a cruise recently I wondered about this..

Has anyone been on a boat where someone went overboard or went missing? Has anyone ever seen anyone or anything go over? What was the ship's response? Did they stop the ship to look?

Also, after all those life boat drills on each cruise, has anyone ever actually had to report to muster stations or seen those rescue boats go down?

Thanks for answering my random questions!
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Not for someone overboard, but when we were on the Celebrity Zenith we were in the dining room for lunch when suddenly the ship slowed noticeably and made a turn. The captain announced that we were stopping to rescue a boatload of Cuban refugees in a 10 foot boat in 15 foot seas. The ship sent out several of the lifeboats and rescued the 10 onboard. It was quite interesting to watch as even the lifeboats were bobbing up and down like corks in the rough seas.

We have never been called to muster stations, but on several of our cruises they use the lifeboats to tender into ports that are too shallow for the ship to dock.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Admiral

I thought I had read somewhere that there was some sort of rule or something prohibiting use of lifeboats for anything other than their intended use - as lifeboats ? Then again, probably misread something.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
I thought I had read somewhere that there was some sort of rule or something prohibiting use of lifeboats for anything other than their intended use - as lifeboats ? Then again, probably misread something.
Bobby:

The "Large,motorized" lifeboats are used as tenders in many ports.

The inflatable "life rafts" are only used during training and actual emergencies.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Yeah, those (in the pic) are supposed to be unsinkable so they have told me on a couple of ships.
I've never seen them used for tenders though. That would be pretty cool.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Bobby:

If you go to Grand Cayman, Ketchikan, Belize or a number of other ports you will use the ship's tenders. In Belize they also have larger, private, tenders to handle more passengers.

They also use the ship's lifeboats as tenders when going and coming from the cruise line's private islands. I.E. Cocoa Cay, Princess Cays, Half Moon Cay, Great Stirrup Cay.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Just A Random Cruising Question

A few years back we "lost" two passengers in St. Martin. An Italian couple cleared out their cabin and ditched the ship. The ship held us in port 3 hours before they determined the folks had ditched.

Seen the boats go up and down in drills all the time. Real fun to watch them try to come up in high winds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon25
Just curious after going on a cruise recently I wondered about this..

Has anyone been on a boat where someone went overboard or went missing? Has anyone ever seen anyone or anything go over? What was the ship's response? Did they stop the ship to look?

Also, after all those life boat drills on each cruise, has anyone ever actually had to report to muster stations or seen those rescue boats go down?

Thanks for answering my random questions!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Bobby:

If you go to Grand Cayman, Ketchikan, Belize or a number of other ports you will use the ship's tenders. In Belize they also have larger, private, tenders to handle more passengers.

They also use the ship's lifeboats as tenders when going and coming from the cruise line's private islands. I.E. Cocoa Cay, Princess Cays, Half Moon Cay, Great Stirrup Cay.

Take care,
Mike
Well, actually I've been to Cayman twice (once last Oct) as well as Belize. Both had private tenders - high speed triple outboard type in Belize. No, I have yet to experience the lifeboats. Maybe it depends on the cruise line.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Beginner

Default can anyone help me with cruise info?

Whats the deal with the entertainment on a ship. I'm about to book my frist cruise is there any certian ship i shoulod try toget on? which cruise liner is the best? When you see shows on ships do you pay extra to get in? are they all production stlye shows? should or can i expect to see the likes of a riverdance or crique de sole type shows on cruise ships? Anyone want to advise as to the best destination? what are the rooms like onboard? Anyone that can help me with these questions i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Yep, they absolutely do use the lifeboats as tenders, and at other times I've seen them just launch them and run them around a bit. Just like anything else, they need to be run occasionally, so that when, and if they are ever needed, the fuel is fresh, the batterys are at full charge, and they'll actually run!

Ken