Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Passenger

Default has anyone packed bottled water/soda...and flown?

I think I've read about people packing their own bottled water or soda to bring onboard, but I'm wondering- is this people who drive to the port or are there people out there who have actually packed cases of soda and/or bottled water in their checked luggage to be taken aboard upon arrival? I'm worried about leakage (esp. soda).

Maybe I'm a cheapskate, but I'd rather lug a $4 case of bottled water onto the ship, than pay $60 or more for the same number of bottles. Also, I highly doubt the ship has my fave soda, Diet *caffiene free* Dr. Pepper, onboard

I'm sailing on the Infinity for Alaska one week from today!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Alaska Cruise on the Celebrity Infinity 09.02.2007
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have no idea about the soda but I will tell you to leave the bottled water at home. Bring a couple of refillable water bottles and fill them from the ship's water.

The ship's desalination process renders water that is equal or better than most bottled water. The ship will gladly sell you bottled water in order to make money but there is no need to buy it.

Take care and forget the water.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Passenger

If you are flying from California then wait and buy the soda before you get aboard ship, if you are driving then take it with you. We toured Vancouver before our cruise and I feel sure had we wanted to our driver would have stopped so we could purchase soft drinks to take aboard. Have a great cruise.
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree with the previous posters, don't chance packing that and then flying. I've always drank from the tap while onboard, and the water is fine...I'd just fill your own bottles with that. If any soda or even water should break while in route, that would cost something to repair, just not worth it to save a few dollars.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the advice! One more related question- is distilled water available on board? My wife and I both have sleep apnea, and use distilled water in the humidifiers for our C-PAP's.

Old August 28th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Distilled water for a CPAP is something you must bring with our purchase.

When I used a CPAP I carried it with me in my CPAP carrying case. This was a carry on and considered medical equipment and allowed. What I used for the distilled water were two Tupperware, 1 liter, plastic bottles. They fit perfect into my CPAP case and two of these would easily work for a two week cruise. DO NOT fill them to the top. The water will expand when the cabin pressurizes and it possible they may leak.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old August 29th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Passenger

Thanks Mike- how recently did you fly with distilled water?

Here's hoping that the TSA workers at San Jose airport are savvy to the medical equipment exemption for liquids...

Old August 29th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The last time I flew with distilled water was last April. I had no problem at that time.

Take care,
Mike

Old August 31st, 2007, 02:00 PM
Captain

Have to agree with previous posters I once lugged a case of soda with me to San Juan Wasnt worth the trouble ended up leaving a lot of it for the cabin steward.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old August 31st, 2007, 03:04 PM
Passenger

Default How we handle soda and water -- getting it on the ship

We are addicted to Diet Coke and bottle water and would drink ourselves out of house and home if we didn't bring it on board. This is what we do.

We have two suit cases, large and medium. We put the medium into the large and then pack the medium full of our clothes, etc. Once we get into the port , we hail a taxi to the ship and ask the driver to stop at any near-by grocery store or convience store. (as a side note, we always buy the 20 oz plastic bottles, they are great to have in your pool bag on deck or take on shore with us). We then take the medium suitcase out of the large and fill it with the soda and water and check it through at the ship.

The cab costs only a little more than the transfers plus we're not packed on a bus with all the other people and have some flexibility and then we can buy all the water and soda we want.

Coming home now we have all the room we need in our suitcase to pack all the stuff we bought during the cruise -- you know how your suitcase always seems to shrink.
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Captain

Whatever you decide to do, check with the airlines ahead of time about what, if any type of liquid, you can carry in a carry on bag. They are now not allowing any type of creams, aerosol's or, I think, any type of liquids at all in a carry on bag and they are inspecting ALL bags for this. Many women were told at the security check point to go back and check in their hand lotions, shampoos etc or else throw them away. They aren't kidding around with this.

Interestingly, I was allowed to bring home some nice Martini glasses that RCI gave us in my carry-on bag ( I specifically asked the airline if it was ok before boarding). All one would have to do is break it while on board and have a very sharp edged weapon as good or better than a knife....But don't bring on that Jergens lotion lol....Makes alot of sense, doesn't it??
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have to agree that the ships have some of the best and coldest water around. However, I do bring Diet Cokes.

This time next week I will be packing the car heading for the airport!!

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!