Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Keeping up w/ fellow passengers

Kind of a simple question but…. This is our 3rd cruise our 1st with friends. My question is how do we keep up with one another on the ship. Let’s say I like to get up early and have my morning joe outdoors somewhere on the ship. Our friends like to sleep in. It’s a big ship how are we going to find one another later in the morning? Am I going to run back the cabin every 15 minutes to see if they are still there and if they aren’t now what?

I know it seems a silly question but I’m just wondering how others handle the situation. I am thinking about those little walkie-talkies but, as is normal for me, am I over thinking?
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Does it really matter if you are "tied" to them 24 hours a day? Relax. You will probably meet up at dinner and you will find, if you like the same activities, that you will be meeting up with them at other times during the day. Do not get walkie talkies. Think how bad kids feel when they are kept on a short leash; an adult will feel 10 times worse.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Passenger

If it is important to be together then set a time to meet at a specific place, if no one shows then they are otherwise occupied. Or, make arrangements to meet at a specific time for meals, brunch, lunch or snacks.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

When we have travelled with friends, who are usually only a couple of stateroom doors down the hall, we do our own thing and see each other at dinner then go to the show together. We would talk about what each had planned for the next day, and if mutual interest, we would set a time to join forces, otherwise do our own thing. We spent 12 days with friends who were on their first cruise, and it went fine.

Remember it is also their vacation and you would not want them to feel obligated to do everything you are interested in. Another thing we did was sit in the same general area for breakfast and lunch. This way if they were ready to eat they would see us and could join us if they wanted, and vice/versa.

These friends will be taking their 2nd cruise, with us, to Alaska next year, so it worked well, we are still friends!

I don't vote for walkie-talkies.

Enjoy your vacation!
Nona Mary
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

g.lady & n.mary - thanks for the tips. i know it's kind of a lame question but as i said it's a big ship.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Passenger

Post it notes! I only travel with friends who like to sleep late while I like to get up early. i always just leave a note on the door to let them know where they may be able to find me
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarinM
Post it notes! I only travel with friends who like to sleep late while I like to get up early. i always just leave a note on the door to let them know where they may be able to find me
what a great idea!! sounds like the perfect solution. thank you. thank you.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think walky talky's would work fine in addition to having a certain spot onboard where you can meet from time to time, keep it the same place.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Walkie talkies should be banned from cruise ships. They are twice as bad as cell phones; you hear both sides of the conversation.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Walkie talkies should be banned from cruise ships. They are twice as bad as cell phones; you hear both sides of the conversation.
Man do I ever agree!!!
Imagine what teenagers feel when with their friends and 'mom' or 'dad' squawks on the stupid thing. Let alone, an adult when a 'friend' comes over the speaker right when they are busy or just plain don't want to talk into it. How embarrassing if you are in a crowd and the 'friend' wants to know where you are. On and on here......

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Some people just let things bother them. In my three cruises I have seen plenty of walkie talkies but have never even noticed them being used, much less being annoyed. They are fine as far as I am concerned. Actually Marc I think most people who are annoyed by cell phone conversations are annoyed because they can't hear both sides.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug R
Actually Marc I think most people who are annoyed by cell phone conversations are annoyed because they can't hear both sides.
Doug: I really agree with you on that one. I think it carries over to the party line principal. Granted there are people who "yell" into their cell phones but many people go out of their way to listen to other peoples conversations and then claim to be irritated by them. I observe this and I have noticed others doing it to me.

I do agree with Marc, that I would not want to be tied down to another couple on a cruise. I would agree to specific times and places to meet up.

I have used walkie-talkies to keep in touch with my wife but with the advent of cell phones and other technologies they are no longer needed for us. We don't use them for "Hey, where are you." We use it for emergency only situations.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Admiral

We always use walkie talkies. It is a great way to keep up with your group. Also as Donna said a meeting place is fine too. We don't use ours to keep anyone on "a leash" and the kids really enjoy them. The main thing that we do is that we teach them that the 2-ways are not toys and not to play on them. It is understood that if anyone in our group starts to play on them they can be taken away. With the 2-ways that I buy all of them come with headsets. I understand that some people don't like the 2-ways but we spend less time trying to find people in our group and more time enjoying the cruise.
Old August 24th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Admiral

On one of our cruises, we went with another couple, whom we are good friends with. We had to be very clear that we do not even keep track of each other on cruises! The clarity came when our early riser friends woke me up one morning to go to breakfast. I was quite clear that they were on their own!
In ports, the guys would go off and do physically challenging adventure tours while we 2 gals would take more laid back bus tours. She and I both have health problems, so this worked out. Until one afternnon when she had a nail appointment. We had finished our tour, so we went back on board and I went up to the Lido. Her hubby found me and demanded to know here his wife was, insisting that her appointment should be over already. He got very emphatic, until I said that since I had not abandoned her in a 3rd world country, where she was on the ship was not my responsibility.
My point here is to agree in advance the extent to which you want to be in contact while on the cruise. Some people like the freedom of doing what they want when they want, others need to be with others, etc. There are a million variations and, other than kids whose parents need to keep track of, deciding together in advance can avoid some friction. We're still good friends with that couple, but we could have avoided a bit of friction by addressing this beforehand.
Marty
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Captain

All of the prior responses make valid points. I would just like to add a couple myself here. Before you leave home, sit down and decide how much time you want to spend with the other couple, what each of you have in mind for days and evenings on the ship and in ports and plan your time accordingly. The post it notes are a good idea and you can also leave phone messages for each other, just remember to check your phone each time you are in the cabin.

When our grown children and grandchildren cruise with us, we ask only that everyone meet for dinner at the end of the day. As more experienced cruisers, we let them know what we have planned for the ports and if they want to join us we make the arrangements together.

It is no fun to feel like you are joined at the hip with others who do not have the same ideals about cruising that you do.
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Admiral

When we cruise with a group, it's been decided that we will all go our ways. If some are doing the same thing then they go togather. If not we go our seperate ways. Everyone is free to choose their own events. Most of the group that we cruise with have adult "kids". They are in their mid 20's or early 30's. and they have kids in their teens and under. To be honest with you our "kids" and grandkids get us on the 2-ways more than anything else. I guess they want to make sure were not having TOO MUCH
fun.
Old September 1st, 2007, 07:54 PM
Passenger

the point was these ships are huge. My daughter and I have brought and will bring walkie talkies, however, clearly we are not having lengthy conversations. More likely, I'm at the pool by the time she wakes up or get back from an excusion and hits me up. I say where I am, where she is and thats that. If I ever annoyed someone b/c of that, they need to chill out. As courtesy in movie theaters, I would never think of having mine on during one of the entertainment shows.

Carnival Destiny 03/30/08
RCL Enchantment 09/24/07
Carnival Liberty 02/05
Carnival Glory 01/03
Old September 1st, 2007, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Smlaker,
If only everyone would use walkie talkies like that, no problem. I work in a major grocery store and the people with cell phones drive me crazy. For some strange reason, they have to almost yell. I can't tell you how many times I turn around during the day, thinking someone is talking to me and it turns out someone is just on their phone while shopping. To me, thats just very annoying and rude...

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Most people here have missed one of the best options. The in cabin phones! They have voice mail. And there are phones located in public areas all over the ship. Just leave a voice mail message and voila, all is handled.

Personally I think cell phones AND walkie talkies should be banned from ships. Did you ever hear "fartknocker one to fartknocker two, over?" Louder and louder til they were yelling into the things.....and they were on the opposite sides of the pool, looking at each other? And the parents were laughing!
Old September 3rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Lisa, that would be annoying. That is exactly what I tell our group NOT to do. There are rules aganist that. Those kids should not have the 2-ways until the people in charge can be more responseable (the parents). As stated by someone in a previous post, our conversations are brief and to the point. Although you bring a valid point, voice messageing is a good idea.
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Don't worry about them and enjoy yourselves. It's a vacation.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlaker
the point was these ships are huge. My daughter and I have brought and will bring walkie talkies, however, clearly we are not having lengthy conversations. More likely, I'm at the pool by the time she wakes up or get back from an excusion and hits me up. I say where I am, where she is and thats that. If I ever annoyed someone b/c of that, they need to chill out. As courtesy in movie theaters, I would never think of having mine on during one of the entertainment shows.
smlaker - thanks for your input. you seem to understand my question. i'm not looking to have a conversation beyond "where are you guys"

i figure it's not really going to be a problem keeping up with one another, was just wanting some suggestions on how others keep up with their fellow cruisers.